• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ideas for reducing and counteracting effects of psychological abuse

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Maybe what I was thinking was that people who could be damaged by what’s happening in a forum wouldn’t keep coming back to it long enough for that to happen. Why would they?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I've actually had phone conversations with some who had been driven out and were in tears describing the pain of having to leave
I should have clarified, when I said that I wasn’t sure that people are damaged in Internal forums, I was thinking of permanent damage. I wasn’t doubting that people are injured.

Ayjaydee

I should have clarified, when I said that I wasn’t sure that people are damaged in Internal forums, I was thinking of permanent damage. I wasn’t doubting that people are injured.
No reason to think some of it wouldn't last. People make real friendships in these forums

Jim

Nets of Wonder
No reason to think some of it wouldn't last. People make real friendships in these forums
That’s the possibility that I saw, being betrayed by someone that a person thought was a friend. I can see that possibly doing permanent damage.

Last edited:

Ayjaydee

That too, but you're forgetting the trauma of having to leave a family that you've been sharing discussions with for a long time

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Anyway, the point that I was aiming for was that if a person is trying to learn what to do when they see emotional abuse, they can practice what they’re learning in Internet discussions, because it happens there. After that I want to say that anything we do to help reduce and counteract its harmful effects online might help do that offline.

Ayjaydee

Anyway, the point that I was aiming for was that if a person is trying to learn what to do when they see emotional abuse, they can practice what they’re learning in Internet discussions, because it happens there. After that I want to say that anything we do to help reduce and counteract its harmful effects online might help do that offline.
As long as you realize that by challenging the abuser, you could transfer the abuse to yourself

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Gather information about emotional abuse and the resources available.
  • You don't have to solve the problem, but you can provide support and information.
  • Look in the front of your phone book for the crisis line or women's shelter for services in your area.
  • Get information on emotional abuse so you can understand what she is going through.
  • If the woman does not speak English, there may be services in her language, or cultural interpreters available.
  • If the woman has a disability, or is deaf, make sure you refer her to appropriate services.
Responding to Emotional Abuse: How You Can Help Someone You Know | Springtide Resources

That’s about helping abused women, but I think that it can be applied to anyone. Now I want to do some research on resources for people when they’re targets of online cruelty, and how to educate people about that in Internet discussions.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Now I’m thinking of this as being about personal attacks and cruelty, which are conscious and intentional sometimes, and sometimes not. That includes what people sometimes call bullying and abuse. Recently in some other threads I was surprised to see people openly admitting that they use personal attacks and cruelty for their purposes in the forums, for example to try to discredit what other people are saying, or even just for self-gratification, as if that makes it right for them to do it.

Last edited:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
“As with other forms of bullying the target of cyberbullying may be in need of emotional support. Key principles here include reassuring them that they have done the right thing by telling someone; recognising that it must have been difficult for them to deal with; and reiterating that no-one has a right to do that to them.”