• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Thought The US Was Bad - Those Wacky Canadians

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
" The Federal Court of Canada on Wednesday ordered Air Canada to pay $12,000 to Ottawa French-language rights crusader Michel
Thibodeau in part because when he asked an English-speaking flight attendant for 7Up in May 12 of 2009, he got Sprite."

Air Canada ordered to pay $12K to man who couldn’t order 7Up in French | Posted | National Post

Oh, the horror!
$12,000 is poor succor indeed when a man is forced to settle for Sprite when he wanted 7Up.
(I wonder if those are Canadian dollars or real dollars?)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Seriously, surely Air Canada has enough bilingual steward employees that they could supply at least one per flight, if at very least to conform with the law.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
If you read the story and about Air Canada's position on French language issues, the judges ruling is correct. Clearly, AIr Canada is hedging its bets by not employing bilingual attendants on flights in and around the capital region, as per the law.

Seriously, surely Air Canada has enough bilingual steward employees that they could supply at least one per flight, if at very least to conform with the law.
My guess is that some nitwit in their Executive offices thought the law referred to Bisexual people and assumed they would be fine. :)

atanu

Premium Member
" The Federal Court of Canada on Wednesday ordered Air Canada to pay $12,000 to Ottawa French-language rights crusader Michel
Thibodeau in part because when he asked an English-speaking flight attendant for 7Up in May 12 of 2009, he got Sprite."

Air Canada ordered to pay $12K to man who couldn’t order 7Up in French | Posted | National Post

Oh, the horror!
$12,000 is poor succor indeed when a man is forced to settle for Sprite when he wanted 7Up.

I will try to do it as soon as possible and before the law changes. Does the Rights law apply to an Indian in Canada?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't get it. The airline probably didn't stock two so similar soda's, and the stewardess obviously understood M. Thibodeau's request, as she brought him the closest equivalent.
Where's the problem?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't get it. The airline probably didn't stock two so similar soda's, and the stewardess obviously understood M. Thibodeau's request, as she brought him the closest equivalent.
Where's the problem?
I think that's the National Post playing around with the facts a bit and playing up a sensationalist spin on the story. Later on, they spell out in a less biased way what the substance of the case was. The item I've highlighted refers to the flight in question:

Still, the airline, according the reasons for the judgment, admitted four breaches in the new Mr. Thibodeau case:
• No services in French on board flight AC8627 flying the Toronto-Atlanta route on January 23, 2009: Air Canada acknowledges there was no bilingual flight attendant on this flight, although it was a flight on which there was significant demand for services in French.
• No translation of an announcement made in English by the pilot concerning the arrival time and weather on flight AC8622 flying the Atlanta-Toronto route on Feb. 1, 2009: Air Canada acknowledges that the announcement should have been translated by the flight attendant (who was bilingual) because it was a flight on which there was significant demand for services in French.
• No services in French on board flight AC7923 flying the Charlotte-Toronto route on May 12, 2009. Air Canada acknowledges that there was no bilingual flight attendant on this flight and that it was a flight on which there was significant demand for services in French.
• Announcement made in English only to passengers concerning baggage collection at the Toronto airport on May 12, 2009: Air Canada admits that this announcement should have been made in English and French because the Toronto airport is an airport where there is significant demand for services in French.

The court ruled Air Canada breached its duty to provide French services four times and awarded the each of the Mr. Thibodeaus $6,000 in damages, or $1,500 for each breach, (plus $6,982.19 in costs.) The couple had sought $5,000 for each infraction, for a total of $25,000.

So... in reality, they were awarded only about $1,500 plus $1,745 in costs for the entire flight where the 7-Up incident occurred, and there were larger problems on the flight than just getting a Sprite when he asked for a 7-Up.

I dunno - it could be that he used the difficulty in ordering a beverage as an example of how he was denied French-language services, but the real reason for the judgement is that Air Canada didn't have a bilingual flight attendant on the flight, as they were apparently required to have.

waitasec

Veteran Member

Oh, the horror!

one thing is for sure, americans would sue for a lot more...:yes:
it's the land of opportunity