• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the Lord, do all these things

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So God knows BEFORE I make the choice.
Yes, God has known what choice you would make from the beginning of creation.
You are a liar. You claimed that it was my position in post 965:

Trailblazer: God's knowledge does not cause us to do anything.

Tiberius: I NEVER SAID IT DOES. HOW MANY TIMES MUST I TELL YOU THIS?

Trailblazer: THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE SAYING EVERY TIME YOU SAY THAT YOU CAN ONLY DO WHAT GOD KNOWS YOU WILL DO AND YOU HAVE NO CHOICE. I AM SORRY YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND THIS.
I should report you for calling me a liar.
I never denied that I said that BEFORE, but so what? That was yesterday..
I do not CARE what I said at 9:30 PM yesterday. That is in the past.

I did not say that was your position in the post you were responding to, the post you said you reported me for.

What I said today was not about YOU.
I said:
You don't know because you deny reality....
What causes things to happen is human free will choices.

God's perfect foreknowledge of the future has absolutely NO BEARING upon what humans will choose to do.
#1025 Trailblazer, Today at 7:29 PM

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

joelr

No the argument there is that if a God
Ummm .. of course the choice is "set" .. it is a question of what it is set by.

Those that claim we have free-will .. the default accepted position by all, disregarding religious persuasion .. claim it is set by our choices !

What are you claiming it is set by?
No the argument there is that if a God knows the outcome of your choices then it isn't free will.
I don't think we have much free will anyways. We have mundane choices. That is a whole debate among itself.

joelr

And that is where you are wrong.

In John 8:44, Jesus gives us more details, which debunks that premise.
So the whole crux of this argument, a position which many people hold, is inaccurate.

Wait what? I just pointed out that in the OT Satan was an agent of God. Because he WAS.
The first works of Satan were errands for Yahweh:
-In 2 Samuel 24, Yahweh sends the "Angel of Yahweh" to inflict a plague against Israel for three days, killing 70,000 people as punishment

- 1 Chronicles 21:1 repeats this story,[16] but replaces the "Angel of Yahweh" with an entity referred to as "a satan
-In 1 Samuel 16:14–23 Yahweh sends a "troubling spirit" to torment King Saul as a mechanism to ingratiate David with the king.[

Then in Job Yahweh speaks with Satan - "have you considered my servant Job?". Yahweh allows Satan to test Job and serves as prosecutor in Yahwehs trial.
Satan is an agent of Yahweh. He does the dirty work.

During the 2nd Temple Period the Hebrews were influenced by the Persian myths about the devil and God in an eternal war.
So bringing up John (which came way later, after the Hebrews completely assimilated the Greek/Persian myths BACKS UP WHAT I SAID?????????

"During the Second Temple Period, when Jews were living in the Achaemenid Empire, Judaism was heavily influenced by Zoroastrianism, the religion of the Achaemenids.[26][8][27] Jewish conceptions of Satan were impacted by Angra Mainyu,"
"The idea of Satan as an opponent of God and a purely evil figure seems to have taken root in Jewish pseudepigrapha during the Second Temple Period,[30] particularly in the apocalypses"
Satan - Wikipedia
" Historically, the unique features of Zoroastrianism, such as its monotheism,[5] messianism, belief in free will and judgement after death, conception of heaven, hell, angels, and demons, among other concepts, may have influenced other religious and philosophical systems, including the Abrahamic religions "

There is no argument. In the early OT Satan was working with God. After they were occupied by the Persians and Greeks the religion adapted many of the myths of those cultures. The Christian Satan is modeled after Angra Mainyu. Not the agent of God Satan in the OT.

The text in the title doesn’t support that idea, either. It doesn’t say “I created evil.” As if God was the source of its beginning.
It is not written in past tense.

Really, would any intelligent person hire an enemy, to work against Him?
That is an unreasonable assumption.

Yet in the OT Yahweh asks Satan his thoughts on Job. He sends him on errands of evil and uses him to serve as prosecutor. Then, they are occupied by the Persians, and a few centuries later Satan and God at enemies, at eternal war, just like the Persian version?

The rest of your post, #699, though, was interesting. And so was #700.
Taken together, they were almost “TL: dr”, but I did.

That post also explains clearly that Satan was originally an agent of God and later became the Persian version. Bringing up a passage in John further demonstrates this is true. The theology changed through religious syncretism. Of course John will reflect the new theology?

