• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I would like some information on your belief system

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
What is the mormon view of the Eucharist?
We don't refer to it by that name, but we do observe it. You may find it interesting (I know I did) that the Latter-day Saints, like the Roman Catholics, still hold to all seven of the original sacraments, even though they are known by different names and are performed differently. I don't believe any of the Protestant Churches do. For my LDS buddies who may just have concluded that I've lost a few marbles, here they are:

1. Baptism
2. Confirmation
3. Penance (confessing one's sins)
4. The Lord's Supper (we just call this one "the Sacrament"; it's the one Catholics call either the Eucharist or Communion).
5. Marriage
6. Holy Orders (we would say "receiving the priesthood")
7. Annointing of the sick (I believe Catholics used to refer to this as "Extreme Unction" but that it has been called something difference since the Second Vatican Council)

With regards to the Eucharist ("the Sacrament" to LDS), we receive this particular sacrament or ordinance every Sunday. We have a separate prayers for the bread and for the water (why not wine? I can explain if you'd like), and we partake of these in remembrance of the Savior's Atonement and to renew the covenants we entered into when we were baptized. We do not believe in the doctrine of transsubstantiation or real presence.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
:D Please do...
Okay. Well, in the early days of the LDS Church, we actually did use wine. The practice changed when Joseph Smith received a revelation in which he was cautioned against buying wine from any of the sources available because of the threat of poisoning. That revelation can be found in the Doctrine & Covenants, Section 27. Here are a couple of verses from that section...

For, behold, I say unto you, that it mattereth not what ye shall eat or what ye shall drink when ye partake of the sacrament, if it so be that ye do it with an eye single to my glory--remembering unto the Father my body which was laid down for you, and my blood which was shed for the remission of your sins. Wherefore, a commandment I give unto you, that you shall not purchase wine neither strong drink of your enemies; Wherefore, you shall partake of none except it is made new among you; yea, in this my Father's kingdom which shall be built up on the earth.

This took place prior to the revelation we refer to as the Word of Wisdom. That revelation, as you probably know, forms the basis of our health code and forbids alcohol. By the time it was received, the practice of substituting water for the wine was pretty well in place. Brigham Young later said, "I anticipate the day when we can have the privilege of using, at our sacraments pure wine, produced within our borders. I do not know that it would injure us to drink wine of our own make, although we would be better without it than to drink it to excess."