• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I fear nothingness

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, I don't fear death. There is nothing to fear.

My consciousness briefly discontinues existence each time I sleep at night. And it experienced eternal nonexistence before I was born. It's peace in its most extreme form.

Depending on the circumstances, I might fear the dying part. Where there's blood and pain and all that... But after that, the death part is the easy part.

logician

The "fear" of death comes from the knowledge that one will be forever separated from those they love, certainly a rational fear.

Raithie

atheist
Why dwell on the here-after like a theist if you're an atheist?

I don't dwell on it for the most part. But the thought of it is obviously inevitable. And then you realize how much it sucks.

A life time is a long time, enjoy it fully and thoroughly.
I agree that we should enjoy life fully. I don't think 60-80 years is all that long, however. Unfortunately, I can do nothing but accept this. Or, I guess I could hide behind the comforting veil of an afterlife, but the rational part of me could never do that.

Plenty enough time to worry when you're laying in your death bed.
That doesn't make death any nicer. Existing rocks!

Raithie

atheist
No, I don't fear death. There is nothing to fear.

My consciousness briefly discontinues existence each time I sleep at night. And it experienced eternal nonexistence before I was born. It's peace in its most extreme form.

Depending on the circumstances, I might fear the dying part. Where there's blood and pain and all that... But after that, the death part is the easy part.

When you sleep, you wake up. If sleep was permanent, I'd fear sleep.

Existing is awesome, and now that I'm alive, I want to continue on doing so. Once I die, I won't notice it - but since I'm here now, I'd rather not diminish into an eternal nothing. I love being.

How can you accept non-existence so easily?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Of course the I fears death, for the I depends on the temporary human body/brain for its existence. This is just as true for 'believers' as it is for atheists.

However the question of consciousness not based on temporary creations is another subject and in this context, what the I perceives as not-I, i.e. everything else in existence, is perhaps not the unconscious nothingness that the mortal I imagines it to be.

Now I'm not making any claims, just that IMHO there is still a mystery as to the other side of life as the I perceives life. So I both fear my coming death and yet a part of me is looking forward to it even though there is no hope for the continuation of my ego, i.e. me/I, with the hope/faith that there is a transcendent impersonal state after all. :)

Yerda

Veteran Member
I also fear death. I suspect that the people who say they don't are full of it. The irony of my signature amuses me...

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
I also fear death. I suspect that the people who say they don't are full of it.

Some eight months ago I was hospitalised with the Swine Flu. As it turns out I had also contracted a rather nasty infection in my lungs to top it off. As I lay under surveilance I was well aware that people of exactly my age and group had already died under very similar conditions.

When it became clear that the oxygen levels in my blood were, despite their efforts, steadily declining and they told me that they had to "put me under" to have any hope of containing the infection, I was far from sure that I would ever wake up again.

I was not afraid. And while I certainly wish to live as long as possible I can come up with no logical reason for why I should be spared and not another. So with that in mind I agree to enter the artificial coma, not that I had much choice, seeing as it was the best chance they had of battling the infection.

Thankfully it all worked out and after about a week in a coma and a total of three weeks of hospitalisation I am now alive and well, with only a scar on my troath where the oxygen tube was fitted, to show for it.

But I can, with some confidence and without "being full of it", say that I am not afraid of dying.

GabrielWithoutWings

I had an existenstial meltdown overanalyzing fear of death a few years ago. I've sort of mellowed into a melancholic agnostic who tries to not think about it, really.

It basically boiled down to the fact that if there is no afterlife then there was no point in me being here in the first place. If my life has no cosmic meaning, then why am I even here?

Why did I learn 1+1=2 and why did I form relationships and why have I had my heart broken just so I and everything I've experienced can be snuffed out and erased when I die? I took it further but that's the gist of it.

Midnight Pete

Some eight months ago I was hospitalised with the Swine Flu. As it turns out I had also contracted a rather nasty infection in my lungs to top it off. As I lay under surveilance I was well aware that people of exactly my age and group had already died under very similar conditions.

