• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Felt A Heavy Weight On Me While Asleep.

psalm91

How It Began

I am a male, 21 years of age, from Nigeria. And a few days before I turned 21 a couple of days ago, I felt something heavy on me while I was asleep. It felt like I was being pressed down, I lost my voice and my ability to move. I wanted to say "Jesus" but there was no voice even for that. After like 10 to 15 seconds, it went away and I woke up. I shrugged it off as sleep paralysis.

Latest Occurence

Tonight (I am typing this at 3:01 AM, I got up by 2:34 AM or thereabout), there were some people holding a night vigil which seriously couldn't allow me sleep. I was drifting in and out, and due to their very loud shouts, I was having a lot of nightmares because I could not sleep peacefully. I do not know if it was coincidentally or whatever, but when they got to the part where they waged war against the night fliers* (because I could literally hear them pray even in my dreams because they were too loud), the thing came again, and held me down, with the scenario of the last one holding again.

What can this be? Is it normal? Who has had the same experience and what is it exactly?

Thank you.

* Withcraft.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The story is yours to tell.

What do your cultural traditions suggest to you? What might the story look like in other cultures? What story do you want to tell about it? Most importantly, how will the story you tell influence your life and the lives of those around you? In positive ways? In negative ways? A bit of both?

There are some cultures who would tell you that you've been visited by an incubus or a succubus. There are other cultures that would tell you that it's just sleep paralysis or a trick of your brain. Other cultures still might tell you the spirits of the land are crying out for help and trying to get someone's attention.

In any event, if by "normal" you mean that this experience is had by many other humans on the planet, yes, what you experienced is within the realm of "normal."

nPeace

Veteran Member
How It Began

I am a male, 21 years of age, from Nigeria. And a few days before I turned 21 a couple of days ago, I felt something heavy on me while I was asleep. It felt like I was being pressed down, I lost my voice and my ability to move. I wanted to say "Jesus" but there was no voice even for that. After like 10 to 15 seconds, it went away and I woke up. I shrugged it off as sleep paralysis.

Latest Occurence

Tonight (I am typing this at 3:01 AM, I got up by 2:34 AM or thereabout), there were some people holding a night vigil which seriously couldn't allow me sleep. I was drifting in and out, and due to their very loud shouts, I was having a lot of nightmares because I could not sleep peacefully. I do not know if it was coincidentally or whatever, but when they got to the part where they waged war against the night fliers* (because I could literally hear them pray even in my dreams because they were too loud), the thing came again, and held me down, with the scenario of the last one holding again.

What can this be? Is it normal? Who has had the same experience and what is it exactly?

Thank you.

* Withcraft.
People have different opinions on this.
Not being able to prove those ideas however, does not give a conclusive answer.
My questions would include, why does it come on? Why does it stop?
I used to experience it regularly - quite often during the day.
After some lifestyle changes, like cutting out entirely certain movies, music, and games, I have not had the experience since. This is years now. So why did it stop?

Also, I used to struggle to move, but when I did not struggle, but prayed, it ceased within seconds. Why?
Why am I so aware, of my environment, and fully alert in mind, to think clearly on what is really happening, and what exactly to do, if I am asleep, and in some kind of paralysis?
That doesn't make any sense to me.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
After some lifestyle changes, like cutting out entirely certain movies, music, and games, I have not had the experience since. This is years now. So why did it stop?

You had paralysis during the day?

Also, I used to struggle to move, but when I did not struggle, but prayed, it ceased within seconds. Why?
Why am I so aware, of my environment, and fully alert in mind, to think clearly on what is really happening, and what exactly to do, if I am asleep, and in some kind of paralysis?
That doesn't make any sense to me.

Everyone is paralyzed during REM sleep cycles so they don't physically act out their dreams. When someone becomes aware of sleep paralysis, it's because there's been a little hitch in the body's timing and the body wasn't quite in step with the brain. It's not uncommon, and it can be pretty alarming, but there's a reasonable biological explanation for it.

nPeace

Veteran Member
You had paralysis during the day?
I would not call it paralysis. I don't think you should either, since you don't know.
However, during the day is when I had my experiences. At night, almost never. I can remember at least one time, but I think that was different.

