• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I saw something i can not explain

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I've had similar experiences. Our perception of the environment can process in our subconscious and can direct our response to dangerous situations when we are distracted. Plus we often want to have emotionally satisfying explanations for personal experiences.

Some might even call this intuition, which is a debatable topic. I tend to have very good intuition but lousy at listening to it.

Yes. True. When you're indoctrinated in that way of seeing the world, to take it a step further, it becomes your reality. That's one of the few reasons I don't challenge to many people on it (depending on their character). When you're emotionally threatened (whether perceived or actual threat-brain doesn't differentiate) defensiveness comes up. I don't know if some notice the defensiveness part though-but it's natural.

It would be interesting to study if someone wasn't introduced to supernatural explanations and had the same experiences, what would he or she (or would he or she) attribute those experiences to?

There is a thread about human's innate ability to attach a god-agency to events. Instead of god, maybe we just have an innate ability to want a cause or purpose.

Just spitballing (who on earth came up with that phrase).

The thing is once we humans have a preference for an explanation, like spirits, and that feels good, we are going find out we are correct. It's called confirmation bias. We will look at what confirms what we believe and ignore the exceptions.

I say skeptics are more open minded because they will be open to the possibility their emotional impulse is incorrect and set it aside for a more accurate explanation, even if less satisfying. Truth shouldn't be a reward.

Exactly. Once you step away from confirmation bias, everything falls apart. The thing is, though, who holds the keys to reality? What if the supernatural world does exist just depends on the person how or if he or she experiences it?

I see it more-

Non-skeptics are open to accepting and trusting what they can't explain and how they incorporate that "I don't know" into their lives regardless their reasoning and cultural interpretations of it.

Skeptics, like you say, are more open to scrutinize biases and how to say contradictions in experiences and emotions.

The thing is, why would skeptics need to do this, though?

What point are they making to prove, say, it wasn't a spirit holding someone down but just sleep paralysis or hallucinations etc?

HonestJoe

... similar to a knights templar :confused: in full armor
You'd need to be more specific about what you saw (and if you can't, that leans towards imagination and makes false memory a growing problem). I'd be specifically interested whether what you saw was like a modern stereotypical image of a Knight Templar or how they'd actually look during any particular part of their long history.

How could it be just my imagination?
You've given no reason for it not to be and it seems perfectly viable. What else could it realistically have been?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
At work today at the cemetary i saw something that i can not explain.
During my work i was focused on the task, and when i looked up i dag what i can 8nly explain as similar to a knights templar :confused: in full armor, i do not directly believe what i saw is possible. But i know what i saw was a "real" sight but i can not explain it.
I did not think of ghosts or templars or Even about dead people.

If it was a real sight of sort, what the heck did i see :eek:

I honestly dont not have a clue
My first thought, aside from Catholics, Masons.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Bahaollah too saw a 'heavenly maiden'.
Visions are part of all religions. Mohammad rode on Burraq to heaven, Mary was informed by angels about birth of Jesus. In Hinduism we have a mega-vision.

Krishna's elder brother, Balarama, was very proud of his strength. His weapon is supposed to be a plow. Once the brothers went for a bath in Yamuna and Balarama took a dip. As soon as he went under water, he had a vision that he was born as a princess. With time the princess matured, was married, and had children. The visionary Balarama spent long years with his family. But then, his vision was interrupted as he rose out of water. Spent all those years in a few seconds. This story is told to indicated the illusion of the world. As Balarama had his illusion, in a similar way we too are living in our illusions. Krishna produced this illusion to Balarama to rid him of his pride.

Balarama

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
During my work i was focused on the task, and when i looked up i dag what i can 8nly explain as similar to a knights templar :confused: in full armor, i do not directly believe what i saw is possible. But i know what i saw was a "real" sight but i can not explain it.

Cool. Just be careful. Medieval crusading ghosts may like to continue the holy war against you. :p
Or it may be some idiot dressed up that way and doing live action re-enactment?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I've never had an experience of that kind of sight but I've had related experiences.

And in my belief there are disembodied people, ghosts, who typically die violent deaths and are attached to the physical realm and can't move on.

There's no way of proving anything so I just accept such experiences and move on.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
And in my belief there are disembodied people, ghosts, who typically die violent deaths and are attached to the physical realm and can't move on.

Yep. And another theory is often that some may be hanging around because they want someone to send them to the great beyond.

My question is, say you have that spiritual ability and send them. How do you know you're sending them to a better place and not a worse one? :)

So why I don't get involved is because I look at my current "spiritual level" if you will and I think, I'm nowhere near there.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

My first thought would be a residual haunting. (More common than I used to think now that we have the internet to share).

Where did this occur? (as I am wondering if the area had such history)

Edit: I just re-read that this was at a cemetery. I am now thinking more regular active ghost than a residual (inactive recording) ghost. Then I saw your post that said 'stone' church. Stone is associated with residual hauntings.

I spend too much time on forums and other places on the internet (lol, like now) and anyway because of the meteoric rise of internet sharing and cable TV, I now believe the paranormal to be 'rare' but also 'not all that rare' either.

Last edited:

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
So have we already established that it was a Knights Templar, rather than a Knight Hospitaller, a Knight of St. James, a Knight of the Order of Calatrava, a Teutonic Knight, or a Livonian Brother of the Sword? This could be important.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
What's the difference?
Ahh, Heyo. I take it we disagree about the reality of ghosts too,

To me the cumulative weight of all the evidence including physical events and multiple witnesses is overwhelming.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
As human beings, we are hardwired to seek patterns and will see patterns where there are none there. We are overconfident, as human beings, in our perceptions.