• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I was thirsty, and you gave me water"

Poisonshady313

Driving a car is a risk you have to take. Should people in car accidents just be ignored so they can rescue themselves from their mangled car and give themselves medical treatment?

Have some compassion.

This is a bad comparison... because an accident is an accident.

Crossing the border illegally is... well... illegal.

Here's a better analogy.

Someone firing a weapon at a cop should receive neither mercy nor compassion when the cop shoots back in self defense

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
This is a bad comparison... because an accident is an accident.

Crossing the border illegally is... well... illegal.

Here's a better analogy.

Someone firing a weapon at a cop should receive neither mercy nor compassion when the cop shoots back in self defense

I thought you would say that. Of course, the second part, crossing a border illegally is sort of like shooting a cop? That's some stretch.

How about if someone is speeding and gets into an accident, no one helps them then. If they hit someone who was not speeding, we can help the victims- unless they weren't wearing their seatbelts if they're in a state that has seatbelt laws, of course. It's illegal for small children to not be in a proper restraint/seat, so I'm not sure if we should help them or not- but children crossing the border should face the consequences unless magical children's only water bottles are allowed, so I guess no helping unrestrained children.

Speeding is illegal and if you're going fast enough, a felony. You've never broken the law by going over the speed limit, have you? Even just one mile over is breaking the law...

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I dont think they should go after this guy.The illegals are already there.Trying to address loss of life over something as fundamental as water should not be a crime.

It would be completely different if he was luring them to cross with the promise of fresh bottled water.

I guess what Im trying to say is they are going to be there regardless if he puts the water out or not.Its not their incentive to cross.Knowing that some are dying over as I said something as preventable as dehydration and having the attitude of "well you asked for it" when you could otherwise try and prevent it is barbaric.

And someone else mentioned the children.The children are innocent.They are also the ones at highest risk of death due to dehydration as well as the elderly.

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

Poisonshady313

How about if someone is speeding and gets into an accident, no one helps them then. If they hit someone who was not speeding, we can help the victims- unless they weren't wearing their seatbelts if they're in a state that has seatbelt laws, of course.

People don't speed for the purpose of getting into an accident.

And when a cop pulls you over for speeding, he writes you a ticket. He doesn't give you 20 bucks for gas money so you can keep on speeding.

It's illegal for small children to not be in a proper restraint/seat, so I'm not sure if we should help them or not- but children crossing the border should face the consequences unless magical children's only water bottles are allowed, so I guess no helping unrestrained children.
If children die in an auto collision because their parents didn't restrain them properly, that's their parent's fault. If children die in the desert because their parents insisted on crossing the border illegally, that's their parents fault.

Speeding is illegal and if you're going fast enough, a felony. You've never broken the law by going over the speed limit, have you? Even just one mile over is breaking the law...

I have... and I have been given a ticket... and I paid the ticket.

If you're not prepared to accept the consequences for the risk you take... don't take it.

Poisonshady313

I guess what Im trying to say is they are going to be there regardless if he puts the water out or not.Its not their incentive to cross.Knowing that some are dying over as I said something as preventable as dehydration and having the attitude of "well you asked for it" when you could otherwise try and prevent it is barbaric.

So if the guy who breaks into my house cuts his hand on the window he broke to get in, letting him bleed and get infected is barbaric?

How about not breaking into people's houses?

If they can't get here legally, they shouldn't be here.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
So if the guy who breaks into my house cuts his hand on the window he broke to get in, letting him bleed and get infected is barbaric?
Uh, yes it would be barbaric. :shrug:
Of course they shouldn't have broken into the house, but that's no reason to suspend basic first-aid to someone who's hurt.
And I don't think the analogy between breaking into someone's home to harm the occupants or steal from them is comparable to illegally entering the U.S. to find work so you can sustain your family.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

How about not breaking into people's houses?

If they can't get here legally, they shouldn't be here.

No..standing by letting him bleed to death in front of you when you could call paramedics and the police or throw him a towel to apply pressure to the bleeding wound and saying you get what you deserve would be though.And even more barbaric if he had a young child with him that was bleeding to death.

The punishment for breaking and entering is not death for a reason.

