• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am no longer a Sikh

Treks

I understand the frustration here. I can only suggest looking past this sort of thing as not reflecting on the religion itself but the, perhaps somewhat inevitable, cultural aspects that will surround worship in many faiths.

I suppose so. Which is why I'm not identifying with the community anymore, but rather quite content going my own way about it. Other Sikhs say that makes me a 'manmukh' or self-oriented, but I'm too sure about the alternative.

I mean Western in a specific sense, I suppose. Plotinus, Aquinas, Eckhart, these men were Western. Western isn't entirely to be equated with a narrow rationalism and empiricism. I did, though, see you use the term WOO in one of the threads here, This is pseudo-sceptical, New Atheist jargon. This isn't, surely, the sort of no-nonsense position of Sikhism. There is much New Age and superstitious nonsense around, but there is a parallel pseudo-sceptical, materialist nonsense as well. Deepak Chopra and Dickie Dawkins are two sides of the same coin.

I'd need to see the thread to explain why I used that term. Usually I use it when describing something pseudo-scientific, or when people are stretching for the mystical when it doesn't really apply.

But surely what matters is the spiritual. I don't think Sikhs want to blow the equality horn in quite the same way as the some today might. Certainly, the recognition of equality is important for Sikhism, but Sikhism is a religion, with eternal, spiritual priorities after all. I am not even sure it is a part of Sikh to remove all cultural and social hierarchy, as opposed to spiritual hierarchy.

On a spiritual level, Sikhi is egalitarian. You won't find discrimination in the Guru Granth Sahib. The mainstream Sikh Code of Conduct is also quite egalitarian; however, the Sikh 'ruling' authority doesn't enforce its own code in the spirit of said code.

Sikhi made a big deal about social equality - removing the caste system (which is still very much present in Punjabi Sikh communities), sitting equally on the floor during langar, etc.

This seems like superstition to me. I can understand you voicing your opposition. If it these sorts of incidents were recurrent in the Gurdwara I would understand leaving it, perhaps. But these sorts of failings are human. Why leave Sikhism entirely?

Because my leaving was due to a combination of factors.

On a spiritual level I've found that no other religion makes as much philosophical sense and speaks to my spirit like Sikhi does. So I suppose I could be described as 'Sikh at heart'. But I'm done trying to be a part of it. I'm happy to lurk on the fringe.

Jeremy Taylor

I

On a spiritual level, Sikhi is egalitarian. You won't find discrimination in the Guru Granth Sahib. The mainstream Sikh Code of Conduct is also quite egalitarian; however, the Sikh 'ruling' authority doesn't enforce its own code in the spirit of said code.

Sikhi made a big deal about social equality - removing the caste system (which is still very much present in Punjabi Sikh communities), sitting equally on the floor during langar, etc.
What I meant more was that Sikhism is still a religion, not an ideology. It has egalitarian ideals, but it isn't there to set the world to right per se. It is there to set the soul to rights.

Because my leaving was due to a combination of factors.

On a spiritual level I've found that no other religion makes as much philosophical sense and speaks to my spirit like Sikhi does. So I suppose I could be described as 'Sikh at heart'. But I'm done trying to be a part of it. I'm happy to lurk on the fringe.
Interesting. I'm can see why you are attracted to Sikhism.

W3bcrowf3r

After 13 years of study and many years of practice, I am no longer a Sikh, or even "Kind-of Sikh-ish".
Here's why:
  • While Sikhi has beautiful poetry, it's circular definitions drive me crazy. It seems to be a case of Hukam is Shabad is Guru is Naam is Shabad is Hukam is Guru. The definitions are not obvious.
  • The leadership in Amritsar seems to be more concerned with politics than with problems, or actually, like, guiding the Sikh community in any way, shape or form.
    • For example, women still don't get the opportunity to sing in Harmandir Sahib - why?
  • The Dasam Granth contains a whole massive chapter on the sexual wiles of women, and yet Sikhs are supposed to recite songs from this book every day, and in fact one daily poem is from this chapter (which is at the end, and not related to the sexual material).
  • White people are expected to abandon their own culture and become as Punjabi as possible.
  • Anti-Western sentiment comes out frequently.
  • Despite its great foundation in rationality, an element of supernaturalism is creeping in, with things such as the "tenth door", the "technology of hair", ritualism around anything written in the sacred script, and ritualistic activities in the Gurdwara like air conditioners for the comfort of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji (scripture).
The good bits of Sikhi aren't unique to Sikhi. I don't need to sacrifice my cultural identity to be a good person. I don't need to spend hours and hours mulling over poetry which utilizes terminology that does not seem to be adequately defined, to be a good person.

Some people do find their peace in Sikhi. More power to them. Sadly, it's just not where I belong anymore.

I have enjoyed the food though. :)

I have studied Islam, Christianity and Judaism. I believe in the Quran, Gospel and Tora.
But the people and what they claim to do and follow in the name of God is just wicked. You wont ever find a perfect religion or group of people.
So do not disappoint yourself, and be happy with a good husband and good kids, that's more then enough that you can ask in this world.

I am now doing research about the Vedas and Hinduism. And the Guru as well.

I was a former Salafi, they are the most Orthodox form of 'Islam' but i found out that they contradict the Quran. I saw the same pattern in 'Christianity' and 'Judaism'. That's when i learned to stop being part of a religion or denomination. I believe in all Holy Books on earth, as many as possible. I read the Quran, Psalms, Gospel, Tora etc. but i do not call myself a Muslim, Christian or Jewish etc.
These Books teach to become a good person. Nobody can buy a ticket to Heaven, and most people think they can and that's the problem.

W3bcrowf3r

Hukam is the cosmic law.

Practising the Shabad means implementing Gurbani teachings in your life, i.e. the basic virtues, cutting off the vices, defending opressed, etc etc. In my opinion practising the Shabad is more virtuous than reciting it, because if you don't practise it, it becomes the mumbling that other religions do, simply reciting while continue doing misdeeds.

Like the Gospel of Christ teaches is that Faith without works is Death!