• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am thoroughly disgusted with Sean Connery

Moni_Gail

ELIGE MAGISTRUM
So, this evening I was watching Barbara Walter's bloopers. Did any of you catch it? She had a clip of her 1987 interview with Sean Connery. In this clip he was saying that it is more than acceptable to 'slap a woman around'. I went in search of the dialogue in the hopes of posting it here. While searching, I found a printed interview he did for Playboy much ealier. I am appalled and disgusted. He shows a clear disdain for women, and that's putting it lightly.

November 1965

PLAYBOY: How do you feel about roughing up a woman, as Bond sometimes has to do?
CONNERY: I don't think there is anything particularly wrong about hitting a woman--although I don't recommend doing it in the same way that you'd hit a man. An openhanded slap is justified--if all other alternatives fail and there has been plenty of warning. If a woman is a *****, or hysterical, or bloody-minded continually, then I'd do it. I think a man has to be slightly advanced, ahead of the woman. I really do--by virtue of the way a man is built, if nothing else. But I wouldn't call myself sadistic. I think one of the appeals that Bond has for women, however, is that he is decisive, cruel even. By their nature women aren't decisive--"Shall I wear this? Shall I wear that?"--and along comes a man who is absolutely sure of everything and he's a godsend. And, of course, Bond is never in love with a girl and that helps. He always does what he wants, and women like that. It explains why so many women are crazy about men who don't give a rap for them.
PLAYBOY: Do you think it's OK to tell a woman you love her in order to get her into bed?
CONNERY: You can say something, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is so. I think before words came along there was always physical contact and physical satisfaction. There may be things said afterward just as there are things said before. But the action came first--then the word.
From Wikipedia:

Accusations of Abuse
  • In her autobiography My Nine Lives and subsequent interviews on radio and in print The Scotsman Diane Cilento claimed that Connery had beaten her on several occasions, which Connery vehemently denied.
  • He caused an uproar in a December 1987 interview with Barbara Walters in which he said it was okay for a man to slap a woman with limited force, assuming that it was required to calm her down or "keep her in line." Connery had made similar remarks in a November 1965 interview with Playboy magazine on the set of Thunderball.
  • In Vanity Fair in 1993 he said: "There are women who take it to the wire. That's what they are looking for, the ultimate confrontation. They want a smack."

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Oh dear! How horrible! I can hardly imagine a man in today's world (referring to the '87 interview) would say such a thing and not expect all hell to break loose. I'm quite surprised really. I didn't know he felt that way. Tis not good.

PureX

Veteran Member
But he has a point. There ARE women who really like that sort of man. And in fact, a lot of women idolize Sean Connery, and the "James Bond" (Mr. Dangerous) types.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
Are you saying that because a woman may be attracted to a (handsome / charismatic / whatever) strong - type of man, she probably digs getting slapped around?

Please don't go there. It's called sexism and only serves to embolden and legitimize misogyny.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
I never knew he was like that. He should meet some big boned, weight lifting body builder woman who can beat the crap out of his stupid behind if he thinks it's a turn on. BTW magazines like Playboy are so demeaning to women (I'm not blaming men alone, the women must be blamed too). I have never wanted a man who is abusive. My body is God's gift to me, not someone's blasted punching bag. Very good thread! It's good to let people know about this because there are people who look up to him not knowing what he's really like.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I don't know if anyone has pointed this out.

These comments are over 20 years old. People change.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
beckysoup61 said:
I don't know if anyone has pointed this out.

These comments are over 20 years old. People change.
One can only hope! Those comments are... I'm not even sure what word should be used for them.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Jensa said:
One can only hope! Those comments are... I'm not even sure what word should be used for them.

I defintley agree, but if you think about it. Those comments were in 1965 when it was still slightly "allowed" by the general consensus of men to do those things.

If it happened yesterday, thenyes, it might be more upsetting, but I'm not going to allow something that happened BEFORE i was born change my mind on how I view him.

