• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Hell is a place of eternal torment

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
If Hell is a place of eternal torment, do you think it is good that God allows a place like this to exist?

How do you reconcile finite crimes with infinite punishments?

What is your theory of justice: for instance, Hell seems purely retributive: since someone is ostensibly there forever, there could be no rehabilitative purposes for it.

What about belief? Some worldviews believe that people will go to Hell for mere nonbelief in a savior or religion in general. How do you reconcile that without thinking your god is terrible?

Basically, for those that believe in Hell as a place of eternal torment, can you help me understand why you believe this is real, and why it doesn't cause you to think your god is a monster?

We Never Know

No Slack
If Hell is a place of eternal torment, do you think it is good that God allows a place like this to exist?

What is your theory of justice: for instance, Hell seems purely retributive: since someone is ostensibly there forever, there could be no rehabilitative purposes for it.

What about belief? Some worldviews believe that people will go to Hell for mere nonbelief in a savior or religion in general. How do you reconcile that without thinking your god is terrible?

Basically, for those that believe in Hell as a place of eternal torment, can you help me understand why you believe this is real, and why it doesn't cause you to think your god is a monster?

What if there are two god's? One good and one evil and they both can make things happen.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

My guess is that, at the time people were writing about these things, their only real view and understanding of authority was generally some king or comparable figure, who ruled with an iron fist and imposed all kinds of painful and horrible punishments on lawbreakers. That was just the normal thing to them, so it likely seemed just as normal to expect the King of Kings to act in a similar manner.

Of course, there's the idea of Purgatory, from which one might be paroled eventually.

Viker

Häxan
I believe Hell to be only metaphoric for what many use as a "trash pit" for both deities/daimons and other undesirables. I can't conceive it being real. Why?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Justice is when the punishment is proportionate to the crime. What offense can any human commit that's equal in severity to eternal damnation? Also, what point is there to punishment without penitence, atonement, and rehabilitation? Sadistic gratification?
As for crime, it's typically defined as an action that endangers, harms, or violates the right of an innocent person; I.e. something that victimizes. So when it comes to errant beliefs being deemed an offense, who's the victim? An insecure god with a frail ego?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Look at it this way .. The diamond is considered to be the toughest thing we know of, but compared to another diamond they are equal.

They're tough, they're not unbreakable though. Omnipotence is more than just 'really, really, really powerful'.

I get that you can have multiple super powerful beings, powerful beyond our comprehension.
But 2 omnipotent beings? No...they limit each other.

We Never Know

No Slack
They're tough, they're not unbreakable though. Omnipotence is more than just 'really, really, really powerful'.

I get that you can have multiple super powerful beings, powerful beyond our comprehension.
But 2 omnipotent beings? No...they limit each other.

Yet each diamond, being all tough, can damage each other. Its not a limit. Its they are equal.