• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I heard the Baha'i faith is the second biggest faith worldwide.Is that true?

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
No, that is not true if you are referring to numbers of believers. Islam is the second biggest faith.

However, if you are talking about how 'widespread' the faith is, the Baha'i Faith is the second most widespread religion in the world. The Baha’i Faith has spread to over 250 countries and territories and is almost as widespread as Christianity. Most of this happened during the “formative age” of the Baha’i Faith (1921-1944) FOURTH PERIOD: THE INCEPTION OF THE FORMATIVE AGE OF THE BAHÁ’Í FAITH 1921–1944
What I said was redundant about that then.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Look at the two most widespread religions. Then look at the two religions followed by history's two biggest expansionist empires.
Coincidence? I think not.

Hmm. It is interesting that despite your claim that Bahaism is the second most widely practiced religion, not one source dealing with the issue even mentions Bahaism, let alone cites your claimed position.

It will never gain anywhere near those numbers because it doesn't have colonising missionaries benefitting from large empires. Notice how Hinduism, despite being a major religion for Millennia, hasn't expanded much beyond the Subcontinent. No expansionist empire, see?
An interesting fact:

Hinduism - Wikipedia

The use of the English term "Hinduism" to describe a collection of practices and beliefs is a fairly recent construction: it was first used by Raja Ram Mohan Roy in 1816–17.[45] The term "Hinduism" was coined in around 1830 by those Indians who opposed British colonialism, and who wanted to distinguish themselves from other religious groups.[45][46][47] Before the British began to categorise communities strictly by religion, Indians generally did not define themselves exclusively through their religious beliefs; instead identities were largely segmented on the basis of locality, language, varṇa, jāti, occupation, and sect.[48][note 11] In the 18th century, the European merchants and colonists began to refer to the followers of Indian religions collectively as Hindus.

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
An other thread being used to discredit those who follow Baha'i teaching.
Wrong. Another thread where the questionable claims of Bahais are challenged. Same happens with the dubious claims of all religionists. Bahais are nothing special.
If you don't want your claims to be examined in the light of evidence and reason, don't post them on a public forum. Simples.

Baha'i may not be the biggest or most spread religious path to follow,
So you are admitting that the claim is wrong? Why do you think some Bahais feel the need to lie in order to promote their faith? Is it for others or themselves?

but it holds value to those who walk it's path.
No one has ever questioned that followers of ideologies get something from it (although in this case, perhaps not honesty or critical thinking?)

The only thing we can do is to forgive those who use words to harm, and to be strong in the faith.
It's quite something when you consider having dubious claims challenged to be "harm". TBH it's kinda disrespectful to those who are genuinely persecuted for their beliefs.

Last edited:

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
How many followers the Baha'i Faith has is completely irrelevant, as how many people believe in a religion is no indicator of whether it is a true religion of God or not.
This is true. In and of itself how many people believe or disbelieve in something has no relation to that thing's veracity. However, if the Baha'i Faith claims to be the faith revealed to supersede both Islam and Christianity then the religion's growth becomes a relevant question. If the Baha'i Faith really has divine backing then it is relevant to ask why it has so far failed. There is a reason the Baha'is has been known to exaggerate their numbers, because considering the religion's claims and aspirations its growth is an important question regarding its veracity.

Last edited:

KWED

It is difficult to get through because one has to be willing to give up all their preconceived ideas, have an open mind, and think for themselves.
The painful irony here is that you have previously admitted that you are obliged to simply accept whatever Bahaullah said without any doubt, even if it is nonsensical.
You are literally told what to think.

and that is why the NEW religion is always rejected by most people for a very long time after it has been revealed.
Not so. Islam was the dominant religion in the Arabian peninsula within a few of decades of its beginning.

KWED

An interesting fact:

Hinduism - Wikipedia

The use of the English term "Hinduism" to describe a collection of practices and beliefs is a fairly recent construction: it was first used by Raja Ram Mohan Roy in 1816–17.[45] The term "Hinduism" was coined in around 1830 by those Indians who opposed British colonialism, and who wanted to distinguish themselves from other religious groups.[45][46][47] Before the British began to categorise communities strictly by religion, Indians generally did not define themselves exclusively through their religious beliefs; instead identities were largely segmented on the basis of locality, language, varṇa, jāti, occupation, and sect.[48][note 11] In the 18th century, the European merchants and colonists began to refer to the followers of Indian religions collectively as Hindus.
Indeed, but the point remains that the subcontinental beliefs (that are now referred to as Hinduism) did not spread, despite the large numbers of followers. That was essentially because there was no expansionist empire driving it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Wrong. Another thread where the questionable claims of Bahais are challenged. Same happens with the dubious claims of all religionists. Bahais are nothing special.
If you don't want your claims to be examined in the light of evidence and reason, don't post them on a public forum. Simples.

