• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If a faith were proven..

Muhktar

Alhamdulillah
Regardless of what faith you are and what you believe in, imagine for a second.

Consider if these points were what was PROVEN real today:

• There was a God
  • He was the only God
  • There was scientific proof of this
  • There was a judgement day
  • There was punishment for those who disobeyed
Now, if this were the case, do you think people would leave their faith for this one? Would you leave yours? Or if you had no faith, would you then become religious and believe in this one?
Do you think people who had differing ideas to this faith, regarding for example.. homosexuality, euthanasia, drugs, murder etc... would they reject this God because of this differing opinion? Regardless of the proof of punishment afterwards?

What other issues do you think would arise?

(also sorry I had this whole thing typed out in more detail and better explained but my computer 'finished installing updates', and I stupidly clicked "Restart Now" without thinking, and therefore had to start AGAIN.)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

• There was a God
  • He was the only God
Now, if this were the case, do you think people would leave their faith for this one? Would you leave yours? Or if you had no faith, would you then become religious and believe in this one?
If I was confronted with convincing proof that it was true, I'd believe it. However, I would only follow it if it seemed to be good.

But a question for you: do you think it would even be possible for those points to be proven? Personally, I doubt that some of them are provable.

Do you think people who had differing ideas to this faith, regarding for example.. homosexuality, euthanasia, drugs, murder etc... would they reject this God because of this differing opinion? Regardless of the proof of punishment afterwards?
Yes, possibly. Sometimes sticking to one's convictions is worth the cost. Don't you have some moral beliefs that you would never compromise, even if threatened with horrible harm?

But why those things? It seems like you're assuming the Muslim god is the one that's proven. Say for argument's sake that it's the Christian God who's proven true; would you worship the Trinity and drink sacramental wine as part of the Eucharist?

A

angellous_evangellous

If I was confronted with convincing proof that it was true, I'd believe it. However, I would only follow it if it seemed to be good.

But a question for you: do you think it would even be possible for those points to be proven? Personally, I doubt that some of them are provable.

Yes, possibly. Sometimes sticking to one's convictions is worth the cost. Don't you have some moral beliefs that you would never compromise, even if threatened with horrible harm?

But why those things? It seems like you're assuming the Muslim god is the one that's proven. Say for argument's sake that it's the Christian God who's proven true; would you worship the Trinity and drink sacramental wine as part of the Eucharist?

Ah, now that's too close to home.

How 'bout all the Hindu gods.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I would be sorta bummed to find out that some god has decided to finally show his presence only to find he will be wiping the slate clean keeping only the good people. Hopefully the punishments will fit the crime and not just some eternal hell no matter what the sins were. Depending on the demands of such a god I may or may not be willing to adhere to them. If I'm going to be destroyed for it there is not much I can do against such a powerful entity.

rojse

RF Addict
Apart from trying to contact God to ask for the winning numbers in the lottery, I'd behave as I normally do.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

• There was a God
  • He was the only God

(also sorry I had this whole thing typed out in more detail and better explained but my computer 'finished installing updates', and I stupidly clicked "Restart Now" without thinking, and therefore had to start AGAIN.)

By the way you describe it, I would consider such a god to be evil and unworthy of worship, so I would instead fight to liberate humanity from its tyranny.

lunakilo

• There was a God
  • He was the only God
As others have pointed out, if it was proven it wuldn't be a faith anymore, but yes if I was convienced that a certain faith was correct I would convert. It would be pretty silly to hold onto belifs that I know to be wrong.

That depends on what you mean by reject. If God told me that my ideas where wrong I might dislike him, but I wouldn't disbelieve him. If I am convienced he is the one true god then he is the one true god even if I don't agree with him.

Possible moral dilemma.
What if in order to be saved and not punished on judgement day I would have to do something I believe to be wrong.
Would I trust that God the almighty knows best and do what I fell is wrong in order to get the good result of being among the 'good guys', OR would I decide that God is simply evil and I must do what I feel is right even is that means God will punish me?

Divine intervention? :)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

• There was a God
  • He was the only God

I just can't see it. If such a God did exist, he would be unworthy. I might become a Maltheist, I suppose.

I sure hope so. Such a caricature of a God is not to be respected, after all.

Actually, I would expect differing opinions to be just an additional incentive. The true reason to reject such a God is its own bizarre nature.

In fact, I fully expect that many, even most of the current faithful would reject such a deity and turn against him. It is something of a moral duty, as I see it.

Well, suicides would grow up absurdly and everyone would be miserable, I suppose.