When it became clear that the oxygen levels in my blood were, despite their efforts, steadily declining and they told me that they had to "put me under" to have any hope of containing the infection, I was far from sure that I would ever wake up again.

I was not afraid. And while I certainly wish to live as long as possible I can come up with no logical reason for why I should be spared and not another. So with that in mind I agree to enter the artificial coma, not that I had much choice, seeing as it was the best chance they had of battling the infection.

Thankfully it all worked out and after about a week in a coma and a total of three weeks of hospitalisation I am now alive and well, with only a scar on my troath where the oxygen tube was fitted, to show for it.

But I can, with some confidence and without "being full of it", say that I am not afraid of dying.

Sure you are, it's just that your fear of death isn't always apparent. If you suddenly found out you were on a hijacked plane and the terrorists announced their plans to crash it into a building, how would you feel? Bored? Impatient?

The fear of death is hardwired into every human being. That's how we've survived as a species for all this time.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
I don't dwell on it for the most part. But the thought of it is obviously inevitable. And then you realize how much it sucks.

Well, you DID start a thread on the subject, which does appear quite "dwellish."

I agree that we should enjoy life fully. I don't think 60-80 years is all that long, however. Unfortunately, I can do nothing but accept this. Or, I guess I could hide behind the comforting veil of an afterlife, but the rational part of me could never do that.

Trust me, in the half-century of my life, I think my life is pretty long. I've even returned to school after some 30+ years do grab some degrees so I'll ahve a good paying job until I retire.

That doesn't make death any nicer. Existing rocks!

That it does, tho I am a theist who believes in reencarnation. ;)

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Sure you are, it's just that your fear of death isn't always apparent.

That's a rather bold statement considering that you don't know me. Do you really think that everyone has the same fears as you do? Do you think that it is impossible to reconcile oneself with the fact that we are going to die and that death itself holds no fear?

If you suddenly found out you were on a hijacked plane and the terrorists announced their plans to crash it into a building, how would you feel? Bored? Impatient?

I would do whatever I could to make sure that didn't happen, even at the cost of my own life, which, if the terrorists got their way, would be forfeit anyway. But a death like that would be short and relatively painless. There are much much worse ways to go.

The fear of death is hardwired into every human being. That's how we've survived as a species for all this time.

Fear of danger is hard-wired, perhaps, but it is not until we reach a certain level of maturity that we even understand that we are going to die. And do you think it impossible to overcome one's instincts?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Sure you are, it's just that your fear of death isn't always apparent. If you suddenly found out you were on a hijacked plane and the terrorists announced their plans to crash it into a building, how would you feel? Bored? Impatient?

that is why the psychology of religion resonates with the fearful...

if you live for the after life, you're already dead, imo

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
I try to be careful about what I fear- you become enslaved to fears if they get out of hand, and who wishes to be enslaved to nothingness? There's nothing to be afraid of in non-existence. Your body was non-existent before it was born. Your soul and spirit too, if you do not believe them to share in eternity. Did it hurt to not exist before? Then why should it the second time? Grief is hard, but then life is full of grief whether you live or you die. Better to not fear death and rather prepare for it, by making this life as good as it can be while it lasts.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've come to accept and acknowledge that whatever happens is going to happen. Nothingness is a downer, but at the same time it has compelled me to go out and do what I can to make an impact that will enable my reputation to survive my death. And really, a very long extended life with good health would be nice, but immortality would take an unfathomable amount of endurance to survive.

Raithie

atheist
Ever gone under general anesthesia? How did you feel while you were unconscious? Didn't feel anything, did ya. That was nothingness. When your mind doesn't exist, you obviously can't experience anything. Just like the billions of years before you were born, so it will be after you die. Nothing to be afraid of, love. Don't worry about it. :beach:
No, I haven't.

You seem to be missing the point. As I stated in the OP, I am aware that once I have succumbed to death, I will obviously be unaware of my passing, or anything, for that matter. But since I am alive now, I'd like to continue on existing. Since I am alive now, there is something to be afraid of. Since I am alive now, I've realized how amazing existence is and that I most definitely don't want it to end. I know at one stage it will, but that doesn't change my opinion on the matter.