• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a cat

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The cat is spraying in my house. We brought it to the vet but there is nothing physically wrong with him. He is neutered. If it is a mental problem how is it fixed?

I don't mind dust too much. I don't mind a little clutter. But I need my house to smell all right.

:help:

Awoon

The cat is spraying in my house. We brought it to the vet but there is nothing physically wrong with him. He is neutered. If it is a mental problem how is it fixed?

I don't mind dust too much. I don't mind a little clutter. But I need my house to smell all right.

:help:

We had to put our cockatiel Hobo, to sleep Wednesday.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

If nothing is wong with him it's just simply a bad habit of territorial marking :0
It can be a hard thing, but basically it's just taming your cat and showing him that sprawing inside is baaad (punishment) and not spraying is gooood (reward) Just like when you learn a kitty or a dog to do his things in the right place.

Else you can buy a special spray that smell bad for the cat, and he'll avoid those corners...I know it's based on mustard or vinegar. It smell a little, but less than cat ****...

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thank you JayaBholenath. We wonder why he started after so much time being good. He goes outside. It might be the snow, it is the only variable that we know of. I will try the natural remedy.

Awoon

That is sad. I am sorry. I know they have a long lifespan. Did Hobo live a long life?

This cat seems very healthy.

We dont know how old he was. We had him for eight yrs, the people before us had him five yrs. He flew into their yard one day, they asked around the neighborhood put adds in the papers but noone claimed him. So he could have been 15-20 yrs old.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We dont know how old he was. We had him for eight yrs, the people before us had him five yrs. He flew into their yard one day, they asked around the neighborhood put adds in the papers but noone claimed him. So he could have been 15-20 yrs old.

How did the neighbors give him up?

This is what I gleaned from Wiki; the birds were so beautiful that they named them after mythical nymphs.

I do not see that they "talk".

Awoon

How did the neighbors give him up?

This is what I gleaned from Wiki; the birds were so beautiful that they named them after mythical nymphs.

I do not see that they "talk".

The person who had him was unable to care him because he was in a wheel chair and his family didnt have the time to care for him. They asked my wife at work if she would like a bird so we took him in. Hobo used to ride all over town with me in the car. Little kids in school buses loved to see him.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Thank you JayaBholenath. We wonder why he started after so much time being good. He goes outside. It might be the snow, it is the only variable that we know of. I will try the natural remedy.

Well sometimes it's due to urine infection, but if your vet said there was no problem then, I don't see any other option :/ I hope everything will be right !

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Vanakkam,

If nothing is wong with him it's just simply a bad habit of territorial marking

Yes, this is it. If a cat learns to spray before he is neutered, neutering will not stop the spraying. It's a behavior modification issue, not punishment or anything more drastic like re-homing or euthanizing. Feliway diffusers, which are like Glade Plug-ins, emit cat pheromones that have a calming effect.

As for cockatiels, they can live 15-20 years. Mine, who was a re-home from some kooky people, died last year. I suspect he was older than the people told me. That happened with two little ferrets I took in, one who died within a few weeks and the other a few months after coming to live with me. Their previous owners knew they were old and sick and didn't want to bother with them anymore. They came to me to live out their little lives. I was playing Hey Jude one night on the guitar and when I got to "... so let her into your heart, then you can start to make it better" I started crying. :(

ZooGirl02

Vanakkam,

If nothing is wong with him it's just simply a bad habit of territorial marking :0
It can be a hard thing, but basically it's just taming your cat and showing him that sprawing inside is baaad (punishment) and not spraying is gooood (reward) Just like when you learn a kitty or a dog to do his things in the right place.

Else you can buy a special spray that smell bad for the cat, and he'll avoid those corners...I know it's based on mustard or vinegar. It smell a little, but less than cat ****...

Actually, its not good to punish a cat. Cats do not understand punishment. Instead one should change the surroundings and environment in such a way as to make the spraying less desirable. Or when you see the cat getting ready to spray you could shake a can of coins loudly or spray him with a squirt from a water bottle or water gun. That's not really a punishment but is more of a way of distracting them.