• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Adam had not sinned.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The text is a mix of physical and spiritual concept.

Eating from the tree of knowledge.....was physical?....not likely.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It was not Gods original purpose for man someday to die.
Are you really saying Adam and Eve's "sin" somehow was a glitch in God's plan, that He didn't know full well what was going to happen? Do you really think He wouldn't have been completely able to keep them from "sinning" if He'd wanted to? Why on earth would He have allowed Lucifer to tempt them if He'd wanted them to remain innocent and without hope of progressing for ever and ever? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
had they not sinned, would they have children?
I don't believe they would have done. I believe that they would have remained in ignorance and innocence (i.e. childlike) in the Garden of Eden forever, never experiencing sickness, pain, discouragment or anything we would see as negative. Consequently, they would have never been able to learn to choose between good and evil, and would never have had the opportunity to grow and progress. Since they did not become fully mortal until after they ate the fruit, they could neither reproduce nor die. (As my answer probably implies, Mormons hold Adam and Eve in pretty high regard.)

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
I don't believe they would have done. I believe that they would have remained in ignorance and innocence (i.e. childlike) in the Garden of Eden forever, never experiencing sickness, pain, discouragment or anything we would see as negative. Consequently, they would have never been able to learn to choose between good and evil, and would never have had the opportunity to grow and progress. Since they did not become fully mortal until after they ate the fruit, they could neither reproduce nor die. (As my answer probably implies, Mormons hold Adam and Eve in pretty high regard.)

actually katzpur, i corrected myself...a few posts later
god told them to be fruitful and multiply before that fateful day...
;)
but you did bring up interesting points...

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
actually katzpur, i corrected myself...a few posts later
god told them to be fruitful and multiply before that fateful day...
;)
but you did bring up interesting points...
I saw that, but I added what I did because Mormons believe that it would have been impossible to keep the commandment of "being fruitful and multiplying" until after they had broken the commandment not to eat the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Before being cast out of the Garden of Eden, they didn't even know they were naked. We see that as an indication that in terms of their sexual desire, they were pretty much like children. They may have physically had all of the "parts" necessary to reproduce, but in Eden, their sexual desires simply didn't exist. They were made mortal when they were made to leave the Garden, and with mortality comes the ability to procreate and the guarantee of death at some point. I think most Christians think we'd all be living blissfully in Eden today if they'd never eaten the fruit. We LDS don't believe that.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I saw that, but I added what I did because Mormons believe that it would have been impossible to keep the commandment of "being fruitful and multiplying" until after they had broken the commandment not to eat the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Before being cast out of the Garden of Eden, they didn't even know they were naked. We see that as an indication that in terms of their sexual desire, they were pretty much like children. They may have physically had all of the "parts" necessary to reproduce, but in Eden, their sexual desires simply didn't exist. They were made mortal when they were made to leave the Garden, and with mortality comes the ability to procreate and the guarantee of death at some point. I think most Christians think we'd all be living blissfully in Eden today if they'd never eaten the fruit. We LDS don't believe that.

which goes to show you that god set man up to fail...in his all knowingness...he knew, that is why he said be fruitful and multiply.

to add, the entire idea of nakedness being wrong is sort of strange to me...

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
which goes to show you that god set man up to fail...in his all knowingness...he knew, that is why he said be fruitful and multiply.
God set man up to succeed, to become as He is. The first step in the process was to be able to distinguish between good and evil.

to add, the entire idea of nakedness being wrong is sort of strange to me...
Did somebody say something about nakedness being wrong?

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
why else would they be ashamed of their nakedness?
I think it was embarrassment due to suddenly becoming sexually aware. If you were three years old and had been hanging out naked with someone of the opposite sex and then suddenly had the feelings and sexual awareness of a twenty-year old, and realized that the two of you were naked, you'd probably feel a little awkward. Then again, maybe you wouldn't. I just know I would. (Honestly, how do people come up with questions like this? :facepalm:)

Koldo

Outstanding Member
So you actually believe in a species of tree that can impart specific knowledge as the fruit is consumed?

The tree of knowledge is as real as Tarzan, in the context of their stories.
In the same way that Tarzan exists, so does the tree of knowledge.
If they indeed exist, then they are not simply metaphors.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I think it was embarrassment due to suddenly becoming sexually aware. If you were three years old and had been hanging out naked with someone of the opposite sex and then suddenly had the feelings and sexual awareness of a twenty-year old, and realized that the two of you were naked, you'd probably feel a little awkward. Then again, maybe you wouldn't. I just know I would. (Honestly, how do people come up with questions like this? :facepalm:)

i think this story was a way to explain why it is we are embarrassed to show our nakedness...

the reason for silly questions is because its a story that has many many holes in it...

being sexually aware shouldn't be something to be ashamed of...imo.
it is a natural process...

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
If Adam had not sinned, would he eventually have gone to heaven?

John 3:13 “no man has ascended into heaven but he that descended from heaven, the Son of man”

Acts 2:29 “Men, brothers, it is allowable to speak with freeness of speech to YOU concerning the family head David, that he both deceased and was buried and his tomb is among us to this day. ... 34 Actually David did not ascend to the heavens

if king David did not go to heaven, what makes you think that Adam might have?