• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I want to share this....

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
For those who haven't been reading my journal...

I wanted to share this with my fellow UUs. This was an important step for me, speaking in front of the congregation. It was very difficult, but I did it. I wrote and read the following this morning at church:

There is a quote that Universalist Lewis Beals Fisher once said that I've been thinking a lot about this week. He said, "Universalists are often asked to tell where they stand. The only true answer to give to this question is that we do not stand at all, we move." What I think he was referring to is the fact that the then Universalists (and now UUs) are open to new understandings and constant re-evaluation of theology and beliefs. Since we don't have the context in which he made his statement, I believe that leaves it open to some interpretation. "We don't stand, we move." To me the statement can mean, "We don't just take a stand on an issue, we act upon it." We act on our convictions and beliefs.
While it may not have been the intent of Fisher's statement, it is a central part of Unitarian Universalism today that we not only take a position on social issues but that we take action on those issues as well. I believe it is wrong to discriminate against anyone on the basis of their race, color, gender, disability, sexual orientation, age, or ethnicity. I believe that all peoples deserve the same basic civil rights, and I strongly believe it is wrong to enshrine discrimination against an entire group of people into our state's constitution.

It is with these beliefs and the need to act on them that I attended Equality Virginia's Lobby Day this past week along with almost 500 gay, lesbian, straight, bisexual and transgender people who believe as I do. I was one of dozens of UUs from around the state. We were there to tell our representatives what we thought of the attempts to discriminate against and marginalize Virginia's BGLT families and citizens.

I am not always comfortable talking to people, especially when the conversation can be confrontational, so as the day approached I was very nervous. I even considered not participating, but something stayed with me from Rev. MacPherson's sermon last Sunday. I cannot recall his exact words, but I left here last Sunday with a sense of urgency to act on my beliefs as a Unitarian Universalist. I knew I had to put aside my fears and put action behind my beliefs because it was the right thing to do, and I'm glad I did.

I wasn't the most vocal in my lobbying groups and while I hope my individual words may have swayed somebody's opinion, I firmly believe that my presence there, and each and every person's presence there was vitally important. I know that some people now see the issues in a different light than they did before we talked to them about our concerns. I witnessed the change in one person’s attitude from reluctance to talk to us to empathy and compassion as a couple from our congregation explained them how the proposed changes to current law would impact their family. It was a step in the right direction.

Most importantly I believe we made it known to everyone we talked to that day that we are not backing off from the issue of equality and fairness for all Virginians. We are not going to stand still; we are going to move forward.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize, you couldn't have done better; congratulations, I know how difficult it is to stand up and talk to a crowd.:clap

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
michel said:
Maize, you couldn't have done better; congratulations, I know how difficult it is to stand up and talk to a crowd.:clap
It is very difficult for me.... I think my knees are still shaking, lol. My poor worry stone got rubbed A LOT today.

Nozem

Indeed, well done. It is easy to hide from what one finds uncomfortable or plain scary, and quite liberating when you realise that you've tackled a fear -such as speaking to a large group- and done well.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I just saw this Maize. It's beautiful. Very well done indeed!

addendum:
Hey Maize, for some time now I've wanted to collect statements of faith from UUs to put on my website. Would you be willing to let me put this up?