• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am sceptical of the Skeptics. Is it wrong?

Aquitaine

I SAID, I WOULD BECOME A CHRISTIAN IF one able to provide a proof that Christianity is a true religion. I don't care the way they provide the proof either from scripture or any something else . Yes I was born a Muslim.
So you were born a Muslim, why am I not surprised. . . . .

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Many claim atheism is the default position that we are born with - and I think this is true in a sense, young children do not question the origins of everything they see, but accept it 'just is'
i.e. in this sense, our belief in God is a position founded on skepticism, sooner or later most become skeptical of the belief that blind chance is an adequate explanation for the world we see around us.

I've never met somebody who was an atheist as a child and then decided to start believing in God as an adult.

Rick O'Shez

That the "one true religion" in your opinion just happens to be the one you were born into. In other words, your faith is a product of your upbringing, nothing more.

I think people with a strong conviction that theirs is the only true religion are potentially quite dangerous.

Aquitaine

anyone who think their religions are true just because they born into it then it is the weak reason in defending the religion.
Yet that is what you are doing here. The same list of reasons you gave earlier for believing in Islam could be used by countless other people saying the same thing about their religion.
Or is it just an amazing coincidence that you believe Islam is the "one true religion" after having an Islamic upbringing?

How much have you studied other faiths to come to the conclusion that they are all wrong, but your's is correct?
Also, do you realize that "the religion is true because its scripture says so" is circular logic?

Rick O'Shez

How much have you studied other faiths to come to the conclusion that they are all wrong, but your's is correct?

I think one would actually have to practice in other faiths to come to any valid conclusions on this kind of question.

Aquitaine

Indeed. I just find it odd how there are some people who say others are being "blind" or "lazy" for not accepting their religion, yet will claim that every other religion but theirs is false. :shrug:

Rick O'Shez

Indeed. I just find it odd how there are some people who say others are being "blind" or "lazy" for not accepting their religion, yet will claim that every other religion but theirs is false. :shrug:

I suspect such crude sectarianism is often based on a willfull ignorance of the wider world and other religious traditions.

use_your_brain

Yet that is what you are doing here. The same list of reasons you gave earlier for believing in Islam could be used by countless other people saying the same thing about their religion.
Or is it just an amazing coincidence that you believe Islam is the "one true religion" after having an Islamic upbringing?

Also, do you realize that "the religion is true because its scripture says so" is circular logic?
Did I say that my religion is true because I was born into it?
Which religions should I study?
Which scriptures outside Islam state that their religions are true? I had never found in Torah states that Judaism is the true religion.
nor in the Bible that says Christianity is the true one, nor in Hindu's, Buddhis's and so on.

Aquitaine

Did I say that my religion is true because I was born into it?
Which religions should I study?
Which scriptures outside Islam state that their religions are true? I had never found in Torah states that Judaism is the true religion.
nor in the Bible that says Christianity is the true one, nor in Hindu's, Buddhis's and so on.

Errr..... practically all of them state as such. Out of curiosity, is the primary criteria for you judging a religion as "true" based off whether or not its scripture says so? If that's the case then you should be believing pretty much every religion as true, including Scientology.