• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Jesus returned to this world, how would you know it was Jesus?

RestlessSoul

That could explain why so many Americans are complacent about the bad things going on in the world.....
Jesus is coming and He will fix everything. My Christian coworker told me that about five years ago.
Does anyone not see the danger in such a belief?

I do see the danger in such a belief, of course.

But I also see the danger of despair. All our incredible achievements as a species have brought us to the brink of a climate emergency.

We wonderful, educated, enlightened creatures are seemingly still addicted to the aquisition of material goods and comfort, wrapped up in the heartbreaking struggle for money and status.

Meanwhile the world is quite literally burning. How are we going to fix all that without spiritual help?

Clara Tea

If Jesus returned to this world, how would you know that he's Jesus?

Anyone can claim that he is the return of Jesus and that is no doubt why Jesus gave this warning to His disciples:

Jesus is the one that some modern Christian nailed to a cross for practicing what Jesus perceives is Christianity. But Christianity has changed a lot in recent times. Now "thou shalt kill" in Iraq (and torture camp in Guantanamo, outside of the reach of US laws). Imagine the cheekiness of the guy (Jesus) for suggesting donations to feed the poor, universal health care (Obamacare), and other reforms.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I do see the danger in such a belief, of course.

But I also see the danger of despair. All our incredible achievements as a species have brought us to the brink of a climate emergency.

We wonderful, educated, enlightened creatures are seemingly still addicted to the aquisition of material goods and comfort, wrapped up in the heartbreaking struggle for money and status.

Meanwhile the world is quite literally burning. How are we going to fix all that without spiritual help?
I agree about the materialism and the despair and the need for spiritual help, but believing in the fantasy that Jesus is going to return and fix everything for us so we won't have to do anything is not a solution. The only solution is for humans to seek spiritual truth and do something about the world situation.

Toward a New World Order?

RestlessSoul

I agree about the materialism and the despair and the need for spiritual help, but believing in the fantasy that Jesus is going to return and fix everything for us so we won't have to do anything is not a solution. The only solution is for humans to seek spiritual truth and do something about the world situation.

Toward a New World Order?

For what it's worth, I don't think Jesus is coming back. But I do believe that God is always with us. And we need spiritual help and guidance now more than ever.

Whatever faith or practice brings you closer to the source of divine light, is to be encouraged imo. We each have our own path I think, though we are never left to walk it completely alone.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
For what it's worth, I don't think Jesus is coming back. But I do believe that God is always with us. And we need spiritual help and guidance now more than ever.

Whatever faith or practice brings you closer to the source of divine light, is to be encouraged imo. We each have our own path I think, though we are never left to walk it completely alone.
In my faith we are assured that God is closer to us than we are to ourselves, even if we are forgetful of Him and unaware of Him when our heart is far removed from Him.

"Meditate on what the poet hath written: “Wonder not, if my Best-Beloved be closer to me than mine own self; wonder at this, that I, despite such nearness, should still be so far from Him.”… Considering what God hath revealed, that “We are closer to man than his life-vein,” the poet hath, in allusion to this verse, stated that, though the revelation of my Best-Beloved hath so permeated my being that He is closer to me than my life-vein, yet, notwithstanding my certitude of its reality and my recognition of my station, I am still so far removed from Him. By this he meaneth that his heart, which is the seat of the All-Merciful and the throne wherein abideth the splendor of His revelation, is forgetful of its Creator, hath strayed from His path, hath shut out itself from His glory, and is stained with the defilement of earthly desires." Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 186

I agree, we need to walk our own path, whatever brings us closer to God, and I believe we need to accept others who walk a different path and appreciate them for their differences.

There is BEAUTY AND HARMONY IN DIVERSITY

I am very grateful for everyone on this forum because I know I am never walking alone. :)

John1.12

Free gift
All of the 2.4 billion Christians will be with Jesus when he returns? How does that work?
How did you put a number on it ? But yes ALL believers who are alive and remain at the coming of the Lord ,will be caught up .
1 thes 4

¶But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

14For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

15¶For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

18Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Christians are first called Christians in Antioch

I only believe the bible is from God . So offering me something written by a man saying that I should discount 13 letters of the bible is pointless .
Who ever gave you the idea that anyone associated with the Baha'i Faith ever said we should discount Paul's letters? I only said it is often different from what Jesus said. The official Baha'i position is explained here:

Apostle Paul, a "False Teacher"?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Jesus was right, because many men have come claiming to be Jesus.
in Abrahamic religions, making a claim does not cost any money and you are not required to provide any proof. So any Tom, Dick or Harry can chime in. Wikipedia also has list of people claiming to be God all-mighty himself / prophets / imams / messengers / mahdis, etc.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Christians are first called Christians in Antioch

I only believe the bible is from God . So offering me something written by a man saying that I should discount 13 letters of the bible is pointless .
Baha'u'llah never said that we should discount Paul's letters. Regarding the Gospels, Baha'u'llah wrote to the Muslims, calling them foolish for saying that the Gospels had been corrupted:

“We have also heard a number of the foolish of the earth assert that the genuine text of the heavenly Gospel doth not exist amongst the Christians, that it hath ascended unto heaven. How grievously they have erred! How oblivious of the fact that such a statement imputeth the gravest injustice and tyranny to a gracious and loving Providence! “How could God, when once the Day-star of the beauty of Jesus had disappeared from the sight of His people, and ascended unto the fourth heaven, cause His holy Book, His most great testimony amongst His creatures, to disappear also?” The Kitáb-i-Íqán, p. 89

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
in Abrahamic religions, making a claim does not cost any money and you are not required to provide any proof. So any Tom, Dick or Harry can chime in. Wikipedia also has list of people claiming to be God all-mighty himself / prophets / imams / messengers / mahdis, etc.
Anyone can make any claims they want to but people would be foolish to believe them if they had no evidence to back up their claims.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Not one . Of course people will then still be saved during the tribulation.
What people will be saved? And the Christians, where are they going to go after they meet the Lord in the air? Are they going to heaven, or coming back to earth? The JWs believe they will be resurrected to live forever on earth and only a few will go to heaven.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I am told that becoming a Bahai will solve all problems. ;)
Anyone can make any claims they want to but people would be foolish to believe them if they had no evidence to back up their claims.
I do not think there is any dearth of foolish people. And then, people have different views on what constitutes evidence. Some take what is written in Kitab-i-Aqdas as God's own truth, others will differ.
What people will be saved? And the Christians, where are they going to go after they meet the Lord in the air? Are they going to heaven, or coming back to earth? The JWs believe they will be resurrected to live forever on earth and only a few will go to heaven.
After-life, resurrection is a big dangling carrot. Do Bahais believe in that?

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
After-life, resurrection is a big dangling carrot.Do Bahais believe in that?
No, we do not believe our physical bodies will be resurrected back to life. We believe our physical bodies will die and our soul will leave our body and pass to the spiritual world where it will take on a new form, a spiritual body, and live forever.

John1.12

Free gift
Who ever gave you the idea that anyone associated with the Baha'i Faith ever said we should discount Paul's letters? I only said it is often different from what Jesus said. The official Baha'i position is explained here:

Apostle Paul, a "False Teacher"?
Something to do with, every time I quote Paul you dismiss it . Its as if you believe Paul unless it disagrees with my religion, but I'm saying rather that its really when Paul disagrees with Jesus . If I had a pound for how many people have an issue with Paul I'd be a rich man .

John1.12

Free gift
People who believe the message of the Kingdom, who do not take the mark of the beast, who endure to the end ,will be saved .