To me, God’s omniscient quality, does not include individuals, as He respects each one’s FreeWill and dignifies their right to privacy.
But He can know, if He chooses, what events will happen and when … one way is that He could maneuver them … but He doesn’t know the individuals who will accomplish those events. He can see what’s in a person’s heart, but that doesn’t mean He knows they’ll follow it. The Ninevites in Jonah are a great example of this.
Jonah is a great example of a complete fictional metaphor even more than most fiction like LOTR. It even has a 3 days and nights motif later used in the resurrection tale. Fish swallowing people for 3 days, a fast growing plant and giant worm, a lost at sea narrative? These stories are meant to teach lessons not take literal.

According to Scripture, another time God read the heart but obviously didn’t know, was the account of Cain. Jehovah knew which path Cain was heading toward… that of sin… but still He tried to reason with Cain, to get him to stop. Jehovah wouldn’t have done that, if Cain were predestined.

There are other situations in Scripture dealing with individuals, where Jehovah did not know.

There have been 3 exceptions to this: Jeremiah, Jesus His Son (of course), and Cyrus the Great. But all 3 carried out His purposes, i.e., “did good deeds.”

Take care.

Because scripture is a collection of stories written by people many views are opposed by opposite views. So while you can find instances where Yahweh cannot see something, in other places he can see everything:
God ... knoweth all things. 1 John 3:20
No thought can be withholden from thee. Job 42:2
For he knoweth the secrets of the heart. Psalm 44:21

Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men. Acts 1:24
Whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there; if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. Psalm 139:7-8

Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the Lord. Do not I fill heaven and earth? Jeremiah 23:24

The eyes of the Lord are in every place. Proverbs 15:3
For mine eyes are upon all their ways: they are not hid from my face, neither is their iniquity hid from mine eyes. Jeremiah 16:17

Modern theologians like Aquinas have not put restrictions on God. Even a simple subject seems to have Christians divided. This is because it's a book written by humans.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Dear Trailblazer, hope you’re well. Please accept this reasoning from me in the friendly spirit it’s given … I don’t mean it in any other way…
Cain and Abel are the first two sons of Adam and Eve after they were expelled from the Garden of Eden in the biblical book of Genesis. According to the biblical story, Cain killed Abel because God accepted Abel's sacrifice but rejected Cain's.
I’m glad you mentioned Abel… I wasn’t even thinking about using this line of evidence to support them being genuine people… so I’m grateful to you: Abel is mentioned in Hebrews 11 among those who exercised faith. The Apostle Paul spoke of him along with King David & others…. Notice Hebrews 11:32-34:
“And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson and Jephthah, about David and Samuel and the prophets, 33 who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions, 34 quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies.” These were people who serve as examples for us & did these things, not allegorical figures.
Examples of fictitious people can’t strengthen our faith, but knowing that real people went through these experiences with God’s help…. that can, immensely.

With this act of jealousy, Cain became the first murderer.

Now it seems you’re speaking of him as a real person, that’s good!

As I see it, the lesson is not to commit murder out of jealousy.

But if that’s the lesson, then the account is not stressing the seriousness of the act: really, isn’t committing murder for any reason, wrong?
If the account is “just” a fiction, then why show that God was trying to change Cain’s mind? If things are as you state, that God knows the choices people will make…. then why put that in there? That only confuses the matter.
IMO, from reading the account and reasoning on it, the Bible is relating an actual event, in which Jehovah God was trying to reach a person’s heart, and get them to change.

It’s always beneficial to meditate on what the Bible is telling us, to use our reasoning skills (critical thinking methods) on its context.

Have a good day, my cousin.

Tiberius

Of course people claiming to be Messengers is not sufficient to show they are Messengers from God.
A claim is not evidence at all.

I believe He has, you believe He hasn't. Where do we go from here, because I know I am not going to change my mind.

My criteria work for me but they don't work for you, so you either use other criteria and try to see if Baha'u'llah meets that criteria or call it a day.

There is no proof that God exists, only evidence. God can never be known except through His Messengers who are Manifestations of God.

“He Who is everlastingly hidden from the eyes of men can never be known except through His Manifestation, and His Manifestation can adduce no greater proof of the truth of His Mission than the proof of His own Person.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 49

All of the Manifestations of God were evidence that God exists.
Their Person, their Life, and their completed Mission is the evidence that shows who they were.

You can't say that they are evidence God exists, all you can say is YOU BELIEVE they are evidence that God exists.

Tiberius

Yes, God has known what choice you would make from the beginning of creation.

I should report you for calling me a liar.
I never denied that I said that BEFORE, but so what? That was yesterday..
I do not CARE what I said at 9:30 PM yesterday. That is in the past.

