• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Jesus could heal blind men, why didn't he just heal blindness?

Do you believe the story of Jesus healing the blind?

• Yes! Jesus performed this amongst many miracles

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • There is some truth to it but it was not a miracle

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No! It's a made up story

Votes: 31 44.3%

• Total voters
I am asking this question in order to figure it out, trying to make sense of it and it seems like most Christians just attack me right away as soon as I raise a question. So please help me understand the reason, and please give me a good reason, not something under the lines of because God wants millions of blind children suffering out there so we appreciate our eyes.
Thank you

Last edited:

Union jack

The only sense I can make out of it is that, for whatever reason, some people can be healed because they are ready whereas others art not.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Yeah, we Christians are ready with our machetes ready to hack anyone who dare question our religion. (Hahaha- just kidding)

Because we are still not perfect- we are still going to be born with flaws or lose our eyesight, our hearing, our limbs, etc. I doubt this answer is good enough for you, but... ;)

Edit: Welcome to the RF. :)

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I myself was born without a left ear, thanks to a rare congenital condition called microtia that afflicts 1 out of every 8,000 infants. No one knows what causes it. My left ear canal's been scarred shut for as long as I can remember; this can often make it very difficult for me to hear people if they're not talking either in front of me or to the right of me. I once got a prosthetic outer ear when I was a kid, so I could wear it and not have to deal so often with the (honestly, genuinely curious) questions of "What happened to your ear?"

Of course, my condition doesn't affect both my ears, and I'm not totally deaf. God willing, I might even be able to get that old ear canal opened up one day. However, having microtia does make it easier for me to sympathize with others who have physical handicaps. It's definitely a cross that I have to bear, but I don't complain. I'm able to succeed in spite of it. I'm the first person on either side of my family to graduate Magna Cum Laude, I'm half-fluent in German, and I'm working on studying Russian as well.

I also remember my health teacher in middle school telling us about a student he once had, who was either born without hands, or lost them due to an accident. Despite this handicap, he still did well in school; he was able to write with his mouth (and, as he told us, his writing was neater than a lot of students' handwriting!) He also told us of a girl who had no eyes in her eye sockets, but whose eyes had grown on her cheeks instead, and whose mouth was shaped like a fish's. She also did very well in school and even made friends, despite her birth conditions.

My point in all these personal stories and anecdotes is, having a physical handicap or birth defect doesn't necessarily make us suffer. We're still able to succeed and live enriching, meaningful lives, despite whatever issues we may have. Our handicaps don't have to limit our choices in what we want to do. And those millions of blind children will often prove to be sources of comfort, support and compassion for each other, for their "normal" families and their "normal" friends.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I

My point in all these personal stories and anecdotes is, having a physical handicap or birth defect doesn't necessarily make us suffer. We're still able to succeed and live enriching, meaningful lives, despite whatever issues we may have. Our handicaps don't have to limit our choices in what we want to do. And those millions of blind children will often prove to be sources of comfort, support and compassion for each other, for their "normal" families and their "normal" friends.

Amen! :)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
My son is autistic. He is 20 now, but when he was little, I was angry at God for a time. And then I realized that my son is not a burden to me, he is a gift. He is not unhappy- quite the opposite, he laughs all the time and has a good humor and people love him. He is able to work at certain jobs (he goes to job sites with his school) I am not angry at God anymore. I know that God did not cause it.

Union jack

Luke 22:51 And Jesus answered and said, Suffer ye thus far. And he touched his ear, and healed him.-

Thanks for adding context for me- That is indeed a miracle beyond my comprehension.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I myself was born without a left ear, thanks to a rare congenital condition called microtia that afflicts 1 out of every 8,000 infants. No one knows what causes it. My left ear canal's been scarred shut for as long as I can remember; this can often make it very difficult for me to hear people if they're not talking either in front of me or to the right of me. I once got a prosthetic outer ear when I was a kid, so I could wear it and not have to deal so often with the (honestly, genuinely curious) questions of "What happened to your ear?"

Of course, my condition doesn't affect both my ears, and I'm not totally deaf. God willing, I might even be able to get that old ear canal opened up one day. However, having microtia does make it easier for me to sympathize with others who have physical handicaps. It's definitely a cross that I have to bear, but I don't complain. I'm able to succeed in spite of it. I'm the first person on either side of my family to graduate Magna Cum Laude, I'm half-fluent in German, and I'm working on studying Russian as well.

I also remember my health teacher in middle school telling us about a student he once had, who was either born without hands, or lost them due to an accident. Despite this handicap, he still did well in school; he was able to write with his mouth (and, as he told us, his writing was neater than a lot of students' handwriting!) He also told us of a girl who had no eyes in her eye sockets, but whose eyes had grown on her cheeks instead, and whose mouth was shaped like a fish's. She also did very well in school and even made friends, despite her birth conditions.

I have to agree with you. It really was completely redundant for Jesus to heal a blind man. He didn't really have to be healed... :rolleyes:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
My son is autistic. He is 20 now, but when he was little, I was angry at God for a time. And then I realized that my son is not a burden to me, he is a gift. He is not unhappy- quite the opposite, he laughs all the time and has a good humor and people love him. He is able to work at certain jobs (he goes to job sites with his school) I am not angry at God anymore. I know that God did not cause it.

