• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Idiot Public School Superintendent Upset Because He Can't Display The 10 Cs

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If private citizens pay for a plague or statue, and the board approves it. It can be displayed.
That's not true with public schools though if there's a clear-cut religious aspect to the plaque or statue, and displaying the Ten Commandments is very much a religious display. The federal courts have consistently decided against these displays, including the SCOTUS.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The school is not allowed to spend govt money to promote ideology. If private citizens pay for a plague or statue, and the board approves it. It can be displayed.
Theyre still promoting Christian ideals, and since those aren't the actual 10 Commandments they dont have much ground to stand on. They want it on display--in a building that functions on our tax money, an institute that is supposed to be disinterested in religion--they want it on display "thou shalt have no other gods before [Jehovah]." That is a problem, that is unconstitutional, and it has no business or right being promoted in or on public ground. That is utterly and entirely the antithesis of "congress shall make no laws respecting the establishment of religion or infringe in the free practice thereof."

metis

The Christian faith permeates the US. I was watching Jeopardy the other night, and the 3 teens were a Hindu, a Muslim, and a Christian. When the very often 'Bible' topic came up, the Christian kid got all 5 answers correct, while the other two looked dumbfounded. He went on the win, and the opportunity for some decent money.
I caught that as well, and mentioned to my wife what would have happened if the topic was dealing with the Qu'ran? I don't think they should avoid religious themes but I do believe they should be more varied.

metis

It makes me wonder how many schools are out there where Christian stuff is displayed, but nobody has complained yet.
I'm quite sure there's quite a few.

At our place up in da U.P., the public library, built in 1899, had a large picture of Jesus on the wall, but one morning about 5 years ago I went and the picture was gone.

Unless someone complains, they'll often ignore the rulings.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Just take a look around here. Clearly, this isn't an atheist thing. What youre saying is different than claiming the separation of church and state is an atheist invention when in reality Baptists were some of the biggest supporters of keeping state and church separate.
Ok , we will leave it at that then.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
That's not true with public schools though if there's a clear-cut religious aspect to the plaque or statue, and displaying the Ten Commandments is very much a religious display. The federal courts have consistently decided against these displays, including the SCOTUS.

Only when the school pays for the religious plague/statue/whatevs.

If a community of private citizens pays for it, and the school board voted to allow it. It's perfectly legal.

Enoch07

Premium Member
That is a problem, that is unconstitutional.

Not in this particular case.

That is utterly and entirely the antithesis of "congress shall make no laws respecting the establishment of religion or infringe in the free practice thereof."

And that has been fulfilled here. The school did not use tax money to buy the plague. It was donated by private citizens almost 100 years ago. Now they was asked to take it down voluntarily and they did, so it's all perfectly legal and on the up and up. But it was completely voluntary and if they wanted the headache of taking it to court, the plague would have stayed.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Not in this particular case.

And that has been fulfilled here. The school did not use tax money to buy the plague. It was donated by private citizens almost 100 years ago. Now they was asked to take it down voluntarily and they did, so it's all perfectly legal and on the up and up. But it was completely voluntary and if they wanted the headache of taking it to court, the plague would have stayed.
Its the issue that "thou shalt have no other gods before me" is fundamentally incompatible with "freedom of and from religion," especially when you consider that on several instances in the Bible execution is prescribed to those who do worship other gods. They are a public school, and such a mandate on display there is unsuitable and inappropriate.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Its the issue that "thou shalt have no other gods before me" is fundamentally incompatible with "freedom of and from religion," especially when you consider that on several instances in the Bible execution is prescribed to those who do worship other gods.

You do realize that only applies to Christians/Jews correct?

They are a public school, and such a mandate on display there is unsuitable and inappropriate.

It's up to each community to decide that, not you or anyone else outside of that community.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm quite sure there's quite a few.

At our place up in da U.P., the public library, built in 1899, had a large picture of Jesus on the wall, but one morning about 5 years ago I went and the picture was gone.

Unless someone complains, they'll often ignore the rulings.

At the school I worked at, it was the same. Some talk, little action. Mostly it was Christian charities they'd do fundraising for. Nobody complained, and I. as a staff member, was put in even more awkward position. As for Jeopardy, they could easily just get rid of the Bible as a topic, or at least far less of it. Sometimes luck of the topic is involved, like if there is a competitor from Minnesota, and Minnesota comes up as a topic. But that's fairly rare. Seems they have the Bible 3 or 4 times a week.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You do realize that only applies to Christians/Jews correct?
That would only make such a display even more unacceptable.
It's up to each community to decide that, not you or anyone else outside of that community.
Wrong. They recieve federal funding, and thus should be expected to follow the same lolicies and guidelines set forth by the federal government. And, realistically, such communitarian politics have a tendency of making things bad, if not worse, for minorities.

Shad

Veteran Member
Yup, but that varies. Some buy very Christian programs, while others do secular winter celebrations. At least here.

Around here it is the Christian type. The city is dominated by Christians to the point they removed the secular celebration by unanimous vote in the district board

PureX

Veteran Member
The school is not allowed to spend govt money to promote ideology.
That too, but the separation of church and state is not just about money, it's based on a principal. And the heart and soul of that principal is that we do not allow the state to 'sanction' any religious ideology. And teaching it in a state sponsored school is certainly an example of the state sanctioning religious ideology.
If private citizens pay for a plague or statue, and the board approves it. It can be displayed.
This is simply not true. The content matters more than who pays for it.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
That’s right. It would be risky. It would be a burden. It would be completely irresponsible, too, since what the District is doing is illegal.
\

Actually, it is legal:

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 10.24.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 10.23.59 AM.png

Which makes your OP quite stupid. :D

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
... And especially in consideration of the separation of church and state. LOTS of religious folks recognize the wisdom of that, and support it.
Some of the strongest secularists I know are devoutly religious people who don't want the government getting involved in their personal beliefs and behavior.
Tom

Enoch07

Premium Member
And teaching it in a state sponsored school is certainly an example of the state sanctioning religious ideology.

It's not being taught though.

This is simply not true. The content matters more than who pays for it.

Incorrect, if private money is used and the school board approves it then it's perfectly legal and doesn't violate the constitution. It's up to each local community to decide what's right for itself. Not you or anyone else outside of that community.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
\

Actually, it is legal:

View attachment 30384 View attachment 30385

Which makes your OP quite stupid. :D
You know what's ironic about this?
SCOTUS has supported everything from slavery to feticide "rights". But not the 10 Commandments.
I recognize the history of those old decorations, and I'm basically pretty conservative. I'm in favor of keeping all that old stuff. But not pretending that it supports US values or ethics.
If it did, Trump wouldn't be president.
Tom