I did not say that was your position in the post you were responding to, the post you said you reported me for.

What I said today was not about YOU.
I said:
You don't know because you deny reality....
What causes things to happen is human free will choices.

God's perfect foreknowledge of the future has absolutely NO BEARING upon what humans will choose to do.
#1025 Trailblazer, Today at 7:29 PM

I don't care that you said it in the past.

You still said it.

If you said it in the past and now claim that you never said it at all because you have changed your mind on the issue, that is a lie, because the fact you changed your mind does not alter the fact that you still said it.

This is the most outrageous example of you shifting your position to avoid taking responsibility for what you say.

muhammad_isa

No the argument there is that if a God knows the outcome of your choices then it isn't free will.
A pointless argument.
Why not just say that you don't think it is possible to know the future?
There must be a reason why one would make such arguments that wouldn't stand up in a court of law.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
A pointless argument.
There must be a reason why one would make such arguments that wouldn't stand up in a court of law.

I don't know why you keep saying that wouldn't stand up in court. Neither side of the argument would stand up in court.

joelr

A pointless argument.

Because that could still include free will. In that argument posted if a God knows the outcome of choices you have no free will.

Well ask yourself? You are arguing for a theistic God that sent an angel to give messages to people about how other religions are wrong, non-believers and such get a painful doom, hell awaits and all sorts of other supernatural happenings. And you believe people should treat it as if a God actually showed up and did that. Even though there is no evidence of any God, or angels, no evidence people couldn't write this doctrine, no knowledge man couldn't have known in the revelations and every other religion claims a God showed up and did the same thing for them. No one having proof, each saying the other is wrong yet convinced they are correct?

And you are asking me about arguments that don't stand up?

muhammad_isa

I don't know why you keep saying that wouldn't stand up in court. Neither side of the argument would stand up in court.
The believer is not making the assertion that free-will and omniscience are not compatible.

1. The believer is saying that we have free-will.
2. The believer is saying that God knows what we will choose of our own free-will.

It's as simple as that. One cannot prove that the above is irrational.
It is down to belief. The belief whether God is able to know.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
The believer is not making the assertion that free-will and omniscience are not compatible.

1. The believer is saying that we have free-will.
2. The believer is saying that God knows what we will choose of our own free-will.

It's as simple as that. One cannot prove that the above is irrational.

I believe that's what I said

muhammad_isa

Because that could still include free will. In that argument posted if a God knows the outcome of choices you have no free will.
You intuitively think that .. but your conclusion is wrong.
The believer is saying that God knows the choice that you will make of your own free-will.

..and then people come along and claim that we have no free-will.
Hmm. all very silly. :D

Even though there is no evidence of any God, or angels, no evidence people couldn't write this doctrine..
Your incompatible argument does not require any gods.
The claim is that a deterministic future precludes free-will.

joelr

Examples of fictitious people can’t strengthen our faith, but knowing that real people went through these experiences with God’s help…. that can, immensely.

You are demonstrably wrong.

Billions of people in Hinduism and in Islam have their faith strengthened in many ways by characters in their religion who you admit are fiction. Hindu feel Krishna speak to them emotionally and that he loves them. There are countless examples of characters in religious text inspiring faith into members, yet the religions are not yours and the characters are not real.
So fiction can strengthen the faith of people.

joelr

You intuitively think that .. but your conclusion is wrong.
The believer is saying that God knows the choice that you will make of your own free-will.

..and then people come along and claim that we have no free-will.
Hmm. all very silly. :D

Yes I gave you a link to an essay that dives into it deeper. If your future is known then you have no free will. If you choose to study the philosophy of free will then you may become educated. You choose to ignore it and just make a claim that is nonsense. Ok? Knowledge is not for everyone?

Your incompatible argument does not require any gods.
The claim is that a deterministic future precludes free-will.

Right, religions do not require Gods. Just people and unfounded beliefs.

If determinism were true we would not have free will. Indeterminism governs the universe so we have some sense of free will.
Special Gods that are above indeterminism somehow is adding another layer on the weirdness? If you want to propose a deity that knows everything that will happen then the universe is deterministic (except it isn't, quantum mechanics shows us it's indeterminist). To say "oh but God isn't" is just another claim that cannot be shown. Layers of beliefs that have no evidence?

muhammad_isa

If determinism were true we would not have free will.
It depends what you mean by "determinism".
The future HAS to be determined by something.

The past is determined by our choices.
..and I say that the future is as well.

After all, the future becomes the past.