• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I wish i had known.....

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I wish I have known 20 years ago how little I actually know about life, and truth. Then maybe i would have been a more wise man today......
I wish I had understood how simple the answer to the truth is, Because if I had known, I would not have been wandering around in darkness for so long. And still there is a lot of fog that has to be cleaned out.

Life as a human being is a school of finding the truth. But when society tries to hide the truth and make humans live in darkness then it is not easy to live a life of truthfulness.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've been thinking similar lately. To go back 20 years and be 13 again would be to give me an entirely different life, possibly a much better one, but even just 10 years would drastically alter things. However, at least I have learned the things I have and acted on them before I'm old and have (under normal circumstances, anyways) plenty of time still to enjoy a life of it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I've been thinking similar lately. To go back 20 years and be 13 again would be to give me an entirely different life, possibly a much better one, but even just 10 years would drastically alter things. However, at least I have learned the things I have and acted on them before I'm old and have (under normal circumstances, anyways) plenty of time still to enjoy a life of it.
To think what if.. is maybe a wrong path all together, but as you say, maybe life would have been different today if we only knew what not to do during our lifetime :) I guess that is known as experience :) But since we realize half-way into life what we could have done, it is not too late to turn around and do it correctly :)

We Never Know

No Slack
I wish I have known 20 years ago how little I actually know about life, and truth. Then maybe i would have been a more wise man today......
I wish I had understood how simple the answer to the truth is, Because if I had known, I would not have been wandering around in darkness for so long. And still there is a lot of fog that has to be cleaned out.

Life as a human being is a school of finding the truth. But when society tries to hide the truth and make humans live in darkness then it is not easy to live a life of truthfulness.

Many of us wish similar things but in reality if we could change anything, probably even the littlest thing, would it be worth it?
Take for example someone with several kids. If they could go back and change any aspect of their life, they more than likely wouldn't have the kids they have now or friends or life or etc.
Would going back and changing things be worth it to them? .

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Many of us wish similar things but in reality if we could change anything, probably even the littlest thing, would it be worth it?
Take for example someone with several kids. If they could go back and change any aspect of their life, they more than likely wouldn't have the kids they have now or friends or life or etc.
Would going back and changing things be worth it to them? .
Probably it is a very personal answer to your question :) Some would maybe change it, some would do exactly the same again and again :)

We Never Know

No Slack

I'm a big fan of the phrase "if you think life sux and you have it bad, look around and you will see many others that have it worse".

For example over 130,000 people died today. Anyone alive is better than them.
Then let's look at those diagnosed with cancer, diabetes, etc(any disease).
Then let's look at the homeless, then the hungry, then the modern trafficked sex slaves, then,,,,

Just a few reasons why I like the phrase "if you think life sux and you have it bad, look around and you will see many others that have it worse".

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'm a big fan of the phrase "if you think life sux and you have it bad, look around and you will see many others that have it worse".

For example over 130,000 people died today. Anyone alive is better than them.
Then let's look at those diagnosed with cancer, diabetes, etc(any disease).
Then let's look at the homeless, then the hungry, then the modern trafficked sex slaves, then,,,,

Just a few reasons why I like the phrase "if you think life sux and you have it bad, look around and you will see many others that have it worse".
The OP was not a call to say "I have a bad life" but a realization that if i had paid attention to the path 20 years ago, I would maybe have understood truth differently than I have done so far in my life. It's a realization that Truth changes according to our understanding :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
To think what if.. is maybe a wrong path all together,
No maybe to it. Doing what if's can be fun for daydreams, but to indulge in them beyond that and it quickly and easily turns into a course of self-destruction.
I'm not too big of a fan of such sayings. One, because few have had it as hard or harder than my mom (among many things, her first husband and father of her first two kids was murdered on Christmas morning '79, and a few things on your list have applied to her in certain ways). She won't see many who have had it worse, and I know of no one who has had it harder. And, me, no, I've not had the struggles and hardships my mom has had, but I certainly do have my own, and it really doesn't do any good to pretend I don't have it hard. I've had to work really hard at just about everything I have (with my intellect being one of the few things I didn't have to work for). And, yes, I do see some who've had it worse, but at the same time it does somewhat irritate me to hear people think they have a dysfunctional family when their family can pretend to get along well enough to get together on the holidays (mine doesn't).
Most people are looking for excuses. But when you have it hard (getting bipolar disorder from SSRI treatment isn't exactly pleasant), finally admitting to yourself that yes you have it hard and have had to put up with tons of **** feels really good. Liberating, even, to just acknowledge you had it crappy enough that physically you just couldn't be like a normal 20 year old because your knees wouldn't let you.
It's a good sentiment, and probably is true for most people. But when your life is chronic pain, it's ok to say that things do kind of suck. No, it's not homelessness or hunger, but waking up stiff and hurting is anything but pleasant.

PureX

Veteran Member

It would help, I think, to stop confusing truth with honesty and humility.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

There is an English saying. It may also be spoken elsewhere in the world

"If only i was 20 (or 30 or 40...) years younger and knew what i know today.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

And based on my experience, 20 years from now you'll look back and say much the same as you did above, as each of us is a "work in progress".