Me and your old self would get along very well. We both despise omission.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
This and other events are miracles?

It seems to me at some point....we ALL develop the ability to do things by will.

I see this as needful.

I'm not there yet....still working on it.
(though some events in my life lean to some accomplishment)

See it this way....
If no one ever gains the ability....then death takes away ALL ability.

Not much cause for continuance is all ability fails.

And no support can be made for Creation... IF... will cannot influence substance.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Sounds like ye might be served from some course or study in mythology and what it's purpose is given the framing of the poll options imply a simplistic understanding of its role in culture and religion. "Do you believe in mythos X?" is an odd question to those of us who don't take mythology literally. It's not about believing in it, it's about understanding the truths and lessons of the story. That is often a matter of personal interpretation or the doctrines laid out by a particular sect/tradition. As I'm not a Christian, I wouldn't be the person to speak to that, but others here have offered some good insights.

rusra02

Premium Member
I am asking this question in order to figure it out, trying to make sense of it and it seems like most Christians just attack me right away as soon as I raise a question. So please help me understand the reason, and please give me a good reason, not something under the lines of because God wants millions of blind children suffering out there so we appreciate our eyes.
Thank you

I believe the answer relates to the reason why God has allowed human suffering. Man rebelled against God, bringing untold trouble upon himself and his unborn offspring (Romans 5:12). Jehovah purposes to end human suffering in his time and way. (Romans 8:20,21) This includes opening the eyes of all blind ones, completely removing the illnesses afflicting us today, and even removing death. (Isaiah 35:5,6 25:8) The miracles Christ performed are a guarantee that God will fulfill his promises, and proved that Jesus is the Messiah through whom these blessings will come. It was not God's purpose to end all suffering until his due time, but these miracles Jesus performed show Jehovah's compassionate concern for people who do suffer.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Curing blindness would be counter productive to God's plan. He needs us to see he is powerful and can cure these "weaknesses". But, if he fixed everything why would we go running to him? How could he be so powerful if we didn't have to rely on him? It's basic politics

outhouse

Atheistically
Thank you

As a atheist, I don't think you want to debate this as much as pointing out the obvious contradiction in early belief.

You don't believe in the supernatural do you?

Its my opinion its a literary creation because early Christians were competing with the Emperors divinity, and wanted to make their deity more powerful by performing miracles.

There is the possibility of a historical core as well. I once had a long sticker that went in the corner of my eye with barbs holding it a 1/2" inside my eye socket. It was painful. If Jesus had pulled a sticker out and washed the mans eyes or goop out because it had been semi infected from pink eye, it would have been a miracle, or perceived as such. Also ground up dried herbal leaves with certain healing properties would have seemed like mud to a crowd.

No I don't believe it, but I am trying to understand how others do, and if so why couldn't Jesus just heal all blind innocent kids. Unfortunately, yet again I did not receive a reply that actually answers the question :(

As a atheist, I don't think you want to debate this as much as pointing out the obvious contradiction in early belief.

You don't believe in the supernatural do you?

Its my opinion its a literary creation because early Christians were competing with the Emperors divinity, and wanted to make their deity more powerful by performing miracles.

There is the possibility of a historical core as well. I once had a long sticker that went in the corner of my eye with barbs holding it a 1/2" inside my eye socket. It was painful. If Jesus had pulled a sticker out and washed the mans eyes or goop out because it had been semi infected from pink eye, it would have been a miracle, or perceived as such. Also ground up dried herbal leaves with certain healing properties would have seemed like mud to a crowd.

outhouse

Atheistically
No I don't believe it, but I am trying to understand how others do, and if so why couldn't Jesus just heal all blind innocent kids. Unfortunately, yet again I did not receive a reply that actually answers the question :(

I addressed your question as good as it deserved.

I don't think you want to debate this as much as pointing out the obvious contradiction in early belief.

You dont believe in deities yet ask why a deity doesnt do the impossible.

Your taking the scripture out of context, you might as well ask why we all dont live in pure bliss 24/7, only because that bad ole god doesnt give it too us.

I also explained quite clearly that the authors may have believed he healed a mans eyesight, and wrote about it. But you ignored that as well. You place it as a fictional account, and then ask why couldnt the create fiction that he healed everyone everywhere.

The answer is your question doesnt make any sense.

What do you really want to debate about here?

well my question was directed towards Christians who believe Jesus healed blind men. I think it does make sense, it's just a question, there must be a reason why Jesus decided he won't heal blindness and I don't think making a mockery of all blind people was the reason.

outhouse

Atheistically
well my question was directed towards Christians who believe Jesus healed blind men. I think it does make sense, it's just a question, there must be a reason why Jesus decided he won't heal blindness and I don't think making a mockery of all blind people was the reason.

He is said to have healed a blind man, isnt that good enough for you?

He wasnt mocking all blind people.

Not only that in Mark he is not really viewed as a god with unlimited powers, your attributing more there then is really written.

He was a traveling teacher who healed and taught to "who he ran across that was ill"