• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Jesus was God, explain this verse...

jetson

Matthew 4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

If Jesus was God, why was he tempted by the Devil? Can God be tempted by the Devil, his own creation?

Granted, he passed the test. But if he was God... Why was there a test in the first place? Does God need to test himself?

Are God and Jesus really one in the same? Please answer logically how this is possible given the verse above.
In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God and the Word was God. and the Word became man. Christ, was God, but laid His divine being to one side. As a man He could be tempted, just as we can. He still had these powers, but did not use them accept the way the disciples used the powers He gave them, to heal, forgive sin Etc. The disciple could not forgive sin. He was not testing Himself. He was here to saved mankind. It had to be someone with no sin. Man inherited sin from Adam, no way could he could even saved himself. Col. Chp. 1 states God is an invisible Spirit, but Christ was the visible image, the first born of everything, and by Him everything that is was made.

Shermana

Heretic
In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God and the Word was God. and the Word became man. Christ, was God, but laid His divine being to one side. As a man He could be tempted, just as we can. He still had these powers, but did not use them accept the way the disciples used the powers He gave them, to heal, forgive sin Etc. The disciple could not forgive sin. He was not testing Himself. He was here to saved mankind. It had to be someone with no sin. Man inherited sin from Adam, no way could he could even saved himself. Col. Chp. 1 states God is an invisible Spirit, but Christ was the visible image, the first born of everything, and by Him everything that is was made.

And the word was a god.

http://www.angelfire.com/space/thegospeltruth/trinity/verses/Jn1_1.html

kjw47

'Many translations in history had an a in the last line of John 1:1--a god( small g) Jesus is not the allmighty God--He serves the allmighty God- his Father=YHWH(Jehovah) John 20:17, rev 3:12) but I guess one has to believe Jesus over mens dogma to see the error filled trinity translations contradict Jesus' truth.

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
Matthew 4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

If Jesus was God, why was he tempted by the Devil? Can God be tempted by the Devil, his own creation?

Granted, he passed the test. But if he was God... Why was there a test in the first place? Does God need to test himself?

Are God and Jesus really one in the same? Please answer logically how this is possible given the verse above.

I suspect that the story about the temptation in the wilderness was a fabrication like many stories about Jesus in the canonical gospels. However, mortal life, in itself, can be seen as a trial for all of God's children to be continually and repeatedly tested until they, too, experience a renewing of their minds and become fit for immortality.

Prophet

God's authority is not necessary to forgive sin as God never took offense to sin to begin with.

Shermana

Heretic
God's authority is not necessary to forgive sin as God never took offense to sin to begin with.

Yeah God's totally cool with murder and rape and theft and false witness and cheating and adultery , he never takes offense to it whatsoever. He relishes in it instead.

This is the Scriptural debate page, if you want to try your New Age concepts, this is not the appropriate forum, unless you want to say that all of the scripture that indicates otherwise is wrong or interpolated, but even that's out of the scope of this forum.

Just helping you out.

garrydons

John 1:1 Says, "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. verse 14 says "And the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us. The Word who was with
God and who was God, was made flesh and dwelt among us. And this is Yeshua (Jesus in
English tranlation) And why was He tested despite being God? Coz God became human and nothing is impossible with Him.

Ken Brown

Hi Shermana and kjw47, I was hoping others would have chimed in about the "I AM" being a reference to Yahweh, and that Latuwr would have been debated, but as it stands, here is some evidence you both should consider.

First Shermana, you should consider that Yeshua would not have been speaking Greek when He referred to the "I AM," it would have been Hebrew, and the Jews hearing Him would have taken up stones to kill him because He was using the equivalent of the Hebrew name of Yahweh.

Secondly Shermana and kjw47, when the high priest rent his clothes, he was in violation to the Law of Moses, but an Oral Law superseded it. In the Mishna it states:

"He who blasphemes is liable only when he will have fully pronounced the Divine Name. Said R. Joshua ben Qorha, "on every day (of the trial) they examine the witnesses with a substituted name. When sentence was to be given they did not declare him guilty of death with the substituted name, but they put everyone out and ask the most important of the witnesses, saying to him, "Say, what exactly did you hear?" And he says what he heard. And the judges stand on their feet and tear their clothing, and they may not mend them again.(m.San. 7:5)"

In the above quote from the Mishna, witnesses who heard someone blaspheme and pronounce the Divine Name, would substitute a name when describing the blasphemy. But when sentence was to be given, the main witness would state exactly what he heard (pronouncing the Divine Name), and then the judges would rend their clothing. No further witnesses were needed once Yeshua pronounced the Divine Name.

