• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Mary Had a Girl

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
How, if at all, would Christianity be different today if Mary had a girl instead of a boy?

Would this have had any significant impact on the world in which we live? If so, how?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
How, if at all, would Christianity be different today if Mary had a girl instead of a boy?

Would this have had any significant impact on the world in which we live? If so, how?
I think it would have made such a huge difference that it is impossible to say how exactly things would have turned out

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I don't know how but i guess Christianity would have been a very different animal if it existed at all.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I don't think that would've happened because it was a male that was prophesized. God also, in the Abrahamic religions, has revealed Himself in masculine terms, so it makes sense that He would incarnate into a male body.

Pretty much this ^^^

Also, it was a male dominated society. If Jesus had been born Josephina, the message would have died in obscurity. Constantine wouldn't have taken it and spread it out as well, as a female savior wouldn't have gelled well with his love of Apollo

rocala

if Mary had a girl instead of a boy?
Well, there was an alternative

1-22-20-terry-jones.jpg

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Assuming it wouldn't have died on the vine - which is likely - and developed into a full-fledged matriarchal monotheistic religion that others adopted and followed to the equivalent zeal as present Christians? Who knows. All I know is if there'd actually been decent female role models in Catholicism when folks were trying to indoctrinate me into it as a kid, I would have responded much better to it.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

she did have a girl. jesus had a sister. he also had brothers

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I don't think that would've happened because it was a male that was prophesized. God also, in the Abrahamic religions, has revealed Himself in masculine terms, so it makes sense that He would incarnate into a male body.
yet the spirit of god is feminine so god is not male or female because he created them in his image male and female. it's only masculine because of the tendency to patriarchy. in judaism god isn't no male than it is female.

siti

A bit more oxytocin and a bit less testosterone in the highest echelons of the religious and political traditions of the west...yep, I reckon that would definitely have produced a very different looking world.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member

Mary did have a girl - Matthew 13:56

If the teachings would be the same, I don't think it would be different. In my opinion Christianity is not a gender issue.

However, it seems that women have higher desire to become worshiped and to be the highest. And it is an interesting question, could a woman have resisted the temptation to get all the kingdoms and their glory?

Again the Devil takes Him to a very high mountain, and he showed to Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. And he said to Him. I will give all these things to You if falling down, You will worship me.
Matt. 4:8-9

Jesus and Christianity is in my opinion not about seeking high position.

For they bind heavy burdens that are grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not lift a finger to help them. But all their works they do to be seen by men. They make their phylacteries broad, enlarge the fringes of their garments, and love the place of honor at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues, the salutations in the marketplaces, and to be called 'Rabbi, Rabbi' by men. But don't you be called 'Rabbi,' for one is your teacher, the Christ, and all of you are brothers. Call no man on the earth your father, for one is your Father, he who is in heaven. Neither be called masters, for one is your master, the Christ. But he who is greatest among you will be your servant. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
Matt. 23:4-12

People who like to make it a power struggle between people, don't seem to understand what is the point of the teachings. Gender seems to be issue only for those who seek the high positions.