Every other intereview, etc., that I have seen he's said nothing of the sort. Besides, that was also during the he James Bond, and if anyones seen the James Bond movies, women aren't highly valued in the movies unless the men want sex.

gnomon

Either this is a thread of someone's idol being devalued or a new form of character assassination.

Perhaps someone should give ol' Sean a call and let him know this discussion is going on about him.

Bishka

Veteran Member
gnomon said:
Either this is a thread of someone's idol being devalued or a new form of character assassination.

Perhaps someone should give ol' Sean a call and let him know this discussion is going on about him.

Perhaps. :cool:

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
hate to say this but if it was a woman who had said that nobody would bat an eyelid, i think what he is saying has been taken out of context, i'd be damned if i'd let a woman lay into me without retaliation and thats coming from somebody who has witnessed domestic violence first hand and has a hell of alot of respect for women, some women seem to think that they can push a guy as far as they want and get away with it because they are a 'poor, defenceless' woman which isn't always the case.
And if anybody was being unreasonably histerical man or woman and there was no other alternative then if i felt it nesacery i'd probably give them a slap, i think to much is being read into what he has said!

Moni_Gail

ELIGE MAGISTRUM
gnomon said:

I just saw the video clip of this last evening. I recommend doing a search. Trust me, it's not difficult to find.

Becky, I don't care what time period it's in. It still shows a man's character. I find that to be disgusting and there's absolutely no excuse for it.

Moni_Gail

ELIGE MAGISTRUM
darkpenguin said:
hate to say this but if it was a woman who had said that nobody would bat an eyelid, i think what he is saying has been taken out of context, i'd be damned if i'd let a woman lay into me without retaliation and thats coming from somebody who has witnessed domestic violence first hand and has a hell of alot of respect for women, some women seem to think that they can push a guy as far as they want and get away with it because they are a 'poor, defenceless' woman which isn't always the case.
And if anybody was being unreasonably histerical man or woman and there was no other alternative then if i felt it nesacery i'd probably give them a slap, i think to much is being read into what he has said!

He wasn't talking about defending himself. He clearly said that if a woman is being a b*tch or hysterical.

I'm more than a little appalled at those who would defend this mentality. Also, his ex wife's book and reports of severe physical abuse. I read a small exerpt from it, the first time it happened she came in a little typsy and he knocked her around. She ended up locking herself in the bathroom. He then acted as though nothing had happened.

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
i'm not defending wife beaters nor would i ever but i do feel that what he said is being twisted way out of context as most interviews are, as for his ex wife i don't know about that so i'm not going to comment on it!

gnomon

Moni_Gail said:
He wasn't talking about defending himself. He clearly said that if a woman is being a b*tch or hysterical.

I'm more than a little appalled at those who would defend this mentality. Also, his ex wife's book and reports of severe physical abuse. I read a small exerpt from it, the first time it happened she came in a little typsy and he knocked her around. She ended up locking herself in the bathroom. He then acted as though nothing had happened.

I don't think anyone is defending the actions of abuse.

Faint

darkpenguin said:
I agree with this. Sean specifies an open handed slap. Sometimes people do get out of line, and a little agression may be necessary. Slapping a woman should always be a last resort, and done with restraint. This is not abuse, it's more like, "Hey! Come to your senses!" (unless she doesn't have your money of course).

Anyway, I say "sometimes" but there are usually better alternatives. The best is just walking away from a situation. I've known plenty of women who act up or take an arguement to it's extreme...it's so much better to just accept the gender-based emotional chaos for what it is and just walk out of the dorm room, leaving her alone to deal with it and then ignoring her 20+ text messages. The only situation where slapping can be justified is if she's physically attacking you...and even then it's better to just restrain her.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
darkpenguin said:
hate to say this but if it was a woman who had said that nobody would bat an eyelid
I would.

I don't condone violence against anyone, except in self-defense.