• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I literally recoiled."

HonestJoe

Why the revulsion? People who voted Leave are human beings just like everybody else.
Why didn’t you ask her? You’ve only one example of someone responding in this way yet you wait to ask a bunch of strangers with no better insight in to her thinking than you will have? I mean, what can we say; some people are a bit stupid.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Why didn’t you ask her? You’ve only one example of someone responding in this way yet you wait to ask a bunch of strangers with no better insight in to her thinking than you will have? I mean, what can we say; some people are a bit stupid.
She was repulsed because I voted Leave. I understand that much. I just can't understand why. I have plenty of Remainer friends.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
So I was at a Labour rally yesterday and ended up sitting next to and speaking to a woman at least 20 years older than me. When I mentioned that I'd voted Leave, she said she 'literally recoiled' from me and felt a kind of horror. Whilst I wasn't offended, it made me wonder: why? If a person tells me he voted Remain, I wouldn't bat an eyelid. But physically recoiling in horror? That's a new one.

Why the revulsion? People who voted Leave are human beings just like everybody else.

Well...it's kinda strange...because it has never happened to me either. I mean, I have never criticized any person for their political views, also because they're very personal, and there must be a reason why they chose that particular position.
Despite political differences, all citizens should feel united and work together to improve their society. Politics and elections are just instruments to achieve that goal...but I remain astonished when people feel antipathy towards a person just because they have different political ideas than them.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
When someone says they want to cut food stamps, welfare, and disability to the poor so they can fund massive tax breaks to millionaires, that says a lot about a person, and yes it never fails to **** me off!!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So I was at a Labour rally yesterday and ended up sitting next to and speaking to a woman at least 20 years older than me. When I mentioned that I'd voted Leave, she said she 'literally recoiled' from me and felt a kind of horror. Whilst I wasn't offended, it made me wonder: why? If a person tells me he voted Remain, I wouldn't bat an eyelid. But physically recoiling in horror? That's a new one.

It's clear.
You're wrong....very very wrong, not just in your vote, but as a person.

But for real fun, tell your staunchly Democratic friends you voted for Trump.
It goes like.....

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
When someone says they want to cut food stamps, welfare, and disability to the poor so they can fund massive tax breaks to millionaires, that says a lot about a person, and yes it never fails to **** me off!!
Lyndon. We agree on something.

Just take some time to think about that. It's never happened before.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I'd suspect the media has done a pretty good job of demonizing the opposing view. If you have the wrong opinion about things then it's obvious that you have mental issues sort of thing.

Especially for folks who rely on a single source of news they have for whatever reason decided is trustworthy. I'd imagine older folks more often than not would fall into this category.

HonestJoe

She was repulsed because I voted Leave. I understand that much. I just can't understand why. I have plenty of Remainer friends.
Well again, why didn’t you ask her why she responded in that way? Maybe she had a perfectly understandable reason that hasn’t occurred to us, maybe there was a misunderstanding between the two of you, maybe she is just weird in general and has irrational responses to lots of things. Regardless, my point stands that if you couldn’t get a reason from the person involved at the time, a bunch of strangers with no information to go on aren’t going to be able to help.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Well again, why didn’t you ask her why she responded in that way? Maybe she had a perfectly understandable reason that hasn’t occurred to us, maybe there was a misunderstanding between the two of you, maybe she is just weird in general and has irrational responses to lots of things. Regardless, my point stands that if you couldn’t get a reason from the person involved at the time, a bunch of strangers with no information to go on aren’t going to be able to help.
Asking other people who voted Remain might help, don't you think?

It never occurred to me to ask her. I was too taken aback that she seemed that offended that it gave her a physical reaction. She was also a feminist of the type who whined about the "patriarchy" so I'm inclined to believe she just dislikes conservatives in general.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Maybe it is just a case that some people have got used to having things their own way and when that changes, they find it difficult to accept.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I guess some people don't have a lot of love for a global brotherhood.

I think the question is what's the best way to go about that. Whether to support individual enterprise so the individual can work hard, excel, and bring up the quality of life for everyone around them. Or, support equality even to the point it may become detrimental to individual achievement.

In one view it is up to the individual to fight for their own equality. To struggle, overcome, achieve. This make the individual better, self-sufficient, less reliant on support from the rest of the group. They can contribute more take less better support the group.

The other view is that everyone deserves an equal quality of life. That those who can do more should give more to ensure the quality of life of their fellowman even if that means they need to share resources that may stifle or restrict what they could otherwise, individually achieve.

Individual competition encourages achievement, advancement. The problem being those unwilling or unable to compete on an equal basses may not be able to achieve the same quality of life.

Enforced equality, supports the group at large. More people having a better quality of life. The problem here being there is less competition, less necessity for individual achievement, less advancement.