Everyone is paralyzed during REM sleep cycles so they don't physically act out their dreams. When someone becomes aware of sleep paralysis, it's because there's been a little hitch in the body's timing and the body wasn't quite in step with the brain.
REM? I barely dozed off, when I laid down to rest for a few minutes.

It's not uncommon, and it can be pretty alarming, but there's a reasonable biological explanation for it.
Please explain the biological explanation to me, based on my experience.

InChrist

Free4ever
How It Began

Latest Occurence

Thank you.

* Withcraft.
My husband had something similar occur years ago just after we both trusted Jesus Christ and were born again. One night he was sleeping and awoke to feel something pressing hard upon his chest. He could not speak or wake me up. He could only think the name of Jesus in his mind and non-verbally call out to Jesus for help. Immediately, the pressure stopped and he woke me, told me about it, and we prayed. We had no doubt it was a demonic attack. Prior to becoming Christians we had been involved in false religions, occultism, and new age spirituality. Satan was not happy we had found the truth and freedom in Jesus Christ.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
I would not call it paralysis. I don't think you should either, since you don't know.
However, during the day is when I had my experiences. At night, almost never. I can remember at least one time, but I think that was different.

You said you experienced "it" without explaining what "it" was. I was asking you, not telling you, because of course I don't know what "it" is until you tell me.

So what was "it?"

1. Our perceptions aren't always accurate. You could've been asleep much long than you realized, allowing you to reach REM sleep after an hour or so, although you can start dreaming before you're even quite asleep, and when you're partly woken up. It's called hypnagogia, and you can experience hypnagogic hallucinations.

2. Or maybe you have narcolepsy, there's that.

You'd have to explain what your experience was. The biological explanation I was referring to was sleep paralysis, where your body goes into paralysis to keep you from acting out your dreams.

nPeace

Veteran Member
You said you experienced "it" without explaining what "it" was.
I was responding to the OP.
Isn't "it" "a heavy weight on me"...and I won't say while asleep, since I don't know I was asleep all the time.

I was asking you, not telling you, because of course I don't know what "it" is until you tell me.

So what was "it?"
A force against me.

1. Our perceptions aren't always accurate. You could've been asleep much long than you realized, allowing you to reach REM sleep after an hour or so, although you can start dreaming before you're even quite asleep, and when you're partly woken up. It's called hypnagogia, and you can experience hypnagogic hallucinations.

2. Or maybe you have narcolepsy, there's that.
Could be. Could be not.

So, a couple minutes dozing, is hypnagogic hallucinations, or narcolepsy.
An hour or more, is paralysis.
Nothing more you know of, right?
Could be?

You'd have to explain what your experience was. The biological explanation I was referring to was sleep paralysis, where your body goes into paralysis to keep you from acting out your dreams.
I gave my experience in my first post, which you responded to.
My questions would include, why does it come on? Why does it stop?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

That poster just explained it to you, but here you go:

"What Is Sleep Paralysis?​

Sleep paralysis is a condition marked by a brief loss of muscle control, known as atonia Trusted SourceNational Library of Medicine, Biotech InformationThe National Center for Biotechnology Information advances science and health by providing access to biomedical and genomic information.View Source, that happens just after falling asleep or before waking up. In addition to atonia, people often experience hallucinations during episodes of sleep paralysis. ..."

"Sleep paralysis refers to the phenomenon in which resumption of consciousness occurs while muscle atonia of REM (rapid eye movement) sleep is maintained, leading to intense fear and apprehension in the patient as the patient lies awake without the ability to use any part of their body.[1] It is often accompanied by visual hallucinations of the intruder and incubus variety.[2][3] Intruder hallucinations involve the perception of a dangerous person or presence in the room. The Incubus phenomenon is characterized by a hallucination with a feeling of pressure on the thorax while carrying out aggressive and/or sexual acts. It tends to be accompanied by anxiety, paralysis, and feelings of suffocation.

