• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am sceptical of the Skeptics. Is it wrong?

Laika

Premium Member
Being Skeptical of Skepticism can lead to nihilism as your left wondering if anything is true. An excessive reliance on reason can be self-destructive. Its not wrong really, but it isn't healthy. you end up stretching the capacity of reason and logic to their limits. it can be a useful exercise for letting go of illusions though. kind of "zen" when you realise words are letter and sounds without any intrinsic meaning- only what we associate them with.

The Colour of this word is RED!

But then Why is Red, Red? Or maybe it's not? maybe its something else entirely. maybe colour is something all in our minds and its not real at all?

oh no! I'm colour-blind! :eek:

Kelly of the Phoenix

Skepticism is healthy, though I feel there's a difference between skepticism and just acting like others are wrong, despite mounds of evidence to the contrary. I mean, I dislike fundamentalism, but every once in a blue moon, they'll say something accurate, so I have to give props. To me, it's not so much who says it as it is whether that person is right.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Being skeptical of skeptics may simply mean being skeptical (skepticism being an attitude towards claims as opposed to people, after all) or it may be something else, perhaps an appeal for supernaturalism or, in some contexts, climate change denial or creationism.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I am sceptical of the Skeptics

I have heard this phrase before quite a bit (and have said it myself) in regards to the group of sceptics popular in the media (Randi, Schumer, CSICOP - Skeptical Investigation Committee, et al).

Skepticism is valid process and one we should all follow when investigating claims. The Skeptics I am skeptical of are those who I feel are not interested in truly objective consideration but are really just no-holds-barred defenders of an atheist-materialist worldview. These are the Skeptics I feel we should be skeptical of. And true skeptics will agree we should be skeptical of even self-proclaimed skeptics.

amorphous_constellation

The Skeptics I am skeptical of are those who I feel are not interested in truly objective consideration but are really just no-holds-barred defenders of an atheist-materialist worldview. These are the Skeptics I feel we should be skeptical of. And true skeptics will agree we should be skeptical of even self-proclaimed skeptics.

I think then you have to change your strategy maybe. Why view them as skeptics? Skepticism as we understand it in modernity is pretty much just a method. No one really believes in a method. If you debate them on the basis of what they believe, that might be more effective.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Why view them as skeptics?
Well they are the group discussed in the media (and many on RF) as the go-to people to speak against any evidence that points to so-called paranormal things (Randi and CSICOP, et al). They misrepresent themselves as 'Skeptics' and I am just trying to set the record straight.

Skepticism as we understand it in modernity is pretty much just a method. No one really believes in a method.
This is true. But the pseudo-skeptics have hijacked the term to mean disbelief in anything of the so-called paranormal. That is the understanding that I am arguing against.

If you debate them on the basis of what they believe, that might be more effective.
That is something I do all the time.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Is it wrong?

Not if makes you happy and doesn't cause you any problems. It doesn't harm anyone else, so nothing wrong with it at all.

Follow whatever path makes sense to you.
beliefs are not insular and effect society at large.