• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Identity

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
What is most crucial to your identity? For example, what would you say it is that motivates most of your life that without it you'd lose your sense of self? How would other people who know you answer this? What would it take for you to no longer recognise yourself?
I suppose the main one as to losing any identity would be in being so divergent from what my mother was, since she was as good an example as I could have wanted to be, and it hasn't taken too much to keep to what I think she would have wanted even though there have been some bad times. I seem to have come through these as well as I might have hoped, and often better than I might have supposed.

I think I've only ever asked what others thought about me whilst a youth, and since I've rarely had to try to make friends the issue doesn't bother me that much. Looking back, there have been times when I would have said - this is just not you - but fortunately I did come through and did recognise what was going on, even if a bit later than it should have done.

Mr Motivator left the house many decades ago, so there isn't much left other than trying to understand all that I see and experience, and try to be less judgmental than I might be, given that the world isn't seemingly going in any of the directions I would like it to be going.

Bird123

What is most crucial to your identity? For example, what would you say it is that motivates most of your life that without it you'd lose your sense of self? How would other people who know you answer this? What would it take for you to no longer recognise yourself?

I find these questions strange. If you are true to yourself then who you are is who you are. If you are not true to yourself then the view can change at a whim. You stay lost.

The only thing that really counts is who you really are. Are you a chameleon who changes at the whim of others and all or are you a rock?

We define who we are through our choices and actions, so regardless of these choices, that is who we are.

WE have a reason half and a feeling half. If you lead with the reason half, you will always know who you are. If you lead with the feeling half, you can get lost in a sea of emotions. It's never fun being lost. Defining yourself on a feeling will never allow you truly define yourself for feelings can change at a blink of an eye. Reason and being true to yourself is the steady path.

We all have the ability to choose what we deem important. If we choose what people think over who we are, how can we ever be true to ourselves? You have chosen to make who you are second to other things.

WE are all so special in so many ways. Who we are and our free choices are important not only to us but to those around us. Free choices are far too important to allow others to make our choices for us.

It doesn't matter what everyone else chooses to do. It's what you choose to do that counts. If you stick with this, you will be who you are. It's mighty hard to get lost being who you really are. It's when one chooses not to be who one really is that knowing who one is will be confusing.

Be who you must! It's a part of the plan!!

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
-My God(s)
-My spiritual-religious system
-The examples set by my father, my (late) grandmother, and some of my best friends and teachers... and how those examples have affected my development.
-A deep connection to the desert and storms
-Equal fascination of Heavens and Hells
-Fascination with nature and space
-Extremely competitive
-Significant artistic inclination
-Passion for creation and destruction
-Strategic
-Formidable willpower
-Passion for athleticism, health and fitness
-Pride in myself, my God(s), my country, my family and friends
-Loyalty to myself, my God(s), my country, my family and friends

Also:
Some of my weaknesses include impatience, arrogance, and a general unwillingness to connect with most people.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

I'd say I self identify as a utilitarian and one who values critical thinking (which is a work in progress ;) )