• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have to be honest, Islam freaks me out

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I have always maintained my stance against violence, so I am not sure why you'd lie about it.

The thread is about violence that has been committed and your posts have been defending the Muslims' actions so it seemed you were defending violence. Then you created a thread asking if it is better to be a 'coward' or to be violent. Again, it seems you justify violence.

But perhaps there has been misunderstanding on both our parts?

Trey of Diamonds

My point is, if a child is carrying the banner, will you assume that a child of five is calling for beheading? Or if you believe that someone has given the child the banner, how will you find that 'someone' in order to punish them? As you can see, it is rather blurry in such cases, and you'll end up punishing innocent people.

The point is the OP is discussing violent protests by adult Muslims. Your posts about peaceful protests with children carrying banners has little to do with the discussion.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Religious dogma is beside the point.
how so?

The greatest transition in physics of the 20th century was that there is no passive observer. We are all active observers that influence that which we are observing.
Again, I don't equate this with pseudo-scientific notions like the Secret, which is simply new age notions attached to positive psychology. However, it still does have a profound shift on how we view our relation to nature. I think there is merit to liberal philosophy, but it hasn't yet reached its full expression.
we are an evolving species

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
straw man...

He approves

strawman1.jpg

Draka

Wonder Woman
I have always maintained my stance against violence, so I am not sure why you'd lie about it.
For someone so against violence you sure seemed to excuse or validate it a lot in this thread. Here's a prime example. I guess you like to change your tune a lot though, huh Music?
Ethnic groups have always been the butt of ridicule and stereotypes. And while most of them swallow their pride and ignore it, Muslims are now saying enough is enough. And that scares people.

Standing up for yourself is fine and good. But doing so using violence and threats is not justifiable, at least not when you have the option of doing so peacefully.

No offense, but it is easy for you to say because you have your white privilege intact, never been made to feel like an outcaste (as most Muslim immigrants do). Since you're not in their position, do you really believe you have any moral right to comment?

You seem to think no one has a moral right to comment on the violent acts of others. Oh excuse me, you seem to assume everyone is a white person who has never been outcast from anything and has led nothing but a privileged life and therefore has no moral right to comment on the violent acts of others. Do I have that right now?

I thought you were bowing out of this thread anyway?

jazzymom

Just Jewish
No offense, but it is easy for you to say because you have your white privilege intact, never been made to feel like an outcaste (as most Muslim immigrants do). Since you're not in their position, do you really believe you have any moral right to comment?

All immigrants have been made to feel like they are on the outside. My family certainly did when they arrived in the US from Germany.

My Italian Catholic relatives certainly were made to feel like outsiders when they came to this country.

But my ancestors assimilated as did all other immigrants.

They learned the language, and became part of society.

What previous generations did was to work hard so their children could have a part of the American dream.

There is something different in this case.

Most Americans have an immigrant past and have had ancestors who dealt with prejudice against them.

There are whole non white groups who have faced horrific prejudice and segregation in this country.

Their fight was won through non violent means.

So I don't agree that taking to the streets and acting out in violent ways is excusable.

jazzymom

Just Jewish
Other communities are also violent, just that they don't have the guts to stand up to what they believe is right. Muslims have honor.

There is no honor in killing another. One's honor is diminished when one acts out violently.

what are we evolving into do you think?
Hopefully a more peacefull and sharing species that is more willing to look after its fellow man(sic), take more responsibility in its actions with regard to other species and be able to finally drop the chains of repression that religious dogma is.

However it is more likely that we will fight ourselves into extinction due to the selfish nature of our species. And let's face it the world would be a better place for it.

jazzymom

Just Jewish
Islam does not freak me out but the violence coming from a segment of the Muslim population does freak me out and its very problematic.

The violence coming from the segment of the Muslim population unfortunately is not winning the hearts and minds of those who are fearful of Islam.

Islam does not freak me out but the violence coming from a segment of the Muslim population does freak me out and its very problematic.

The violence coming from the segment of the Muslim population unfortunately is not winning the hearts and minds of those who are fearful of Islam.

I keep getting told that it is a small minority of fundamentalist muslims that are promoting violent behaviour. I don't know the numbers but it looks as though the minority is not that small.

My impressions are that Islam is a very proud religion, possibly as it is the baby brother of judaism and christianity and acts accordingly. Shouty and attention seeking. It gets unessacarily cross if you tell it it's wrong. Touble with pride is that it often comes before a fall, not to mention being a sin.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I just don't see other religious groups expressing themselves this way. Even if you can find horrible things written in scripture from other religions, the followers are not seen to be so supportive of violence. It really scares me.

Police use pepper spray on anti-Islamic film protesters in Sydney at the US consulate | News.com.au

It's not religion that frightens me, it's the manner in which people choose to interpret and act upon interepretation of their religion. Unfortunately, the extreme of the spectrum remain in the spotlight.

Those that choose peace are weighed down by these atrocities and I genuinely feel for Muslims as I know there are many Muslims out there who would never think of supporting such behavior. I imagine it's quite heavy for them to see this behavior.

MartyrX

The protesters are no more Muslims than Pat Robertson is a Christian or the KKK. Let's just understand that you aren't seeing 1.7 billion Muslims out there. Nor are you seeing the peaceful pictures or the ones who are standing against the riots.

Trey of Diamonds

So you're okay with the Iraq war?

I don't consider it illegal. Considering Saddam Hussein held my parents hostage during the first Gulf War I had a personal bias against him and was perfectly happy to see his regime taken down. However, I agree with Colin Powell that the US doesn't have the will to fight the kind of war that would succeed in the Middle East.