• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I created a logic puzzle while eating a prawn baguette.

Zanuku

Ok so, it's quite easy since it's not so well thought through.

A man has taken somebody hostage in a warehouse. :help:
The hostage is sitting in a pool of water which the villain can electrify at will.
There is a police armed response unit outside the door of the warehouse ready to burst in and save the hostage.
There is also a police sniper watching the scene from another roof.
The sniper can only shoot either the villains gun or the trigger.
The villains trigger is a dead mans hand switch, so if he dies the hostage is electrified and becomes a roast-human.
In the villains other hand is a gun which he will turn on the armed response unit if they try and break in.

Rules:
If the trigger is destroyed the armed response unit will storm the warehouse and the villain will turn his gun on them and kill one or two.
If the gun is destroyed the armed response unit will storm the warehouse and the villain will release his grip on the trigger before they can apprehend him, thus killing the hostage.
The hostage cannot move if he feels his life is threatened.
You need to organize them to apprehend the villain and save the hostage.
No harm can befall any of the police unit or the hostage.
YOU CAN'T TURN OFF THE POWER

Solve.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
You shoot the baddy with a niliczylocane dart which immediately paralyses him in position. You then go in and rescue the guy. :shrug:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Still haven't got it :p
Okay, then how about this one.

It's 10PM and a guy is balanced on a very precarious 45 foot high perch 4 feet long and 4 feet wide. He also has a watermelon, a 5 foot roll of duct tape, four nails, and a 2-foot piece of 2X4.
If he jumps off he will die.
If anyone tries to rescue him he will fall off and die.
If no one tries to rescue him by the end of the day he will fall off and die.
Problem: How do you keep him from dying by the end of the day?

Draka

Wonder Woman
Send up a second sniper to take out both the gun and the trigger at the same time in a coordinated and timed effort. Once both are taken out, send in the arresting officers.

Draka

Wonder Woman

It's 10PM and a guy is balanced on a very precarious 45 foot high perch 4 feet long and 4 feet wide. He also has a watermelon, a 5 foot roll of duct tape, four nails, and a 2-foot piece of 2X4.

Perch attached to what? Just floating in mid-air? He can't just turn around and go back in somewhere? Not to mention the odd things he's carrying. I'd say either tell Jesus or Superman or whoever is having a good laugh by messing with people's heads to knock it off, or call the orderly to come take the patient back inside the looney bin.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ok so, it's quite easy since it's not so well thought through.

A man has taken somebody hostage in a warehouse. :help:
The hostage is sitting in a pool of water which the villain can electrify at will.
There is a police armed response unit outside the door of the warehouse ready to burst in and save the hostage.
There is also a police sniper watching the scene from another roof.
The sniper can only shoot either the villains gun or the trigger.
The villains trigger is a dead mans hand switch, so if he dies the hostage is electrified and becomes a roast-human.
In the villains other hand is a gun which he will turn on the armed response unit if they try and break in.

Rules:
If the trigger is destroyed the armed response unit will storm the warehouse and the villain will turn his gun on them and kill one or two.
If the gun is destroyed the armed response unit will storm the warehouse and the villain will release his grip on the trigger before they can apprehend him, thus killing the hostage.
The hostage cannot move if he feels his life is threatened.
You need to organize them to apprehend the villain and save the hostage.
No harm can befall any of the police unit or the hostage.
YOU CAN'T TURN OFF THE POWER
What would make the hostage feel threatened? That is, currently the rules stipulate the villain will use the gun only on the response unit and only if
1) they try to break in
&
2) the sniper shoots the trigger.

Further, the villain will only use the trigger if the sniper shoots the gun.

Depending upon my organizational powers, I can send the sniper in and the villain can't use the gun (as laid out in the problem, the sniper is distinct from the response unit) or the trigger. I can apprehend the villain with the sniper and make the hostage feel safe to walk out on his own.

So what do you mean by "organize" (that is, what organizational powers do I have) and under what conditions does the hostage feel safe?

Last edited:

Erebus

That one's easy. The guy just uses the nails, watermelon, duct tape and 2x4 to build himself a rudimentary helicopter and flies to safety.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Perch attached to what? Just floating in mid-air? He can't just turn around and go back in somewhere? Not to mention the odd things he's carrying. I'd say either tell Jesus or Superman or whoever is having a good laugh by messing with people's heads to knock it off, or call the orderly to come take the patient back inside the looney bin.
I'm sorry. This kind of precarious perch, only with a 4X4 platform and an accompanying watermelon, a 5 foot roll of duct tape, four nails, and a 2-foot piece of 2X4.
Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by a moderator:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
The hostage sweet talks the villain to get close enough and punches him in the throat with a knuckle..then runs..

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
Define "harm."

Am I not allowed to use flashbangs because blinding and deafening the hostage temporarily constitutes "harm?"

If flashbangs are allowed, then you could use like 30 of them to flash vaporize the water, and thus negating the electrocution whilst simultaneously shooting the gun.

How close is the hostage taker to the hostage?

If the hostage taker is trapped beneath something too heavy for them to move would that make the hostage safe enough to leave "without feeling threatened?" If something heavy were to fall on the hostage taker would it also harm the hostage?

If possible to do without harming the hostage, then you might try blowing the ceiling whilst simultaneously shooting the trigger mechanism.

Is there a sewer entrance beneath the building? Can I use pipes to get beneath either the hostage or the hostage taker?

If there is, and I can get beneath either one, then I could either drain the water with shaped charges or kill the hostage taker (explosively) freeing up one decision or the other regarding gun or trigger.

There are like a hundred different things that one could do if you are willing to be creative and consider the myriad options a situation like this presents. So whatever solution you think you have, it is almost certainly not the only one that would work.

Incidentally, situations like this are often resolved in the straight forward manner of shooting out the hostage takers brain stem paralyzing them completely and preventing even muscle reflexes from happening (most hostage takers aren't sophisticated enough to have triggering mechanisms that are wired into the nervous or pulmonary systems; and if you are, then just why are you taking a hostage where police can get to you in the first place).

MTF