The usual phase of the sleep cycle in which it manifests is the REM sleep phase. During Non-REM sleep, there is an increase in parasympathetic tone and a decrease in sympathetic tone, while during phasic REM sleep, there are surges in sympathetic tone. It prevents movement of body parts in response to the dreams and muscles of the body become paralyzed temporarily. If the patient achieves wakefulness in this state, it creates the dissociation between perception and motor control that is characteristic of sleep paralysis.[4]

The possible explanation for Incubus hallucination during an episode of sleep paralysis is that there is a decrease in respiratory muscle activity during REM sleep; this is due to the inhibition of motor neurons. During REM sleep, respiration becomes irregular, and there is skeletal muscle hypotonia resulting in significant reductions in alveolar ventilation and tidal volume, leading to hypercapnia. In normal subjects, alveolar ventilation during REM sleep can be 40% lower than during wakefulness.

A hypervigilant state is also characteristic of REM sleep, and it appears to originate in the midbrain. This hypervigilance leads to the fear and paranoia that often accompanies these episodes.[8] A possible explanation for REM sleep disorders is flawing in the structures forming the brainstem.[8]"

anna.

but mostly it's the same
The possible explanation for Incubus hallucination during an episode of sleep paralysis is that there is a decrease in respiratory muscle activity during REM sleep; this is due to the inhibition of motor neurons. During REM sleep, respiration becomes irregular, and there is skeletal muscle hypotonia resulting in significant reductions in alveolar ventilation and tidal volume, leading to hypercapnia. In normal subjects, alveolar ventilation during REM sleep can be 40% lower than during wakefulness.

A hypervigilant state is also characteristic of REM sleep, and it appears to originate in the midbrain. This hypervigilance leads to the fear and paranoia that often accompanies these episodes.[8] A possible explanation for REM sleep disorders is flawing in the structures forming the brainstem.[8]"

Yeah, the demon thing is just... no. Could be sleep apnea too, where people have dreams about being choked and they wake up gasping for air because their airway was obstructed and their unconscious created a story.

nPeace

Veteran Member
That poster just explained it to you, but here you go:

"What Is Sleep Paralysis?​

Sleep paralysis is a condition marked by a brief loss of muscle control, known as atonia Trusted SourceNational Library of Medicine, Biotech InformationThe National Center for Biotechnology Information advances science and health by providing access to biomedical and genomic information.View Source, that happens just after falling asleep or before waking up. In addition to atonia, people often experience hallucinations during episodes of sleep paralysis. ..."

"Sleep paralysis refers to the phenomenon in which resumption of consciousness occurs while muscle atonia of REM (rapid eye movement) sleep is maintained, leading to intense fear and apprehension in the patient as the patient lies awake without the ability to use any part of their body.[1] It is often accompanied by visual hallucinations of the intruder and incubus variety.[2][3] Intruder hallucinations involve the perception of a dangerous person or presence in the room. The Incubus phenomenon is characterized by a hallucination with a feeling of pressure on the thorax while carrying out aggressive and/or sexual acts. It tends to be accompanied by anxiety, paralysis, and feelings of suffocation.

The usual phase of the sleep cycle in which it manifests is the REM sleep phase. During Non-REM sleep, there is an increase in parasympathetic tone and a decrease in sympathetic tone, while during phasic REM sleep, there are surges in sympathetic tone. It prevents movement of body parts in response to the dreams and muscles of the body become paralyzed temporarily. If the patient achieves wakefulness in this state, it creates the dissociation between perception and motor control that is characteristic of sleep paralysis.[4]

Thanks.
I read the first article. That is a good explanation.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Yeah, the demon thing is just... no. Could be sleep apnea too, where people have dreams about being choked and they wake up gasping for air because their airway was obstructed and their unconscious created a story.
They gave an explanation for experiencing rape also.
Why do you dismiss demon activity?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Yeah, the demon thing is just... no.
Agreed. Though when you don't know what it is, I can see how the mind would jump to that conclusion very easily.
Could be sleep apnea too, where people have dreams about being choked and they wake up gasping for air because their airway was obstructed and their unconscious created a story.
Could be. That sounds absolutely awful.:confused:

nPeace

Veteran Member
Agreed. Though when you don't know what it is, I can see how the mind would jump to that conclusion very easily.
Equally. You could also jump to the conclusion that it's sleep paralysis, or something along thes lines, when you don't know. Agreed?
Do you know that it cannot be something other than sleep paralysis?
I'll ask you the same question I asked @anna. Why do you dismiss demon activity?