• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I did not have a choice.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
I did not decide to deny any religion. I just don't desire to be religious and
I don't believe in most religious claims. I did not decide to not believe in holy
gods. I just could no longer believein most of the things that were said about
them.

My first question is why is this so hard for some to understand? My second
question is do any of you on RF feel the same way?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Because, for some, their belief is so flimsy, or they're so sure that they're right, that anyone not a believer must be choosing to deny it even though it's so obvious (to them) that their religion/ view is correct

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I don't believe in most religious claims. I did not decide to not believe in holy
them.

My default position was always secular. no one tried to force a religious belief system on me, so there was not much to reject.
also I have to ask, those who have problem understanding this, are they here on this forum, or outside?
if they are outside, I am not sure why so many atheists try to drag the rest of us into these kind of arguments.
most members here, both the secular and the religious do not put too much stress on what others choose to believe. we are pretty liberal and accepting in this regard. so many times I see people come on line and complain to people who have nothing to do with their case.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's hard for me to understand because I know the word 'religious' has a very broad meaning. I have no idea what you, personally, mean by 'religious' and it is doubtfully the same thing that I often mean by 'religious.' By my own standards, it's neigh impossible for someone to NOT be religious. I'll grant there's different degrees of religiosity; some people are less interested in the search for truths and meaning than others, but everybody (excepting the mentally debilitated) does this search. Odds are, though, that if you're on this forum, you're higher on that scale of religiosity. You actively search for truths and meaning to guide your life (or that of others).

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
them.

If you don't believe in any God, I can respect that and I can accept it. I think people have this need for everyone to be like they are, which is the only reason I can think of why it would bother anyone.
Some non-theists have religion, though. There are religions that have no God.

elmarna

You did decide what to believe! You chose to make a stand in your perception of the world.
So it was indeed about choices and you decideing!
While you beliefs are the how you consider and I am sure their are people here to support you in that point of view! Your free will and your ability to consider are what makes you think and respond. EVEN IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO DECIDE -- YOU MADE A CHOICE!!!

jasonwill2

I'm not sure how to answer this, as I believe in choices, but also candidly believe that I was born a Satanist.

I guess people can decide to deny their nature and what they would on a completely honest level see to be true, but it sounds like your saying that you believe what you do because you would be lying to yourself if you believed any different, because it is what you honestly have come to the conclusion of?

Twig pentagram

High Priest
My default position was always secular. no one tried to force a religious belief system on me, so there was not much to reject.
also I have to ask, those who have problem understanding this, are they here on this forum, or outside?
if they are outside, I am not sure why so many atheists try to drag the rest of us into these kind of arguments.
most members here, both the secular and the religious do not put too much stress on what others choose to believe. we are pretty liberal and accepting in this regard. so many times I see people come on line and complain to people who have nothing to do with their case.
My problem (if that's what you want to call it) is with certain people in my life not people on this forum. Secondly I'm not an atheist,
and the reason I bring this up here is not to complain but to gain insight.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I have a hypothesis that I never care or will care to test if true, that your philosophical views and the way you reason are both based on experience and phenomena. As a child I was always interested in the metaphysics, I asked where God came from when I was around 7 or 8.

So it's not really a choice to believe or lack belief, it's just however your brain reasons.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
them.

You didn't chose the answers you found, but you did decide to question the answers you had. :D

Maybe some people aren't so much opposed to your answers as they are disconcerted by the fact that you decided to question theirs.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
I'm not sure how to answer this, as I believe in choices, but also candidly believe that I was born a Satanist.

I guess people can decide to deny their nature and what they would on a completely honest level see to be true, but it sounds like your saying that you believe what you do because you would be lying to yourself if you believed any different, because it is what you honestly have come to the conclusion of?
I'm saying that some people act as if I choose not to share their beliefs.
I don't choose not to believe in certain things I'm just not convinced that
they're true.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
You didn't chose the answers you found, but you did decide to question the answers you had. :D
That is funny.
Maybe some people aren't so much opposed to your answers as they are disconcerted by the fact that you decided to question theirs.
That's my whole point I didn't decide to question their beliefs. I just was'nt
convinced.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I have a hypothesis that I never care or will care to test if true, that your philosophical views and the way you reason are both based on experience and phenomena. As a child I was always interested in the metaphysics, I asked where God came from when I was around 7 or 8.

So it's not really a choice to believe or lack belief, it's just however your brain reasons.

Or that your choice is ultimately influenced by how and what you've been exposed to as well as how your brain reasons

Twig pentagram

High Priest

I think you might be on to something.

jasonwill2

I'm saying that some people act as if I choose not to share their beliefs.
I don't choose not to believe in certain things I'm just not convinced that
they're true.

That's what I was trying to say, and I agree. People believe things because it's honestly what they think is true, not because they "choose". I can't choose to believe in Jesus, at least not honestly. That's why I am a Satanist, because it is what I HONESTLY believe is true, if not at least for me.