• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Hell is a place of eternal torment

WonderingWorrier

As I matured I started figuring out that there was no reason to be ashamed of who I was and for being attracted to who I was attracted. It was a hard fought battle to even be comfortable with myself.

I'm not gay so I can only imagine the struggle you have been through.
I know throughout the Pacific Islands it is common knowledge that there is more than two genders.
I've also heard Native Americans knew this.

I wonder. Could gay people be a natural way of having dedicated aunts and uncles in a community as they are not attracted to people that would result in breeding and having children of their own?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I'm not gay so I can only imagine the struggle you have been through.
I know throughout the Pacific Islands it is common knowledge that there is more than two genders.
I've also heard Native Americans knew this.

I wonder. Could gay people be a natural way of having dedicated aunts and uncles in a community as they are not attracted to people that would result in breeding and having children of their own?

There are hypotheses that homosexuality has evolutionary advantages in social animals for exactly this reason; and that may be why we see it in social mammals, social birds (like penguins), bonobos, so on and so forth (and obviously humans).

There doesn't appear to be a single gene responsible, but there are hundreds of genes in complex networks that may be related.

WonderingWorrier

There are hypotheses that homosexuality has evolutionary advantages in social animals for exactly this reason; and that may be why we see it in social mammals, social birds (like penguins), bonobos, so on and so forth (and obviously humans).

There doesn't appear to be a single gene responsible, but there are hundreds of genes in complex networks that may be related.

That makes sense. It would be helpful.
And the nonbreeders trait has not been bred out of the population.
They continue to appear all over the world.

I have a question.
Where do people get the idea that gay people will go to Hell?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
That makes sense. It would be helpful.
And the nonbreeders trait has not been bred out of the population.
They continue to appear all over the world.

I have a question.
Where do people get the idea that gay people will go to Hell?

I don't know about other religions; but in most Christian worldviews, homosexuality is sin, and any sin is enough to go to Hell that isn't absolved by Jesus's sacrifice.

WonderingWorrier

I don't know about other religions; but in most Christian worldviews, homosexuality is sin, and any sin is enough to go to Hell that isn't absolved by Jesus's sacrifice.

That doesnt make sense.
I hear people say Jesus sacrificed himself to cleanse people of their sins.
So the sin of being homosexual isn't counted?

What is their reasoning that homosexuality is a sin?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
That doesnt make sense.
I hear people say Jesus sacrificed himself to cleanse people of their sins.
So the sin of being homosexual isn't counted?

What is their reasoning that homosexuality is a sin?

The idea is that a person has to accept the sacrifice and stop sinning as best they can. There are several admonitions against homosexual sex in the Bible (that’s where they get the idea).

WonderingWorrier

The idea is that a person has to accept the sacrifice and stop sinning as best they can. There are several admonitions against homosexual sex in the Bible (that’s where they get the idea).

So they say the sinners will go to Hell, and they should stop sinning as best they can.

That would mean the sacrifice of Jesus was definitely not for cleansing all peoples sins.
How can that be accepted?

Where does it say no homosexual sex in the Bible?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
So they say the sinners will go to Hell, and they should stop sinning as best they can.

That would mean the sacrifice of Jesus was definitely not for cleansing all peoples sins.
How can that be accepted?

Where does it say no homosexual sex in the Bible?

I mean, you're preaching to the choir here: I'm a nontheist and a lesbian. I did used to be a Christian, but I feel my responses are more terse on this because it feels like speaking for someone else, and especially when I'm speaking about things I don't agree with.

WonderingWorrier

I mean, you're preaching to the choir here: I'm a nontheist and a lesbian. I did used to be a Christian, but I feel my responses are more terse on this because it feels like speaking for someone else, and especially when I'm speaking about things I don't agree with.

I'm try to understand the logic behind the idea. Thought you may have looked into it before.

I've now had a look into attaching the city of Sodom to homosexual sex.

It comes from the word "Know" (Hebrew - Yada)

So the men of Sodom wanted to "know" the men in Lots house.

And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them. Genesis 19:5

And the daughters of Lot have not "known" man:

Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof. Genesis 19:8

And Adam "knew" Eve:
And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the Lord.

So to know someone means to have sex with them.
So when the men of Sodom wanted to "know" the men in Lots house, that means they wanted to have anal sex with them.

From this interpretation of the story of Sodom, we now have the word Sodomy which means anal sex.

I guess that can make sense if disregarding all the hundreds of other bible verses that have the word "know".

I wonder if true Christian men really "know" Jesus.