Furthermore, the word used for "power" in Mat 26:64 was a way in which Yeshua was referring to Elohim, as Him sitting on the Right Hand of The Majesty (Divinity) also referred to in Heb 1:3 & 8:1.

Yeshua was THE Yahweh of the OT and He gave up His divinity (Phil 2), to become a man, and upon His resurrection, He was restored to that former Glory as Yahweh Elohim. KB

kjw47

Hi Shermana and kjw47, I was hoping others would have chimed in about the "I AM" being a reference to Yahweh, and that Latuwr would have been debated, but as it stands, here is some evidence you both should consider.

First Shermana, you should consider that Yeshua would not have been speaking Greek when He referred to the "I AM," it would have been Hebrew, and the Jews hearing Him would have taken up stones to kill him because He was using the equivalent of the Hebrew name of Yahweh.

Secondly Shermana and kjw47, when the high priest rent his clothes, he was in violation to the Law of Moses, but an Oral Law superseded it. In the Mishna it states:

"He who blasphemes is liable only when he will have fully pronounced the Divine Name. Said R. Joshua ben Qorha, "on every day (of the trial) they examine the witnesses with a substituted name. When sentence was to be given they did not declare him guilty of death with the substituted name, but they put everyone out and ask the most important of the witnesses, saying to him, "Say, what exactly did you hear?" And he says what he heard. And the judges stand on their feet and tear their clothing, and they may not mend them again.(m.San. 7:5)"

In the above quote from the Mishna, witnesses who heard someone blaspheme and pronounce the Divine Name, would substitute a name when describing the blasphemy. But when sentence was to be given, the main witness would state exactly what he heard (pronouncing the Divine Name), and then the judges would rend their clothing. No further witnesses were needed once Yeshua pronounced the Divine Name.

Furthermore, the word used for "power" in Mat 26:64 was a way in which Yeshua was referring to Elohim, as Him sitting on the Right Hand of The Majesty (Divinity) also referred to in Heb 1:3 & 8:1.

Yeshua was THE Yahweh of the OT and He gave up His divinity (Phil 2), to become a man, and upon His resurrection, He was restored to that former Glory as Yahweh Elohim. KB

If Jesus returned to his former glory as Yahweh--then how is it that while sitting at the right hand of power--Jesus teaches that he has a God-rev 3:12? You would have to teach that God has a God.
And how is it at Daniel 7:13-14--that Jesus gained access to himself and was brought forth to himself( ancient of days) so that he could give himself a kingship?---Jesus is not Yahweh. The one he gained access to--the ancient of days is Yahweh--Jesus' God--John 20:17, rev 3:12

Ken Brown

If Jesus returned to his former glory as Yahweh--then how is it that while sitting at the right hand of power--Jesus teaches that he has a God-rev 3:12? You would have to teach that God has a God.
And how is it at Daniel 7:13-14--that Jesus gained access to himself and was brought forth to himself( ancient of days) so that he could give himself a kingship?---Jesus is not Yahweh. The one he gained access to--the ancient of days is Yahweh--Jesus' God--John 20:17, rev 3:12

Hi kjw47, Yeshua IS Yahweh, but Yahweh/Yeshua is not the Father. The Father is ALL of the Elohim, united as ONE, with Yahweh/Yeshua as the Head. Yeshua/Yahweh by Himself is not as Great as the All in All. Those who are predestined, and called, are also ONE with the Father as Yeshua is ONE with the Father. It is a FAMILY of ELOHIM. KB

Shermana

Heretic
John 1:1 Says, "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. verse 14 says "And the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us. The Word who was with
God and who was God, was made flesh and dwelt among us. And this is Yeshua (Jesus in
English tranlation) And why was He tested despite being God? Coz God became human and nothing is impossible with Him.

No John 1:1c SHOULD say "And the word was a god", even prominent Trinitairans like Wallace and Moffat say it should read "Divine" as in "A divine being". The "Word was God" translation is simply more of a crowd pleaser for Trinitarians who want reconfirmation of their beliefs than anything close to grammatical accuracy. See the link provided above for more detail.

Anyone who thinks something can be WITH something they already are needs their logic license revoked.

Prophet

Yeah God's totally cool with murder and rape and theft and false witness and cheating and adultery , he never takes offense to it whatsoever. He relishes in it instead.

