• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I did a 3-rune casting, then added 2

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I put this here because I thought it has a lot to do with Asatru.

I printed a chart on glossy photo paper and cut the individual runes. They are like small playing cards.

I shuffled them and pulled 3. I have cheat sheets that have the meanings and interpretations, so I read them this way: hagalaz, a potentially serious disruption in the order of things; eihwaz perseverance, endurance, protection; wunjo correct application of the will, well-being, contentment, hope, expectation. After I got this I pulled two more runes. I drew thurisaz strength, protection, the warrior; and dagaz breakthrough, growth, radical change.

I saw my orthopedic surgeon today. I am having facet joint shots in my neck tomorrow, for herniated disks. My lumbar is a mess, with degenerated disks. I will have the same shots at 3 levels there also, over the course of the next few weeks or months. There is a very good likelihood that I will have surgery on my neck and lumbar in the not distant future. OK, so what does all this mean and what I derive from this?

I think the runes are telling me that yeah, there will be a big disruption. I will be hurtin' fer certain, I will be out of work for a while, depending on how many times and for how long, I could lose my job. But! I can pull through and turn things around, as long as I stay the course and don't give in to despair, worry or lose hope. I think they're telling me, not what the future will be, but what I will make it. Or very possibly I am getting a hint at my wyrd. Or I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. :D

Attachments

• elderfuthark (1).jpg
    elderfuthark (1).jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 47

Sees

Dragonslayer
Yep, I would interpret it very similar to what I replied in your other thread that mentioned what all you had going on - "strong mind/heart and perseverance will see you through it"

Wunjo is always a great rune :)

I think you had/have good luck showing here

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Hope everything turns out well for you.

A suggestion, - find matching small flat (etchable) stones and etch the symbols into them, by hand, or with a Dremel, etc. You might be able to find some at a craft store.

More meaning and power when handmade by you.

I keep mine in a Dark Purple Crown Royal bag with gold tassels. :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Hope everything turns out well for you.

A suggestion, - find matching small flat (etchable) stones and etch the symbols into them, by hand, or with a Dremel, etc. You might be able to find some at a craft store.

More meaning and power when handmade by you.

I keep mine in a Dark Purple Crown Royal bag with gold tassels. :D

Thanks. :)

ooh! you rune too!? (catchy phrase :D).

I really would like to make my own set, because as you said they are more meaningful. I keep telling myself that I don't have the patience or talent, but it is easy enough to get some small wood blanks or stones (even tiles) at the craft store. For wood I'd get a wood burner. I think that would be awesome. I don't think it would take a Michelangelo to carve them, I'm just selling myself short. It's easy enough to pencil the rune on the wood, get it right, then burn it. Moreover, as I was shuffling and handling my set of tarot cards last night (yes, I got a set of them also), the Magician kept appearing. He stands for Mastery, as I read. I think someone is trying to tell me something, ;)

Btw, the tarot set. I really, really like this set...

Attachments

• Easy Tarot.JPG
    Easy Tarot.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 49

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Btw, I realized that the picture of the runes I posted is wrong. They have it as futhork. I'll use a correct one for my own runes.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Now, you've got me really wanting to learn the Runes... ugh... Must. Learn. Tarot. First.

First I'm learning to translate them. I can get a few of them by memory, the others I need my cheat sheet. Translating or transliterating them is the easy part, the meanings and interpretations... ah, that's harder.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
First I'm learning to translate them. I can get a few of them by memory, the others I need my cheat sheet. Translating or transliterating them is the easy part, the meanings and interpretations... ah, that's harder.

That's a fair enough start I am sure. I may print out a sheet or pick up a book on Rune's and their meanings to keep on the back burner. There was one at the store yesterday where I got the book on Odin. Funny, story behind the book, actually, well to me :p.

EDIT: I just realised that there is both Elder and Younger Futhark...

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm totally not Asatrú, but I do use the Anglo-Saxon Futhark for divination. It's one of my favorite oracles to use, but part of that is because of how I went about developing a relationship with them. I do not use the stock interpretation guides, which are a modern invention anyway (along with the use of runes for divination in general, from what I understand). I was taught to spend time meditating on each rune and let them speak for themselves. Through that I came up with a dramatically different interpretation system than you'll see in the books. But because I came to these meanings through meditation, it's much more intuitive to me.

I think that's an important lesson to keep in mind with systems of oracular divination in general. Yes, you can use the meanings prescribed by other people, but you can also develop your own and let the oracle speak for itself.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Runes for divination is at least 2,000 years old. A lot of the meanings derived from the 900-1,200 year old rune poems designed to pass on understanding of them. 1,000 year old sagas from Scandanavia confirm their use in magic and divination as well as artifacts in continental Europe that are even older. Runes and I-ching symbols are basically the legitimately ancient divination tools out of ones popular today.

For me working with them for so long lets me get a quick and deep meaning, reading, etc. simultaneously but always helps to revisit the better books from time to time. I could spend an hour going over a 3 rune reading in person with some drinks present :D

Hate using this site with my phone now...

I'm totally not Asatrú, but I do use the Anglo-Saxon Futhark for divination. It's one of my favorite oracles to use, but part of that is because of how I went about developing a relationship with them. I do not use the stock interpretation guides, which are a modern invention anyway (along with the use of runes for divination in general, from what I understand). I was taught to spend time meditating on each rune and let them speak for themselves. Through that I came up with a dramatically different interpretation system than you'll see in the books. But because I came to these meanings through meditation, it's much more intuitive to me.

I think that's an important lesson to keep in mind with systems of oracular divination in general. Yes, you can use the meanings prescribed by other people, but you can also develop your own and let the oracle speak for itself.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
There is so much to learn, not in a daunting way, but options and developing one's own relationship with the runes, the cards, the gods, and maybe more importantly with oneself. I love learning all this stuff, which is why I think Goddess Saraswati is still around for me. :)