• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't like the term seeker

tjgillies

I'm an eternal seeker. I have a religion that I believe is true but I'm open to the possibility that it isn't true. This hopefully will always be the case.

Corthos

Great Old One
I don't think that makes you a seeker, I think that just makes you open minded and intellectually honest. Reason and religion don't have to be at odds, but religion should always give way for reason when they happen to disagree. =)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I don't think that makes you a seeker, I think that just makes you open minded and intellectually honest. Reason and religion don't have to be at odds, but religion should always give way for reason when they happen to disagree. =)
I agree. I could have written that OP myself; I just wouldn't have called the thread what tjgillies did. To me, this particular forum is great for people who have spiritual leanings and are looking for a religion with people who have similar beliefs. Some don't have any idea where to start, and this is a good place to do that.

tjgillies

I agree. I could have written that OP myself; I just wouldn't have called the thread what tjgillies did. To me, this particular forum is great for people who have spiritual leanings and are looking for a religion with people who have similar beliefs. Some don't have any idea where to start, and this is a good place to do that.
For people who come here looking. If you believe in God then the Baha'i believe you already belong to the only true religion. If you want to deepen your understanding though you can learn about the manifestation of Bahaullah https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahá'í_Faith

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I have been quite impressed by most Baha'is I've met on this forum, and with their worldview. Mostly, though, I have been impressed by the beauty of the Baha'i scriptures people have posted. They really speak to my heart. Unfortunately, I was told by one member of the Baha'i Faith that the idea that "if you believe in God, the Baha'i believe you already belong to the only true religion" doesn't extend to my religion -- Mormonism. That made me feel bad, but maybe that was just his own personal perspective.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm an eternal seeker. I have a religion that I believe is true but I'm open to the possibility that it isn't true. This hopefully will always be the case.

I get that. Just passing through the experiences as it presents itself. I honestly don't know what there is actually to seek. out when it comes to the grand scheme of things anyways, yet there are venues that are true for mind and body and so, worth it, until they become no longer valid.

My original Sig went along something like this..

I don't remember where I've been, and don't know where I'm going.

:)

tjgillies

I have been quite impressed by most Baha'is I've met on this forum, and with their worldview. Mostly, though, I have been impressed by the beauty of the Baha'i scriptures people have posted. They really speak to my heart. Unfortunately, I was told by one member of the Baha'i Faith that the idea that "if you believe in God, the Baha'i believe you already belong to the only true religion" doesn't extend to my religion -- Mormonism. That made me feel bad, but maybe that was just his own personal perspective.
He was wrong. All who believe in God are part of his religion. Some bahais get confused and think that because we don't acknowledge Joseph Smith as a manifestation that Mormons don't belong to the religion of God. This is divisive and untrue.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I guess it is never possible to please everybody... I wish the Bahai did not claim to encompass my own faith under their umbrella.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
He was wrong. All who believe in God are part of his religion. Some bahais get confused and think that because we don't acknowledge Joseph Smith as a manifestation that Mormons don't belong to the religion of God. This is divisive and untrue.
That's good to know! Thanks.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
All who believe in God are part of his religion.
I believe in God.
I don't see any reason to believe God cares about anything. Certainly not the doings or beliefs of a few clever apes on earth. Or what happens to us.
The evidence for this is all around us.
A
Bahai is a better bit of fiction than most religions, but it remains one nevertheless.
Tom

tjgillies

I guess it is never possible to please everybody... I wish the Bahai did not claim to encompass my own faith under their umbrella.
The Baha'i don't claim to encompass any religion. We do claim however that there is only one religion. Any attempt to make a separate religion is really a failure to understand the true essence of religion.

The Baha'i see their "religion" not so much as a separate religion but as a covenant with the manifestation of Bahaullah.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
But do they, if you don't believe in God, Luis? I didn't think they did.
That is why it displeases me. They have decided on my behalf that my religion shares their God, despite an obvious and IMO irreconciliable mismatch of doctrines.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The Baha'i don't claim to encompass any religion. We do claim however that there is only one religion. Any attempt to make a separate religion is really a failure to understand the true essence of religion.

That, I understand, is a fairly orthodox Bahai view. It sure feels compatible with those of the Bahai I knew in person some 15-20 years ago.

It is not something I can approve of, though.

The Baha'i see their "religion" not so much as a separate religion but as a covenant with the manifestation of Bahaullah.

The Islamic origin certainly shows.

tjgillies

That, I understand, is a fairly orthodox Bahai view. It sure feels compatible with those of the Bahai I knew in person some 15-20 years ago.

It is not something I can approve of, though.

The Islamic origin certainly shows.
I'm not asking anyone to accept the covenant of Bahaullah since that is a very personal matter. I'm merely explaining the views of my faith since most people probably don't know what it is :)