This is the Scriptural debate page, if you want to try your New Age concepts, this is not the appropriate forum, unless you want to say that all of the scripture that indicates otherwise is wrong or interpolated, but even that's out of the scope of this forum.

Just helping you out.

And thank you for whatever portion of that help was given with gracious motives. I endeavor to help you here as well.

It is my belief that time and circumstance have again set us on opposite sides through no fault of our own. Though you have forgone rational discussion of ideas with me at nearly every turn and have instead invariably turned to mockery, I believe yours is an attitude that no one would choose for themselves. I believe your refusal to engage in rational debate is the result of damage incurred to you by other damaged beings.

I wish to summarize the overarching conflict between our worldviews. While I could frame this any number of ways, I choose to see it in our concepts of what "good" is and where it comes from. You subscribe to a belief that God demands that we must act good lest he subject us to an eternal punishment. Furthermore, you see the message of the prophet Jesus as being in support of your belief that God takes offense to sin in this fashion. These are relatively traditional beliefs. I subscribe to a belief that God sees sinners as damaged beings who had little say in the time and circumstance of their existence. Even as sinners murder, rape, and disregard all reason and civility, I believe these sinners are to be pitied and suffer from pasts which, if judged honestly, wouldn't have left any of us in a much better condition.

Here is my view and my reasoning: Good is the selfless motive behind acts of goodness, not the acts themselves. When one performs acts of goodness for selfish gain, whether it be for reputation here or reward in the afterlife, the acts never rise above acting. Good cannot be motivated by fear of punishment. It can only be motivated by love.

Here is some Scriptural basis for my "New Age" beliefs:

You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[h] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
-Matthew 5:38-48

I believe this passage from Matthew 5 is a clear admonition from Jesus Christ to follow God's eternal example of perfection by treating all with love, regardless of how good they are.

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
- 1 John 4:18

I believe this passage form 1 John 4 stands in stark contrast to your personal holiness model of fear of punishment inspiring good.

kjw47

Hi kjw47, Yeshua IS Yahweh, but Yahweh/Yeshua is not the Father. The Father is ALL of the Elohim, united as ONE, with Yahweh/Yeshua as the Head. Yeshua/Yahweh by Himself is not as Great as the All in All. Those who are predestined, and called, are also ONE with the Father as Yeshua is ONE with the Father. It is a FAMILY of ELOHIM. KB

I don't know who teaches something like your post--but it contradicts Jesus' truth.

Shermana

Heretic
- 1 John 4:18

I believe this passage form 1 John 4 stands in stark contrast to your personal holiness model of fear of punishment inspiring good.

So one verse out of context trumps hundreds of other verses. Try 1 John 2 while you're at it. Have you even read all of 1 John 2? If so, you'd recognize that 1 John 4 does not stand alone in what you're trying to say. Thank you for demonstrating your concern for consistency.

Ken Brown

I don't know who teaches something like your post--but it contradicts Jesus' truth.

Hi kjw47, you are correct, you probably won't find many who understands as my post. Now, I would have to disagree with you about finding contradictions with it. What exactly contradicts anything Yeshua said? KB

kjw47

Hi kjw47, you are correct, you probably won't find many who understands as my post. Now, I would have to disagree with you about finding contradictions with it. What exactly contradicts anything Yeshua said? KB

John 17:1-6--While praying to his Father, Jesus calls the Father-THE ONLY TRUE GOD- ( one who sent Jesus-John 5:30) verse 6 = YHWH(Jehovah)
Paul taught the same at 1 Corinthians 8:6)-- One God to all-the Father.
Jesus taught he has a God-his Father-YHWH(Jehovah)John 20:17, rev 3:12

Shermana

Heretic
The concept of "The only true god" is like saying "The only true leader" even when there are subordinate leaders, it is a way of saying "The god of the gods" (Psalm 136:2).

Prophet

So one verse out of context trumps hundreds of other verses. Try 1 John 2 while you're at it. Have you even read all of 1 John 2? If so, you'd recognize that 1 John 4 does not stand alone in what you're trying to say. Thank you for demonstrating your concern for consistency.

I am clearly arguing that you are the one taking hundreds of verses out of context.

Shermana

Heretic
I am clearly arguing that you are the one taking hundreds of verses out of context.

That's nice, but it's clearly you who has no idea what he's talking about, since you have no actual response to what I said.

I would place my bets you have not actually read 1 John in its entirety. Or the Gospels for that matter. Or 2 or 3 John.

Perhaps one day you may take credibility seriously.