• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If China has multiple languages then why do Chinese students in the West converse in Mandarin?

ronki23

I am quite confused about languages in China.

From experience I studied with lots of Chinese from Mainland, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Malaysia.

So if person A speaks Yue (Cantonese), person B speaks Hokkien and person C speaks Wu (Shanghainese) then why don't they just speak to each other in English rather than Mandarin? Surely it'd be just as difficult for them to learn Mandarin as it would English?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Mandarin (Beijing hua) is the official language.

First, the written language is pretty much universal in the simplified version, but the older complex Chinese is still used. The written language became very standard early in Chinese history during the Qin Dynasty ( 221 to 206 BC). Second, Neither Mandarin, nor Beijing hua are really acceptable. Mandarin is relect word for Northeast China used by the British and the Japanese. The proper term is Standard National or Common Chinese or best putong hua. Third, the different regions of China are remnants of the cultures of the different kingdoms and minorities of ancient China. The different dialects range from similar to radically different.

The region around Hong Kong is a fairly extensive linguistic minority speaking Guang Dong hua.

This is similar, sort of, with the diverse Latin languages beginning in the Roman Empire of southern Europe and their evolution.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
First, the written language is pretty much universal in the simplified version, but the older complex Chinese is still used. Second, Neither Mandarin, nor Beijing hua are really acceptable. Mandarin is relect word for Northeast China used by the British and the Japanese. The proper term is Standard National or Common Chinese or best putong hua. Third, the different regions of China are remnants of the cultures of the different kingdoms and minorities of ancient China. The different dialects range from similar to radically different.

The region around Hong Kong is a fairly extensive linguistic minority speaking Guang Dong hua.

This is similar, sort of, with the diverse Latin languages of Europe and their evolution
I'll stand by my post.
Ref...
Chinese language - Wikipedia
Standard Chinese (Pǔtōnghuà/Guóyǔ/Huáyǔ) is a standardized form of spoken Chinese based on the Beijing dialect of Mandarin. It is the official language of China and Taiwan, as well as one of the four official languages of Singapore. It is one of the six official languages of the United Nations. The written form of the standard language (中文; Zhōngwén), based on the logograms known as Chinese characters (汉字/漢字; Hànzì), is shared by literate speakers of otherwise unintelligible dialects.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I'll stand by my post.
Ref...
Chinese language - Wikipedia

I lived in China nine years and learn Chinese on the ground. I do not consider Wikipedia always accurate, but careful reading will find it generally agrees with me. If you will notice in your reference it does not refer the name of the Standard Chinese as Bejing hua, but refers to Standard Chinese as based on the Beijing dialect. This sort of accurate in that the region around Beijing was the dominant evolved language spoken that evolved to Standard Chinese spoken language by the Han majority of the region, which over time dominated China. Note from the reference "Standard Chinese (Pǔtōnghuà/Guóyǔ/Huáyǔ) is a standardized form of spoken Chinese"

Zhong wen is the standard written language, which I was referencing the spoken language.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I lived in China nine years and learn Chinese on the ground. I do not consider Wikipedia always accurate, but careful reading will find it generally agrees with me. If you will notice in your reference it does not refer the name of the Standard Chinese as Bejing hua, but refers to Standard Chinese as based on the Beijing dialect. This sort of accurate in that the region around Beijing was the dominant evolved language spoken that evolved to Standard Chinese spoken language. Note from the reference "Standard Chinese (Pǔtōnghuà/Guóyǔ/Huáyǔ) is a standardized form of spoken Chinese"

Zhong wen is the standard written language I was referencing the spoken language.
In the context of the OP, you add a level of precision which is
similar to correcting a claim that pi = 3.14 by saying it's really
3.14159. Seems a needless victory, eh?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
In the context of the OP, you add a level of precision which is
similar to correcting a claim that pi = 3.14 by saying it's really
3.14159. Seems a needless victory, eh?

No, it is really more like
3.14159265359 . . . and on and on ad Infinitum,

My description was just plain more accurate.

ronki23

What I meant is I don't get why Chinese expats speak Mandarin to each other if they have their own languages. Surely they could speak English to each other

tempogain

What I meant is I don't get why Chinese expats speak Mandarin to each other if they have their own languages. Surely they could speak English to each other

People of more recent generations grew up speaking Mandarin in school, hearing it on TV etc. Mandarin really is "their own language" in most cases, and they'll be entirely comfortable speaking it to each other. English on the contrary will be a foreign language to them, though they may have more or less fluency.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
English is really difficult for many non-English speakers. Many people simply aren't adept at learning languages. When relating with another person, actual communication is key.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Language has cultural context when communicating between people of the same culture. Foreign languages lack that cultural context for native speakers. If the Chinese are of the same regional minority they will use that language. It is a fact of life among Chinese that personal life is dominantly within their particular culture. When communicating between these minorities and the dominant Han they speak Standard Chinese.

Actually Chinese consider learning English a commercial and diplomatic tool to communicate internationally and do not consider it a personal language.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In my family, some are more fluent in it, while for others it's cultural.
(I know they're talking about me when I hear "yang guizi".)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm going to assume that Mandarin IS their language despite regional flavours. It seems a logical conclusion.
Believe it or not, being fluent in a language is not the same as being comfortable speaking it. Learning languages like English might be good for a base Lingua Franca internationally speaking, more or less.
But if it's your second language then you have to kind of think about it when speaking it. Your native language on the other hand is more like breathing. You just do it.
My Ma is from Fiji and the Lingua Franca is English, since it's taught in all levels of School.
Though she and her friends and family are completely fluent in English and have been for over 50 years, they will instantly fall back on Fijian Hindi, despite the regional dialects of their own respective families, in order to talk to each other. It's just easier to do so. I've also noticed that in times of great stress or sadness or even fear, my mother will cease to speak English and speak Fijian Hindi exclusively.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Do they understand Mandarin in Hong Kong? What percentage speak it?
Standard Chinese (Mandarin is bad term in China) is taught in schools all over China, as well as the regional dialect 'Guang Dong hua for Hong Kong and Guang Dong Province. The cultural regional dialect remains the dominant personal communication within each culture, and Standard Chinese is used academically in all universities and colleges, most TV, and official communications, The older generations may not know Standard Chinese well and do not use it as often, and neither do they know English well..

Last edited: