• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a silly question...

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
As with so much else in neopaganism, it depends on the indivdual.

That said, while I never met a Dianic who explicitly renounced male deities, they were (imx) treated as superfluous at best. One of the reasons I didn't linger long on the Dianic path.

ETA: And I don't think it was a silly question at all. :)

ETA: And I don't think it was a silly question at all. :)
Thank you.
I am just trying to wade my way through my questions and thoughts about
what I believe and I am considering a Dianic path (I hope I am using the right terminology)
because of the way I view the God I grew up being taught about.

Demonic Kitten

I agree with Storm. That wasn't a silly question at all. Also, it does depend on the individual. I'm a seeker, but if you had to label me it would either be Pagan or Witch. I worship the Goddess, but I do not reject the God because to me you can't have one without the other. To me, The Goddess and God represent the balance of all things. Hope this makes sense.

Erebus

do those who follow this path renounce the god(s)?
or do they simply chose not to worship them?

Like Storm, I've never heard of a Goddess worshipper who actually renounced one of the gods, it's just that male gods have less (or sometimes no) importance in the pantheon.
Personally I find I prefer female deities for healing, relationships and comfort and male deities for action, anger and force.

Seriously, have you tried asking Her?

If you don't get any ideas here, or from your own research, then I suggest just reaching out to Her. I think the One who made you knows you better than you know yourself, and She is more interested in you than in whether you've dotted all your i's and crossed all your t's.

There's a Christian story that's applies here:
Once there was a very talented juggler named Barnabe who decided to become a monk. Now, it was the custom of the monastery to do things in honor of the Virgin Mary. One monk would write poetry, another would sculpt statues, another would paint, and so on. The juggler could do nothing like this and became very depressed. Suddenly, one day he was happy again. The prior noticed Barnabe’s change in behavior and wondered what caused it. One night, he decided to follow Barnabe and discovered the juggler in the chapel performing his juggling tricks in front of a statue of the Virgin Mary. Horrified, the prior ran to get the abbot to see the sacrilege that was being committed in the chapel. But when they both arrived to stop Barnabe they saw the statue come to life and the Virgin wipe the sweat off the brow of the juggler.
I suspect She will receive the sincere efforts of your heart with the same love you give to Her. It is always the intent of the heart that matters. I think that whatever you do to please Her will please Her.

Last edited:

sol_mas

Spiritual Investigator

I don't renounce the God(s), I just don't feel called to them. My calling is to the Goddess. I haven't found a better way to explain it for me personally.

Thank you.
I am just trying to wade my way through my questions and thoughts about
what I believe and I am considering a Dianic path (I hope I am using the right terminology)
because of the way I view the God I grew up being taught about.

You may also consider that what you were taught about God might have been wrong. It was for me.

Hope this helps, and I hope you find what you're looking for.

-sm

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
Any ideas on how to make Isis Aset comfortable in a Wiccan setting, such as an esbat?

Treating her as Isis, with a knowledge of her history and the historical details of her worship, will likely make her far more comfortable in a Wiccan setting then if she was treated like the yo-random "egypt flavored" mother-goddess she usually is by that lot.

And once the circle gets a whiff of real Kyphi it may inspire them to move beyond the usual Italian kitchen fire that results from "correspondence driven" incense making.

This is how I saw it explained on another forum:

a) some (I would say most) do recognize the importance of male gods, they just choose not to invoke them during ritual
b) there are also those who are Goddess monotheists who believe that Goddess is the only entity out there (see for example, the Chapel of Our Mother God, which doesn't claim to be Pagan) but I would say they are definitely a minority

So I would say the answer to your question is: "They simply choose not to worship them," but individual thealogy will differ.