If that were the laws that death was justifiable and ethical punishment for violating any law here in the U.S.A I and almost everyone I know would be dead.

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Of course they shouldn't have broken into the house, but that's no reason to suspend basic first-aid to someone who's hurt.
And I don't think the analogy between breaking into someone's home to harm the occupants or steal from them is comparable to illegally entering the U.S. to find work so you can sustain your family.

We are talking about non violent crime here is the point I think.These people dont "deserve" to die if it can be prevented.

Im not going to be O.K with a the more that die the less will get in succesfully or the more that die the less will come theory either.

There was a man that was smuggling some illegals in a closed truck and many died of heat/dehydration sittign in the back of this truck and the man transporting wasnt just charged with smuggling illegal immigrants..He was charged with negligent homicide.They didnt say "well thye were knowingly breaking the law by coming here illegally so their deaths were just a risk they took".

Love

Dallas

Poisonshady313

A Castle Doctrine (also known as a Castle Law or a Defense of Habitation Law) is an American legal concept arising from English Common Law that designates one's place of residence (or, in some states, any place legally occupied, such as one's car or place of work) as a place in which one enjoys protection from illegal trespassing and violent attack. It then goes on to give a person the legal right to use deadly force to defend that place (his/her "castle"), and/or any other innocent persons legally inside it, from violent attack or an intrusion which may lead to violent attack. In a legal context, therefore, use of deadly force which actually results in death may be defended as justifiable homicide under the Castle Doctrine.

Your home state is one such state that has a Castle Law. Is shooting a guy any less barbaric than letting him bleed for the same reason?

Here's a less barbaric solution for children at the border... let a cop car, stocked with water bottles, drive the child back to his home IN MEXICO.

Poisonshady313

So stealing is fine, just as long as there's a good reason for it? It's ok to rob a bank if the robber needs to feed his family? It's ok to shoplift from a supermarket because you're hungry?

If you are not legally allowed to be here, you are not legally allowed to have a job. Illegally obtaining a job is basically stealing money and resources from this country.

That's not ok.

If they want to be here, let them come here legally.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
A Castle Doctrine (also known as a Castle Law or a Defense of Habitation Law) is an American legal concept arising from English Common Law that designates one's place of residence (or, in some states, any place legally occupied, such as one's car or place of work) as a place in which one enjoys protection from illegal trespassing and violent attack. It then goes on to give a person the legal right to use deadly force to defend that place (his/her "castle"), and/or any other innocent persons legally inside it, from violent attack or an intrusion which may lead to violent attack. In a legal context, therefore, use of deadly force which actually results in death may be defended as justifiable homicide under the Castle Doctrine.

Your home state is one such state that has a Castle Law. Is shooting a guy any less barbaric than letting him bleed for the same reason?

Here's a less barbaric solution for children at the border... let a cop car, stocked with water bottles, drive the child back to his home IN MEXICO.

Shooting an able bodied person that is threatening you physically or that you do not know there intentions on your personal property is not the same sir.

Allowing a debilitated and dying person to die of neglect in the process of trying to illegally cross a border who is unarmed when it can be prevented is inhumane.

Love

Dallas

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
So stealing is fine, just as long as there's a good reason for it? It's ok to rob a bank if the robber needs to feed his family?
Nope. Where was that even insinuated?
It's ok to shoplift from a supermarket because you're hungry?
it's not ok, but the punishment should be based on the severity of the need. A starving family stealing bread from a 7-11 should simply be let go; if they robbed the 7-11 then a harsher punishment is warranted imo.

But how is robbing a bank or stealing even remotely comparable to crossing the border illegally?

If you are not legally allowed to be here, you are not legally allowed to have a job. Illegally obtaining a job is basically stealing money and resources from this country.
Not at all. How is it stealing money or resources if they're paid for their labor and contributions, and they pay taxes on basic day to day items?

Poisonshady313

Allowing a debilitated and dying person to die of neglect in the process of trying to illegally cross a border who is unarmed when it can be prevented is inhumane.

Love

Dallas

The number one way to prevent a person from dying of dehydration because they're trying to cross the border illegally.........

Is not trying to cross the border illegally.

