• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I think it's high time to stop putting earmarks in bills waiting to be passed.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The bipartisanship was actually refreshing to see. Now both sides are back to doing their stupid ****** upped old tricks again.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The bipartisanship was actually refreshing to see. Now both sides are back to doing their stupid ****** upped old tricks again.

Yep. I think both sides are going to end up looking bad from this. But aside from the coverage over a few popular news sources, Democrats may have some damage control to do before the election.

MNoBody

since the bankruptcy any debates or bills have only to do with how they get something out of it, citizens are merely chattel in that scenario

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Starting with Mitch who drew up a Senate bill with just his party in the deal. Then he and others tried to railroad Democrats into giving them what they demanded which was a bad bill. The inevitable fight erupted after that.

Now if everyone (both parties, House, Senate, White House) had gotten together and negotiated something everyone could live with, I'd want to tar and feather anyone from either party that brought out a monkey wrench. But sadly that did not happen.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Yep. I think both sides are going to end up looking bad from this. But aside from the coverage over a few popular news sources, Democrats may have some damage control to do before the election.
Sadly the right will ignore their bullying tactics and do no damage control. Bullies always think they can get away with anything.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Starting with Mitch who drew up a Senate bill with just his party in the deal. Then he and others tried to railroad Democrats into giving them what they demanded which was a bad bill. The inevitable fight erupted after that.

Now if everyone (both parties, House, Senate, White House) had gotten together and negotiated something everyone could live with, I'd want to tar and feather anyone from either party that brought out a monkey wrench. But sadly that did not happen.
Well it isn't the first time Republicans tried to permanently ban earmarks which I think would have been a great thing if the left had joined in on it and just allow bills to be there for the purpose of what they were written up for with no strings attached.

Senate GOP votes to permanently ban earmarks

I make one solemn vow. whomever supports the elimination of earmarks on a permanent basis I will vote for. Left or right. Or in between.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Well it isn't the first time Republicans tried to permanently ban earmarks which I think would have been a great thing if the left had joined in on it and just allow bills to be there for the purpose of what they were written up for with no strings attached.

I make one solemn vow. whoever supports the elimination of your marks on a permanent basis I will vote for. Left or right. Or in between.
I agree on earmarks.

Shad

Veteran Member

The Bill was a bi-partisan creation.... Now go look at the House Bill, which is 1000+ words, released which has items that have nothing to do with the virus. Dems do not want to give Trump any credit nor a win. Now the Dems Bill is going to be blocked in the Senate and Dems will whine banking on low information voters to side with "orange man bad" and not read anything media does not spoon feed them.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I make one solemn vow. whomever supports the elimination of earmarks on a permanent basis I will vote for. Left or right. Or in between.

I found this part of the article interesting:

The decision for Senate Republicans to amend their caucus rules to include a permanent earmarks ban comes after House Republicans flirted with lifting the earmarks ban late last year, before ultimately backing down.

President Trump at the time encouraged the return to earmarks.

“I hear so much about earmarks," he said, "... and how there was a great friendliness when you had earmarks.”

So, Trump is a fan of earmarks.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Etritonakin

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This is the result....

Tensions flare on Senate floor as coronavirus bill derailed for second time by Dem objections

Just pass the bill on its own merits for Christ's sake. Don't add a 'wish list' to it.

Whether it be for corporations or the environment. Keep it out.

Agree disagree?
In most rules of order (e.g. Robert's), motions can be easily divided into parts so that the assembly votes on each part separately. Seems like the US Congress could use some of that.