• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I do not 'OWN' my wife

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ever since we married, I have hated referring to Marie as 'my wife'; it always sounds - to me - so 'possessive' . I often find, when I refer to her in speech as "Marie, my wife".
How do other forum members feel? Does it bother anyone? and if so, how do you get around it?
:confused:

meogi

Just remember, she probably calls you 'my husband.' It's a mutual ownership thing. And to me, it seems like a silly thing to be bothered by. :D

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
michel said:
Ever since we married, I have hated referring to Marie as 'my wife'; it always sounds - to me - so 'possessive' . I often find, when I refer to her in speech as "Marie, my wife".
How do other forum members feel? Does it bother anyone? and if so, how do you get around it?
"My wife" is perfectly acceptable. Sure beats "my old lady." :eek:

cardero

Citizen Mod
mrscarrdero and I have the same agreement. We may live together but we are not each other's possesions. This fact surprises many people.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
carrdero said:
mrscarrdero and I have the same agreement. We may live together but we are not each other's possesions. This fact surprises many people.
Glad to hear Marie and I are not the only one who thinks this way!:)

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
You don't own me,
I'm not just one of your many toys
You don't own me,
don't say I can't go with other boys

And don't tell me what to do
And don't tell me what to say
And please, when I go out with you
Don't put me on display, 'cause

You don't own me,
don't try to change me in any way
You don't own me,
don't tie me down 'cause I'd never stay

Oh, I don't tell you what to say
I don't tell you what to do
So just let me be myself
That's all I ask of you

I'm young and I love to be young
I'm free and I love to be free
To live my life the way I want
To say and do whatever I please

(Instrumental interlude)

A-a-a-nd don't tell me what to do
Oh-h-h-h don't tell me what to say
And please, when I go out with you
Don't put me on display

I don't tell you what to say
Oh-h-h-h don't tell you what to do
So just let me be myself
That's all I ask of you

I'm young and I love to be young
(FADE)
I'm free and I love to be free
To live my life the way I want

I Am Me

i%20am%20ME.jpg

huajiro

I don't think it as an ownership thing as much as pride....you feel that that person is a part of you.

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
huajiro said:
I don't think it as an ownership thing as much as pride....you feel that that person is a part of you.
I don't mind being called wife or a lot of the times girlfriend. Sometimes I get called his mother, I am not his mommy :149: . carrdero still calls me his girlfriend after 2 years of being married. But it's just a name. It's no big deal with me. I like my nickname...Babebeb. :D

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Words are but a poor reflection of our actions. Don't worry about what you call her, as much as how you treat her. A woman knows when she is "possessed" and when she is "Loved". It doesn't matter how you protest against the former and point out the other. Your actions speak far louder than words ever could hope. Your in-action, however frankly YELLS IT OUTRIGHT. Love you wife not only in word but in thoughtful loving deed, and she will never worry about being a mere possession.

No*s

Captain Obvious
michel said:

I simply look at "my" as a genetive of relation. When I say "my neice" "my nephew," I'm not asserting my ownership of them, but a special relationship to them. I guess we look at the pronoun differently :).

SK2005

Saint in training
I think that it is nice to be called someones. Not by ownership though, like No*s said, just relationship.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
ND has, as usual, put it much better than I could!

I appreciate the feeling behind your thought, though... Maybe, if it worries you, you could substitute "who's husband I am." That's just me playing with language again, though. It tends to get me into trouble. :)

Ceridwen018

This is my theme song, hehe. I believe it is quite applicable. ;)

You and me, we have an opportunity
And we could make it something really cool
But you, you think I'm not that kind of girl
I'm here to tell you baby, I know how to rock your world

Don't think that I'm not strong
I'm the one to take you on
Don't underestimate me boy
I'll make you sorry you were born
You don't know me
The way you really should
You sure misunderstood

Dont' call me baby
You got some nerve, and baby that'll never do
You know I don't belong t o you
It's time you knew I'm not your baby
I belong to me, so
Don't call me baby

Behind my smile is my IQ
I must admit, this does not sit, with the likes of you
You're really sweet
Mmm, you're really nice
But didn't mama ever tell you not to play with fire?