The only people on our side of the border who should be hanging out at the border are border patrol officials whose job it is to prevent people from illegally crossing the border.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
So stealing is fine, just as long as there's a good reason for it? It's ok to rob a bank if the robber needs to feed his family? It's ok to shoplift from a supermarket because you're hungry?

That's not ok.

NOBODY said STEALING is FINE.

Someone attempting to "steal" who is injured and dying in the process should be rendered aid and dealt with in other ways NOT allowed to die as equal and just punishment on the spot.

Possesion of some narcotics is a FELONY.Based on your theory a drug addict who posseses and injest a line of cocaine in front of you and goes into some sort of life threatening response should be left to die.

I personally would give them a glass of water if it would save them.

And I would pray to God they would do the same for me.

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
The number one way to prevent a person from dying of dehydration because they're trying to cross the border illegally.........

The only people on our side of the border who should be hanging out at the border are border patrol officials whose job it is to prevent people from illegally crossing the border.

NO ONE is suggesting our government provide them with water.But I will gurantee you when they do catch them if they are dying and in need of aid they render that before sending them back.Depening on whre they are found some of them have to be held and they feed them .

They dont stand back and let them die..and they certainly dont shoot them and call it "justifiable homicide" or our borders would be littered with thousands of rotting bodies to dispose of.

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

YES the #1 way is..

But some people will risk their lives ANYWAY..If they end up on the short end of that gamble I do NOT think its ethical to stand back and let them die and say so sorry you lost!

I imagine IM one of them ..and Im dying of thirst or my baby is or my mother ..or my friend..I would think you to be an EVIL person despite the fact I had no business beign there and took the risk that you would allow me to die or my baby or my mother or my friend if you could hand me a glass of water to prevent it.

If I KNEW that illegalls were in (my back yard) and they were dying over something as BASIC as water I would give them water.

And by the way..I know many illegals.They arent on the border anymore sir.But they are here.If one of them is dying of thirst I am not going to say to bad you die you shouldnt be here.Ironically? If they found me dying of thirst they would give me a drink of their water too.

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

That's not ok.

Lets just say you meet a guy..or woman..and you become friends..you start to hang out with them get to know them a little bit..

You invite them to dinner..You make some hamburgers on the grill and have potato salad and some beer..

They confide they are not here by legal process.

Are you telling me you would snatch the food out their hands ..grab the beer and call the police?

Because if you say thats what you would do then fine.Your a real crime fighter.If you wouldnt then you are a hypocrite.

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
People don't speed for the purpose of getting into an accident.

And when a cop pulls you over for speeding, he writes you a ticket. He doesn't give you 20 bucks for gas money so you can keep on speeding.

If children die in an auto collision because their parents didn't restrain them properly, that's their parent's fault. If children die in the desert because their parents insisted on crossing the border illegally, that's their parents fault.

I have... and I have been given a ticket... and I paid the ticket.

If you're not prepared to accept the consequences for the risk you take... don't take it.

You missed the point on the speeding analogy..

You said people dont "speed for the purpose of getting in an accident".

Neither do illegals cross the border for the purpose of dying of dehydration.

People speed because they are willing to break the law to get somewhere quicker(even though its really a stupid method unless you are on open highway).knowing that they are risking getting in an accident or getting in trouble with the law.

Now BECAUSE they took the risk of injury and crashed into a tree driving to fast and they are in a burning car we (according to your method) should stand by and let them burn to death because HEY..the #1 way to prevent dying in a burning car from speeding is to obey the law and not speed at all.

WHY should anyone squirt some water in the fire and pull them out?Shouldnt they get what they deserve?Why should MY taxes have to be raised and pay for a fire dept to look after a criminal like that?

And WHY shouldnt an average citizen be charged with aiding and abiding in criminal activity if he chooses to help the criminal burning to death in the car?

Love

Dallas

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Disgusting...

Buena suerte, Mr. Staton.

Driving a car is a risk you have to take. Should people in car accidents just be ignored so they can rescue themselves from their mangled car and give themselves medical treatment?

Have some compassion.
Sadly that is what a lot of people in this country are severely lacking. Instead we have this "Screw you, I got mine" mentality that seems to be more popular than ever.