• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have school project, can you help me?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
When I first read about Buddha he was very concerned about why people suffer, eg in old age, ailments, poverty, etc; so he set out to find a psychological means of alleviating their suffering. That was very commendable of him.

No offense, but I'm not sure you quite understand the concept.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
unconditional love, is an attachment to everything.

it isn't an attachment to this vs that. the Way of Bliss, Nirvana, the Land of Milk of Honey, mt. meru, paradise, is LOVE

shiva dances in the heart of flames and from the center of being flows everything.

Proverbs 4:23
Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
Unconditional love ot Bodhicitta as it is called in Buddhis it a combination of Compassion. love and kindness and for all living beings. But there is no attachments to this, because when this arise on the highest level there are no longer any attachments in life

Shantanu

Is it, though?

I'm not familiar with the relation. Can you point me in the direction of some literature or articles that discuss this?
I cannot offer you anything in the literature for what is a personally derived knowledge and the basis of what I practice.

It is important to eradicate suffering point No 1, craving is the thing that needs to be overcome, and this is done from acquiring detachment, etc. The basis of suffering is ignorance that things that happen are important. This is open to debate with Buddhists who say craving is the thing that causes dukkha. Meditation on the 8 Fold Cure is very important and needs to be practiced.

Existentialism is a modification of classical Buddhism. Where I vary from Sakyamuna Buddha is the importance I place on survival at all costs.This comes from the alleviation of dukkha by using techniques on dealing with matters that cause suffering by right thoughts. This is the motivating factor in getting people to take a vow of adopting Buddhism as practiced by an Existentialist. Stress prolongs life and generates good health. That anyone can agree with.

The great benefit of acquiring knowledge to get one to reason properly in ways that alleviate suffering also makes one enlightened and thereby leads to nirvana in this life. There is no after life - Existential Buddhism differs from Classical Buddhism also in this respect.

So in short, this is why I said that Existentialism is a form of Buddhism. It enables survival with peace of mind.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I cannot offer you anything in the literature for what is a personally derived knowledge and the basis of what I practice.

It is important to eradicate suffering point No 1, craving is the thing that needs to be overcome, and this is done from acquiring detachment, etc. The basis of suffering is ignorance that things that happen are important. This is open to debate with Buddhists who say craving is the thing that causes dukkha. Meditation on the 8 Fold Cure is very important and needs to be practiced.

Existentialism is a modification of classical Buddhism. Where I vary from Sakyamuna Buddha is the importance I place on survival at all costs.This comes from the alleviation of dukkha by using techniques on dealing with matters that cause suffering by right thoughts. This is the motivating factor in getting people to take a vow of adopting Buddhism as practiced by an Existentialist. Stress prolongs life and generates good health. That anyone can agree with.

The great benefit of acquiring knowledge to get one to reason properly in ways that alleviate suffering also makes one enlightened and thereby leads to nirvana in this life. There is no after life - Existential Buddhism differs from Classical Buddhism also in this respect.

So in short, this is why I said that Existentialism is a form of Buddhism. It enables survival with peace of mind.

Is Existentialism more of a personal path coined by you, or are there others that follow the same path and identify as such?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

what is Meditation on the 8 Fold Cure? Never heard of this in Buddhism and remember The OP is about Buddhism, not your existential view

Shantanu

Is Existentialism more of a personal path coined by you, or are there others that follow the same path and identify as such?
I am still learning what I practice as Born Again Human Being as a personal path coined by myself. I would recommend the book by Kenneth Walker, Diagnosis of Man (1943) for some very enlightening expressive views.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Unconditional love ot Bodhicitta as it is called in Buddhis it a combination of Compassion. love and kindness and for all living beings. But there is no attachments to this, because when this arise on the highest level there are no longer any attachments in life
love is life, everlasting life. there is no attachment to form with unconditional love, or the earthly, the material. but i guarantee you that siddhartha ate material food, as did jesus, the love feast is considered the epitome of caring and sharing.

love is the food of the gods, love is the food of the beloved.

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of love.'"

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I am still learning what I practice as Born Again Human Being as a personal path coined by myself. I would recommend the book by Kenneth Walker, Diagnosis of Man (1943) for some very enlightening expressive views.
Maybe good for an other discussion, but again please remember that Ellen want to learn about Buddhism because that is her project in school. Would maybe be good to not make her confused with non buddhist teachings? Only my opinion

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Thanks. I just wanted to make the distinction in case the OP was looking for a more traditional Buddhist perspective in lieu of a more eclectic one. This, of course, doesn't at all to diminish the validity of your path. We just want our friend to do well on her school project by gaining a clear understanding of what perspective she's learning about, right? :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
love is life, everlasting life. there is no attachment to form with unconditional love, or the earthly, the material. but i guarantee you that siddhartha ate material food, as did jesus, the love feast is considered the epitome of caring and sharing.

love is the food of the gods, love is the food of the beloved.

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of love.'"
Yes Buddha did eat food when he was on earth, But because of his enlightenment he did not have attachments to what he eat. That dont mean he had no food at all, it only mean his attachments to the taste. He eat because body need nurisment

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Yes Buddha did eat food when he was on earth, But because of his enlightenment he did not have attachments to what he eat. That dont mean he had no food at all, it only mean his attachments to the taste. He eat because body need nurisment

enlightenment only comes with unconditional love......unconditional love is the no thing = everything manifested from which the light arises

love said, let there be light. that enlightenment comes from within, it cannot be realized outside/divided against wholeness.