• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ideas? Decryption and Politics

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I am interested in tapping the ideas you might have on how to deal with a situation that is hypothetical. As you know the world economy and security depend upon encryption technology. Mathematicians currently believe that decryption will never be trivial and will always require a lot of computing time for most people. Now suppose I (I have not) but just suppose I or someone find a trivial way to reverse any encryption. What should I do? Should I keep it a secret? Which countries should get the information first? Should I find a way to profit? Can I use it to accomplish some greater good?

Your ideas would be appreciated. Just imagine a scenario that you think would represent the best course of action to take if someone were to find a way to break all encryption.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Destroy imperialist countries. Distribute wealth. The whole spiel, if you will.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Isn't that the basis for Kerchkoff'/Shanon's principle?
I will take a look at that and get back to you on it.
Kerckhoffs's principle - Wikipedia

Some governments might keep their servers isolated from the internet, true. Most people don't really follow that Kerckhoff's principle; because they need to communicate. Therefore they need to rely upon encryption. Most also don't understand how it works. If suddenly the foundational principle were discovered to be wrong then the first party with the ability to crack any encryption codes -- that party could obtain almost any secured information with it. They would instantly be a super hacker. Without a lot of extra effort they could forge credentials, too.

So if one were to discover that key encryption was never going to be secure again, how should they go about protecting everyone from the results of that? What would be the smart way to reveal the truth? Call the local ambassador or what? Secretly publish a warning? Get rich first and then publish it?

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Destroy imperialist countries. Distribute wealth. The whole spiel, if you will.
Would that result in a lot of people dying? I would prefer to avoid that and also avoid triggering a war or massive starvation scenarios.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Would that result in a lot of people dying? I would prefer to avoid that and also avoid triggering a war or massive starvation scenarios.
'Tis your duty. With all encryption being yours to command, there need not be any bloodshed other than those unwilling to lick the ground you walk upon. The oppressors, if you will. The ones whose job it is to suspend the class consciousness. The whites, in a historical sense.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
'Tis your duty. With all encryption being yours to command, there need not be any bloodshed other than those unwilling to lick the ground you walk upon. The oppressors, if you will. The ones whose job it is to suspend the class consciousness. The whites, in a historical sense.
So what I (would in that case hypothetically) need to do is hire someone clever to help me to control the situation and gradually awaken the public while I make a profit, carefully avoiding worldwide extinction level dangers. If I can crash decryption then it behooves me to reveal it in some gradual way to the public before some other less merciful agent does. On the other hand I am not the type who could seize power without a lot of casualties, plus I don't want to ruin republics and democracies. I'd settle for prestige and a famous burial in my old age. What would you do, specifically in my (hypothetical) shoes?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
In some ways, this isn't so different than a bug bounty where you get paid to find mistakes in code. The key is revealing you know how to do something while not revealing the method to the public until there has been time to deal with larger effects.

My first impulse would be to announce you had done this via a relatively secure method. Before doing so, make sure there are copies of the algorithm distributed in places where they can be revealed if something bad happens to you.

I would probably announce by writing to some security professionals and mathematicians involved in cryptography. I would start by asking for challenge problems whose solution can be used to verify you know what re doing. Managing to decrypt a few messages cold will get attention from those who need to know.

I would NOT advise doing 'superhacker' activities. Instead, by doing the reveal slowly and with some finesse, you can almost certainly get a cushy job as a security consultant somewhere and not have to worry about getting caught.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
In some ways, this isn't so different than a bug bounty where you get paid to find mistakes in code. The key is revealing you know how to do something while not revealing the method to the public until there has been time to deal with larger effects.

My first impulse would be to announce you had done this via a relatively secure method. Before doing so, make sure there are copies of the algorithm distributed in places where they can be revealed if something bad happens to you.

I would probably announce by writing to some security professionals and mathematicians involved in cryptography. I would start by asking for challenge problems whose solution can be used to verify you know what re doing. Managing to decrypt a few messages cold will get attention from those who need to know.

I would NOT advise doing 'superhacker' activities. Instead, by doing the reveal slowly and with some finesse, you can almost certainly get a cushy job as a security consultant somewhere and not have to worry about getting caught.
That is good advice! If I notify security experts using aforementioned methods they will then be able to warn everyone through official channels that encryption is no longer secure. That will initiate a retreat from encryption.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I will take a look at that and get back to you on it.
Kerckhoffs's principle - Wikipedia

Some governments might keep their servers isolated from the internet, true. Most people don't really follow that Kerckhoff's principle; because they need to communicate. Therefore they need to rely upon encryption. Most also don't understand how it works. If suddenly the foundational principle were discovered to be wrong then the first party with the ability to crack any encryption codes -- that party could obtain almost any secured information with it. They would instantly be a super hacker. Without a lot of extra effort they could forge credentials, too.

