• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have school project, can you help me?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
enlightenment only comes with unconditional love......unconditional love is the no thing = everything manifested from which the light arises

love said, let there be light. that enlightenment comes from within, it cannot be realized outside/divided against wholeness.
Yes enlightenment do get realized from with in, But that does not mean the body suddenly disapear and one do not live without food for the rest of the physical life, it means that we become free from human realm, no longer bound to the physical body. and no more reincarnation

Shantanu

Thanks. I just wanted to make the distinction in case the OP was looking for a more traditional Buddhist perspective in lieu of a more eclectic one. This, of course, doesn't at all to diminish the validity of your path. We just want our friend to do well on her school project by gaining a clear understanding of what perspective she's learning about, right? :)
I am a Hindu and treat Buddhism as a branch of Hinduism.

Shantanu

Maybe good for an other discussion, but again please remember that Ellen want to learn about Buddhism because that is her project in school. Would maybe be good to not make her confused with non buddhist teachings? Only my opinion
I will leave it to Ellen as I said to ask me or you for further guidance as needed for her school project.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Yes enlightenment do get realized from with in, But that does not mean the body suddenly disapear and one do not live without food for the rest of the physical life, it means that we become free from human realm, no longer bound to the physical body. and no more reincarnation

just as negative karma returns to the doer; so the positive returns to the followers of the Great Way.

The Buddha said, "There was a person who, upon hearing that I observe the Way and practice great humane kindness, intentionally came to berate me. I was silent and did not reply. When he finished abusing me, I asked, "If you are courteous to people and they do not accept your courtesy, the courtesy returns to you, does it not? '

or

Chapter 7: Evil Deeds Return to the Doer
The Buddha said, “Someone came to insult me upon hearing that I uphold the Way and practice great benevolence = love. But I kept silent and did not respond. After he had stopped, I asked him, ‘If you bring someone a gift and he does not accept it, does the gift remain with you?’ ‘It does,’ he replied. The Buddha said, ‘Now you insult me, but I do not accept it; this insult will only bring yourself harm. Just as echo follows sound and shadow trails form, there is no escape. Be vigilant to do no evil.’”

or

7. The Buddha said: "Once a man came unto me and denounced me on account of my observing the way and practicing great loving-kindness. But I kept silent and did not answer him. The denunciation ceased. I then asked him ‘If you bring a present to your neighbor and he accepts it not, does the present come back to you?’ The man replied, ‘It will.’ I said, ‘you denounce me now, but as I accept it not, you must take the wrong deed back on your own person. I is like echo succeeding sound, it is like shadow following object; you never escape the effect of your own evil deeds. Be therefore mindful, and cease from doing evil.’"

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Buddhism and Hinduism is two different teachings.
the enlightened don't cling to a worldly religion.

buddha didn't. he rejected his hindu roots
linchi rejected his buddhist learning
rumi rejected his for love
jesus rejected the popular and orthodox jewish idea. he was considered a heretic

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
the enlightened don't cling to a worldly religion.

buddha didn't. he rejected his hindu roots
linchi rejected his buddhist learning
rumi rejected his for love
jesus rejected the popular and orthodox jewish idea
The OP was about Buddhism that is what i answer to. What we call today as Buddhism was called Dharma or Dhamma by Buddha it means teaching. He was teaching how to end suffering in life just the same way he discover it when he did cultivate first under 4 different masters then by deep meditation.

I you want to dscuss different views of Buddhism or different views of what religion is lets start a different tread

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The OP was about Buddhism that is what i answer to. What we call today as Buddhism was called Dharma or Dhamma by Buddha it means teaching. He was teaching how to end suffering in life just the same way he discover it when he did cultivate first under 4 different masters then by deep meditation.

I you want to dscuss different views of Buddhism or different views of what religion is lets start a different tread
all forms of buddhism advocate loving kindness, compassion. i'm not interested in discussing outward appearances, forms. action only is relevant, karma.

enlightenment only comes with loving kindness to all and as all

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
all forms of buddhism advocate loving kindness, compassion. i'm not interesting discussing outward appearances, forms. action only is relevant, karma.
Well since i am a Buddhist i do know that ;)
Karma is reaction to action done in past or present moment, it can be a sudden repayment or it can take time from the wrong doing is done until the karma is repayed, and it will be by some form of suffering.

Shantanu

Buddhism and Hinduism is two different teachings.
Buddhism is to Hinduism what Genetics is to Biology: Buddha is regarded as an incarnation of God by Hindus. Nothing that Buddha taught was not already there in Hinduism in terms of jnana yoga and meditation. They just used different words to describe the path. So we Hindus find a lot of Buddhism reasonable. You have to remember that Hinduism is vast.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Buddhism is to Hinduism what Genetics is to Biology: Buddha is regarded as an incarnation of God by Hindus. Nothing that Buddha taught was not already there in Hinduism in terms of jnana yoga and meditation. They just used different words to describe the path. So we Hindus find a lot of Buddhism reasonable. You have to remember that Hinduism is vast.
Well i can only do my best to follow Sakyamunis teaching. And i have no doubt in his teaching

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes of course you must follow your own version of Buddhism.
It is not my version of Buddhism, I cultivate according to theravada tradition teaching. But yes i have my understanding of the truth, but i am far from understanding the truth the way a Buddha do

Shantanu

It is not my version of Buddhism, I cultivate according to theravada tradition teaching. But yes i have my understanding of the truth, but i am far from understanding the truth the way a Buddha do
In Existential Buddhism there is also the principle that one can be all the God that one will ever need or God to be attained just like as a Buddha: Ellen should know that.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Well since i am a Buddhist i do know that ;)
Karma is reaction to action done in past or present moment, it can be a sudden repayment or it can take time from the wrong doing is done until the karma is repayed, and it will be by some form of suffering.

karma is positive/negative action.

it isn't just negative.

we reap what we sow by casting our bread, the fruit of our spirit upon the waves of time/space and finding it again somewhere and sometime later.

love, loving is right it covers every path in the eight fold pathway

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
karma is positive/negative action.

it isn't just negative.

we reap what we sow by casting our bread, the fruit of our spirit upon the waves of time/space and finding it again somewhere and sometime later.
Karma is actually negative :) Virtue is the positive
Karma is a black substance that are alive in a different dimention then our physical body, but it affect us because when we do something negative we gain more black substance, and if we did something wrong toward an other person they get our good virtue while we gain their negative energy or karma.
if you look at yin and yang that is actually describing karma and virtue

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Karma is actually negative :) Virtue is the positive
Karma is a black substance that are alive in a different dimention then our physical body, but it affect us because when we do something negative we gain more black substance, and if we did something wrong toward an other person they get our good virtue while we gain their negative energy or karma.
if you look at yin and yang that is actually describing karma and virtue

the word karma literally means action, deed, work.

means action, work or deed;[1] it also refers to the spiritual principle of cause and effect where intent and actions of an individual (cause) influence the future of that individual (effect).[2] Good intent and good deeds contribute to good karma and future happiness, while bad intent and bad deeds contribute to bad karma and future suffering.[3][4]

The Buddha’s reply was:

"All living beings have actions (Karma) as their own, their inheritance, their congenital cause, their kinsman, their refuge. It is Karma that differentiates beings into low and high states."

how do you suppose these beings have received their low/high states? by always being negative?