• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Want To Convert To Your Religion...

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There are a few things which I do not know in spite of my enlightenment. For example, enlightenment will not make me proficient in maths. Enlightenment is majorly understanding the whole and not each bit in all things. For example, another thing that I do not know is relationship between existence and non-existence. I am waiting for science to speak on it (but I know I would not hear from them in my life-time). Only the future generations will know.

Kindly add a smiley to my post where I said that you want to start a side-business. That too was said in fun.

Vee

Premium Member
Well, I don't really, but I thought it would get your attention.

But how about somebody else? If someone tells you(for sake of conversation, we'll say someone you know at least a little bit)they want to convert to your religion(or abandon the one they have in favor of your disbelief), how would you take such a comment?

Its easy if you can tell the person is sincere, and has been heading that way for years, but what if you're doubtful? Does this person often 'religion shop'? Would you be offended for that person to adopt your religion if it may be temporary or self serving?

What if you feel its insincere? I knew someone that was a Catholic when he felt good in life, and an atheist when he felt things were going wrong. Would it be troublesome for you to watch the person flip-flop back and forth depending on mood?

Perhaps the person is unaware of what it really means to be (insert your religion here). Do you educate them, or encourage them to do more research?

Or do you jump up and down in joy and open them with open arms, and toss any concerns to the wind?

If the person merely is considering it, do you tell them just the more positive aspects in hopes they'll convert, or do you make sure they understand any difficult aspects of your religious beliefs?

If you do things in the right order it' not complicated. Instead of saying "I want to convert to your religion", I suggest you learn about the religion first. What does it teach, what is expected from you, what do you have to gain if you join that group, etc. Once you have the answers to those questions you probably know enough to make an educated decision that works for you, instead of doing something on a whim that might end being a waste of your time and energy. Rushing is never a good idea when it comes to important decisions. I find it's wise to spend some extra time gathering enough information to make the right decision.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
My advice varies, to be honest, but if I was going to draw an 'average' response for you, it would be that I'd recommend for people NOT to jump from a religion to atheism. I'd recommend for them to go through at least a period of 'unaffiliated' or 'unlabeled' or 'pure agnostic' or something.

My advice would vary as well. I like to get a handle on the audience.

Tiberius

Well, I don't really, but I thought it would get your attention.

But how about somebody else? If someone tells you(for sake of conversation, we'll say someone you know at least a little bit)they want to convert to your religion(or abandon the one they have in favor of your disbelief), how would you take such a comment?

Its easy if you can tell the person is sincere, and has been heading that way for years, but what if you're doubtful? Does this person often 'religion shop'? Would you be offended for that person to adopt your religion if it may be temporary or self serving?

What if you feel its insincere? I knew someone that was a Catholic when he felt good in life, and an atheist when he felt things were going wrong. Would it be troublesome for you to watch the person flip-flop back and forth depending on mood?

Perhaps the person is unaware of what it really means to be (insert your religion here). Do you educate them, or encourage them to do more research?

Or do you jump up and down in joy and open them with open arms, and toss any concerns to the wind?

If the person merely is considering it, do you tell them just the more positive aspects in hopes they'll convert, or do you make sure they understand any difficult aspects of your religious beliefs?

I would tell them that I have no religion. Rather, my worldview is based on an understanding of the scientific method, with use of logic and reason, and one does not have to give up their faith in order to use those.