So you are admitting that the claim is wrong? Why do you think some Bahais feel the need to lie in order to promote their faith? Is it forothers or themselves?

No one has ever questioned that followers of ideologies get something from it (although in this case, perhaps not honesty or critical thinking?)

It's quite something when you consider having dubious claims challenged to be "harm". TBH it's kinda disrespectful to those who are genuinely persecuted for their beliefs.
My stand is that for those who do not believe in a religion, be it Baha'i or no, are free to ask questions, but no need to push and push to faults the believer of said religion. If you do not believe, that is no problem, but are you looking for discredit a belief you don't believe in, that is wast of my time.
I do not claim anything, the only thing said is that Baha'i faith is not one of the belief with many followers.

You can ask about my belief but if your question are meant to harm any religion, my answer will not come.
If you are sincere to learn without negativity then I will reply.

KWED

My stand is that for those who do not believe in a religion, be it Baha'i or no, are free to ask questions, but no need to push and push to faults the believer of said religion. If you do not believe, that is no problem, but are you looking for discredit a belief you don't believe in, that is wast of my time.
This is an open, public, religious debate forum. You don't get to decide what people debate about.

You can ask about my belief but if your question are meant to harm any religion, my answer will not come.
If you are sincere to learn without negativity then I will reply.
Are you sincere in learning about your belief? Do you entertain the possibility that Bahaullah was dishonest or delusional or mistaken? Do you accept that it may contain flaws, inconsistencies and unacceptable elements? Or do you simply accept what he said as true by default, because he said it?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This is an open, public, religious debate forum. You don't get to decide what people debate about.

Are you sincere in learning about your belief? Do you entertain the possibility that Bahaullah was dishonest or delusional or mistaken? Do you accept that it may contain flaws, inconsistencies and unacceptable elements? Or do you simply accept what he said as true by default, because he said it?
I have no need for stopping people from debate.
I am just as free to reply or nor reply as you are to ask questions.

I ask hundrede of questions about the teaching all the time to gain deeper understanding of it, the teaching is not just plain words and nothing more. The teaching reach our hearts and hopefully it helps us change to the better from within.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
There are about 8.6 million Baha'i according to the workd religion database.

That makes it one of the smaller religions.

View attachment 66178

Bahia's are in among the "other" segment.

Yes that’s very true. But put in perspective that’s about 5 million over 178 years compared to the billions of followers of the larger religions which reached their numbers over thousands of years. All the major religions at one time only had a small number of believers.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes that’s very true. But put in perspective that’s about 5 million over 178 years compared to the billions of followers of the larger religions which reached their numbers over thousands of years. All the major religions at one time only had a small number of believers.

True,

Colt

I heard the Baha'i faith is the second biggest faith worldwide.While christianity is the first.Is this true?:)
Jews don’t proselytize although they once did. It's said that around the time of the Roman empire and occupation Jews stopped proselytizing.

IMOP

firedragon

Veteran Member
I heard the Baha'i faith is the second biggest faith worldwide.While christianity is the first.Is this true?:)

The Bahai faith is fairly new, but I got to know that there are many adherents in India. I was surprised actually. Although, in India some Hindu's say that there aren't many and their numbers are concocted in statistics by sampling methodology. Well, I am not sure about that.

But it's not the second biggest faith by statistics if that's what you mean. Maybe 3 to 4 million. There are more Jains and Jews in numbers.

BUT, I am curious to know why you would ask that question here. The reason is because the effort to do an internet search is smaller than making a post here. ;)

firedragon

Veteran Member

Keeping aside that what you say is a commonly repeated statement by all Bahai's everywhere which makes it evident that they have taught you this as a typical response, and the fact that this is the age of the internet, global interaction and the world is very very very small in comparison to "thousands of years ago" which comparison is called the fallacy of anachronism. That's an invalid comparison, and is not needed in this thread.

How many muslims were there in the year 810? Just out of curiosity?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
However, if the Baha'i Faith claims to be the faith revealed to supersede both Islam and Christianity then the religion's growth becomes a relevant question. If the Baha'i Faith really has divine backing then it is relevant to ask why it has so far failed.
Failed in what way, failed to grow in numbers? Why would that have anything to do with whether of not it has divine backing?

Last edited:

Jedster

What do 'you think' the Baha'is lied about?
PMFJI
Where I live I know several Bahais and a few have left without informing the organiser of the group meetings.
According to the organiser, she can't take them off the official list without the leavers informing her.
If this happens in many Bahai communities, this would somewhat inflate their numbers.

Regards
Jester

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Failed in what way, failed to grow in numbers? Why would that have anything to do with whether of not it has divine baking?
Because if the Baha'i Faith is the religion revealed for this current historical era then it is not unreasonable to ask why the religion has so far failed to covert more than a few million at best in a world of billions and where information flows worldwide instantly.