Muhktar

Alhamdulillah

I didn't say that those stated issues were looked upon by God in the Muslim way, I just said anything concerning those topics for example. If this God were pro homosexuality or anti homosexuality it didn't matter, it was just an example.

And if it were the Christian God (same God.... just believed to be obeyed and worshipped differently) that were proven true, yes I would follow that faith. Same goes for Hinduism, Taoism, whatever. If it were God's will I would follow it.
As for some differing opinions of topic, like if I disagreed with this God's views on something, whatever it may be, I would try to change it in my heart to feel differently. Yes I do have certain moral codes however the way I see it, the One who created me and everything else is surely to have a better understanding on whatever it is that is in topic, therefore who am I to say this view is wrong?

Another interesting point i've thought of is what war would then appear, and so quickly.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
As for some differing opinions of topic, like if I disagreed with this God's views on something, whatever it may be, I would try to change it in my heart to feel differently. Yes I do have certain moral codes however the way I see it, the One who created me and everything else is surely to have a better understanding on whatever it is that is in topic, therefore who am I to say this view is wrong?
Why is it necessarily "better"?

Whatever else you could say about a God's perspective, it's going to be different from yours. Why would you assume that the wants and needs of a God would line up with your own wants and needs? Maybe God is in a better position to know what's best, but his "best" is going to be what's best for God. This isn't necessarily the same as what's best for you.

Also, there are some judgements that are aesthetic and aren't really based on objective facts at all. I mean, even God couldn't say better than you could which ice cream flavour should be your favourite.

Muhktar

Alhamdulillah
Why is it necessarily "better"?
For example, if you write code for a program, you understand it better. If God creates this life, He understands it better.

Whatever else you could say about a God's perspective, it's going to be different from yours. Why would you assume that the wants and needs of a God would line up with your own wants and needs? I don't assume that the wants and needs of this God would line up with mine

Maybe God is in a better position to know what's best, but his "best" is going to be what's best for God. This isn't necessarily the same as what's best for you.

I don't assume that the wants and needs of this God would line up with mine. In this scenerio, there could be a vast great many possibilities, I have no idea what would line up with what. What I'm saying is that whatever was wanted or needed, I would do what I could to line myself up with that, not hope or assume that it lined up with me.

Also, there are some judgements that are aesthetic and aren't really based on objective facts at all. I mean, even God couldn't say better than you could which ice cream flavour should be your favourite.

I suppose that is true, yes. But if for some reason liking a certain ice cream flavour was not supposed to be my favourite, I'd try and change it. But hey, I love chocolate and if I can't not love chocolate, no matter how hard I try, then I guess I still love chocolate and I can't do anything about that.

Alwayslearning

By the way you describe it, I would consider such a god to be evil and unworthy of worship, so I would instead fight to liberate humanity from its tyranny.

Maybe this is a stupid question but do you think God is evil because he would be sending you to hell ? And if hell is a place where people sharing the same ideas and are in agreement spend time together what is so bad about it ? Also what do you think of law? Should people go to jail ?

idea

Question Everything
There are many things which are proven which I do not devote my life to.... knowing something is true is not the same as creating followers. Many people do not devote their life/education/careers to physics even though we know most of physics is true...

It's not merely a matter of knowing it is true - it concerns building bonds / creating followers / forming relationships. Relationships are built on trust. If there is no trust, there is no real depth in the relationship. Another name for trust, is faith.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For example, if you write code for a program, you understand it better. If God creates this life, He understands it better.
Do you think this is necessarily true?

I mean, it seems to me that you're assuming that any creator of the universe must automatically be a moral authority. I don't think that this is a valid assumption. IMO, the questions are separate.

I don't assume that the wants and needs of this God would line up with mine. In this scenerio, there could be a vast great many possibilities, I have no idea what would line up with what. What I'm saying is that whatever was wanted or needed, I would do what I could to line myself up with that, not hope or assume that it lined up with me.
Why? I mean, hypothetically, say God exists and has a plan for the universe, but as part of that plan, humans are being raised as livestock to be eaten by some other species. Why should we go along with it?

I don't think I would have any moral obligation to willingly accept this situation.

You say that you would try to follow God's wants and needs; why should you do that if it's at the expense of your own self-interest, or against the interest of other things that you value?

I suppose that is true, yes. But if for some reason liking a certain ice cream flavour was not supposed to be my favourite, I'd try and change it. But hey, I love chocolate and if I can't not love chocolate, no matter how hard I try, then I guess I still love chocolate and I can't do anything about that.
But how does the edict of a God become a moral imperative? If you and God disagree on something, how does God's opinion become what you are "supposed" to do?