You're always going to have people who take advantage of either system. You're going to have freeloaders and you're going to have slum lords. Otherwise neither view is inherently bad.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Asking other people who voted Remain might help, don't you think?

It never occurred to me to ask her. I was too taken aback that she seemed that offended that it gave her a physical reaction. She was also a feminist of the type who whined about the "patriarchy" so I'm inclined to believe she just dislikes conservatives in general.
I feel for you. I often feel a need for a shower after being around such unhinged louts.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Not exactly the loving and tolerant attitude these people preach, is it. Also, I'm not sure where emotions come into it, really, at least for me. Voting based on logic is more...logical?

Love and tolerance is only reserved for people who, in the enlightened view of liberalism, can't take care of or fend for themselves. You know - all those inferior brown people who need help from their benevolent, wonderful, white caretakers.

The lengths that people will go to to prove they aren't racist, while at the same time, revealing their fundamental, unselfconscious racism, is both humorous and astounding.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The kind of brotherhood that tells us how may watts our hair-dryers can use?
That was pretty much decided for us when we decided to live in an inflated Capitalist system that fails to see the finite amount of resources of the world and is blind to the inevitable cliff it will drive over if continually left unchecked. Better to not have the government worry over such trivial things, but that is even better than very harsh and strict guidelines because we have to start rationing essentials because we've depleted so many of our natural resources. Future generations are going to hate us, and for good reason. We only cared about us and specifically me, and not about them, those yet to be born. Those of us living today are taking too much and not leaving enough for future generations.
Leave that to charities and Catholics.
That tends to be a Republican/Conservative mode of thinking in America, and it just isn't working like that. Such groups, institutions, and organizations aren't getting enough donations to meet demand, many close due to lack of funding, and many can only provide very cheap foods that shouldn't even be considered food.
You are human, true, but you're beginning to notice that there are many who are not.
Every single human who has ever been, is, or will be is nothing more than a plane jane/joe human. Politicians, commoners, kings, paupers, corporate executives, laborers, Left Wing, Right Wing, they are all basic regular human beings.

Seeing humans as anything other than humans really does have a very bad way of ending poorly for those that are labelled as "other than" human.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That was pretty much decided for us when we decided to live in an inflated Capitalist system that fails to see the finite amount of resources of the world and is blind to the inevitable cliff it will drive over if continually left unchecked. Better to not have the government worry over such trivial things, but that is even better than very harsh and strict guidelines because we have to start rationing essentials because we've depleted so many of our natural resources. Future generations are going to hate us, and for good reason. We only cared about us and specifically me, and not about them, those yet to be born. Those of us living today are taking too much and not leaving enough for future generations.
I reluctantly jump into support you, despite the anti-capitalist flavor, because I
find people's obsession with an ever expanding economy to be ill considered.
Continual expansion is an impossible model, so whatever problems expansion
is supposed to solve, they should be addressed in a more sustainable way.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Make no mistake, I agree. What I'm trying to illustrate is the trivial nature of the demands from Bruxelles, the EU, that are being given. I think each country should have the right to decide for itself instead of being given orders from people they never elected.
That tends to be a Republican/Conservative mode of thinking in America, and it just isn't working like that. Such groups, institutions, and organizations aren't getting enough donations to meet demand, many close due to lack of funding, and many can only provide very cheap foods that shouldn't even be considered food.
We have been giving money to third world countries since the 60s. They are still poor. Throwing money at them isn't working. What they need is functional governments without the corruption they currently have, such as in many African states. And this isn't for Western powers to poke their noses into.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I think the question is what's the best way to go about that. Whether to support individual enterprise so the individual can work hard, excel, and bring up the quality of life for everyone around them. Or, support equality even to the point it may become detrimental to individual achievement.

In one view it is up to the individual to fight for their own equality. To struggle, overcome, achieve. This make the individual better, self-sufficient, less reliant on support from the rest of the group. They can contribute more take less better support the group.

The other view is that everyone deserves an equal quality of life. That those who can do more should give more to ensure the quality of life of their fellowman even if that means they need to share resources that may stifle or restrict what they could otherwise, individually achieve.

Individual competition encourages achievement, advancement. The problem being those unwilling or unable to compete on an equal basses may not be able to achieve the same quality of life.

Enforced equality, supports the group at large. More people having a better quality of life. The problem here being there is less competition, less necessity for individual achievement, less advancement.

You're always going to have people who take advantage of either system. You're going to have freeloaders and you're going to have slum lords. Otherwise neither view is inherently bad.

Actually if the rich are taxed more, to allow less suffering for the poorest, it actually encourages the rich to work harder as they will have to work harder to make more money, if you tax them less, they're likely to sit on their *** and not try as hard to make more money.