So if one were to discover that key encryption was never going to be secure again, how should they go about protecting everyone from the results of that? What would be the smart way to reveal the truth? Call the local ambassador or what? Secretly publish a warning? Get rich first and then publish it?
I don't know if it's true that most people don't follow this principle as I haven't seen any statistics. Sure there are definitely government cyphers that are not revealed to the public, but there remains a very large public community in the cryptography field.

I think it's agreed upon that except maybe for One-Time Pads, all cyphers are vulnerable to brute force attacks...with enough time and computing power. We rely on the complexity and length of the key to extend the time that takes to an unreasonable amount. That means that as computing power increases, algorithms become obsolete and we need to find new ones. In that respect, I don't think it's worth wasting time worrying about decrypting keys: since we know how complex a key may be, we can determine how long it would take to decrypt it based on current computational resources. For instance, the now (hopefully) defunct Data Encryption Standard (DES):

In 1977, Diffie and Hellman proposed a machine costing an estimated US$20 million which could find a DES key in a single day.[1][28] By 1993, Wiener had proposed a key-search machine costing US$1 million which would find a key within 7 hours...

The feasibility of cracking DES quickly was demonstrated in 1998 when a custom DES-cracker was built by the Electronic Frontier Foundation(EFF), a cyberspace civil rights group, at the cost of approximately US$250,000 (see EFF DES cracker). Their motivation was to show that DES was breakable in practice as well as in theory: "There are many people who will not believe a truth until they can see it with their own eyes. Showing them a physical machine that can crack DES in a few days is the only way to convince some people that they really cannot trust their security to DES." The machine brute-forced a key in a little more than 2 days' worth of searching.

The next confirmed DES cracker was the COPACOBANA machine built in 2006 by teams of the Universities of Bochum and Kiel, both in Germany. Unlike the EFF machine, COPACOBANA consists of commercially available, reconfigurable integrated circuits. 120 of these field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs) of type XILINX Spartan-3 1000 run in parallel. They are grouped in 20 DIMM modules, each containing 6 FPGAs. The use of reconfigurable hardware makes the machine applicable to other code breaking tasks as well.[29] One of the more interesting aspects of COPACOBANA is its cost factor. One machine can be built for approximately $10,000.[30]The cost decrease by roughly a factor of 25 over the EFF machine is an example of the continuous improvement of digital hardware—see Moore's law. Adjusting for inflation over 8 years yields an even higher improvement of about 30x. Since 2007, SciEngines GmbH, a spin-off company of the two project partners of COPACOBANA has enhanced and developed successors of COPACOBANA. In 2008 their COPACOBANA RIVYERA reduced the time to break DES to less than one day, using 128 Spartan-3 5000's. SciEngines RIVYERA held the record in brute-force breaking DES, having utilized 128 Spartan-3 5000 FPGAs.[31] Their 256 Spartan-6 LX150 model has further lowered this time.

In 2012, David Hutton and Moxie Marlinspike announced a system with 48 Xilinx Virtex-6 LX240T FPGAs, each FPGA containing 40 fully pipelined DES cores running at 400 MHz, for a total capacity of 768 gigakeys/sec. The system can exhaustively search the entire 56-bit DES key space in about 26 hours and this service is offered for a fee online.[32][33]
What this demonstrates is that as Moore's Law expresses, as time passes, computer power increases resulting in more efficient brute-force attacks against algorithms. But it also demonstrates that until a certain point, decrypting a key through brute-force while technically possible, it's generally not feasible without access to supercomputers. One way of staving off that time is by increasing the complexity of the algorithms and keys: 3DES, Elliptic Curve (ECC), and cutting edge quantum and post-quantum cryptography serve that goal.

Lastly, it also demonstrates that studies on algorithms are ongoing and publicized. What we do worry about is finding exploits - flaws in the algorithms themselves or in their implementation. Aside from academic research, there are a number of well-known databases and forums for sharing zero-day exploits - and I think it wouldn't be wrong to say that a large chunk of our cyber security relies on these public forums. That's more often how cyphers become insecure, as is the case perhaps most famously with WEP and it's algorithm RC4, which can be cracked within minutes.

By publicizing this information, we all learn to be more secure and we all become engaged in the search for greater security. And I think that is the point of Kerchkoff's principle.