• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am doing a worldview final that is to interview people about their worldview.

EWPIII

How do you believe the earth was created?

Do you believe there is a God?

Why do bad things happen to good people?

What happens to humans after they die?

How do we know right from wrong?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
1. Brick. Hi I attended a Christian school, too. We used PACES and then Abeka. Christian schooling is unnecessary, and you can't choose for your kids once they get to 5th or 6th grade. By then its up to them. You also can't protect your kids from ideas once they get that old. One thing Christian school did for me was taught me to recite the books of the Bible in order plus some scripture verses, but beyond that it was not an advantage.
2. Liberal Christianity which believes the spirit goes where it wills, just like the wind. Because of that I recognize that other Christians are Christians even if undereducated, snake handling, dancing naked around podiums etc. So, I include as Christians a broad variety of cults and even students from Christian schools, too. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up etc. I loathe endless sermons day after day and week after week, but I think reading the Bible once through and listening to some instruction is quite good so long as we learn it. At the same time people shouldn't be paying ministers to pump us up. They are like steroids, giving us big boobs. I think we should be unified but not by a podium.
3. The creation of the physical planet is irrelevant to faith. Creation has to do with the creation of ministries and of people. Hence the light is created before the Sun and so forth.
4. Yes but I recognize God to be conceptual, not derived, omnipresent, no respector of persons and non-physical, just like I believe a Christian should believe God to be.
5. Good people also happen to bad things, so its fair.
6. Physically we remain stuck in the past, however that which we have invested in Christ lives on in Christ. Those who are in sin are dead even though they live.
7. Our ability to choose right and wrong is what sets us apart from the animals. Its an intelligent power, but its not pure logic which would destroy us all probably. Therefore it can't be described within a few lines.

Nimos

I assume, you mean if the earth were created by a God?
If that is what you mean, then no.

There might be a creator of the universe, which might be referred to as a God for lack of better word. But nothing like what we have been presented by through human history. Which mean an intervening Gods, that you can pray to.
To me its more likely to be a condition rather than a God. So in short, No I don't believe in a God.

I don't believe in good and evil in that sense. Therefore defining what a good person is, is almost impossible or irrevante. Because how much "good" does it take to make up for "evil"?

If a person rapes a girl, he would be considered evil, at least by most people. But if that person then save five children from a burning house, is that person then good again? Or how many things does he have to do to become good?

Besides that, history shows that "evil" have been done in pretty much any form you can imagine, whether that is human sacrifice or killing elderly people because they are to slow, babies that are born with wrong hair color getting killed. Cannibalism etc. However this is not perceive as "evil" by those doing it, so evil is subjective to the person and culture you live in.

We decompose or turn into ashes depending on method of bury. But said in a more poetic ways, we return to the stars from which we were created :)

As with good and evil, these are subjective. Something might not be seen as wrong in certain cultures. For instant you can find numerous example of this around the world even today.
I do however believe that we are born with some natural instincts as a result of evolution that helps define these for us as part of our instinct to survive. Not a lot different than from what you find in other animals, why don't wilder beasts kick an older one so it stumbles and get eaten instead of themselves? Or why don't wolves just eat their cubs when hungry?

Due to the human brain, these processes are more complex than those of animals and can develop based on which environment and culture we are raised and live in.

Daemon Sophic

Here’s the answers I gave your classmate(s).
Welcome to the forum @porter phillips

So, you are trying to determine our own world view/philosophy /religion based upon answers to your questions?

Of course in many of our cases, it is made too easy for you, since, like myself, our outlook is posted under our name, or in our signature. :p
But I’ll play along.....

"porter phillips, post: 6103391, member: 66553"]
  1. How do you believe the earth was created? Gravity.

2. Do you believe there is a God? Not necessarily.

3. Why do bad things happen to good people? Bad people, bad timing, and/or bad “luck”. Plus lack of planning on the part of most people.

4. What happens to humans after they die? I’m assuming here that you are asking about their consciousness/spirit/mind/etc..., and not the rotting corpse. Answer: Dunno. Nobody does.
  5. How do we know right from wrong? Good parenting, and an inborn sense of fairness.
[/QUOTE]

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Accretion of dust, this is quite well understood.

No

Because

Their atoms continue, possibly to help build other human beings, i .this way we are all made of dead people.

Morality.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't care how the earth was created, as it is not relevant to the here and now of my life. As far as I'm concerned, Gaea has simply always been here.

I do not "believe" there are gods. I believe that gods are that which a person or culture deems worthy of worship. The things I deem worthy of worship are so self-evident and obvious that to say I "believe" in them doesn't really make sense.

Better question - why do humans project value judgements like "bad" and "good" onto reality when things simply are what they are? "Bad" things happen to "good" people because some human decided to label the thing as "bad" and the person as "good." Nothing more, nothing less.

Ideally, they rot and are recycled into the land, sea, and sky. Unfortunately, many humans engage in cultural practices that disrupt this natural cycle.

We don't. We can only know what some individual values and whether or not something is or isn't consistent with said values.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

I don't care how the earth was created, as it is not relevant to the here and now of my life. As far as I'm concerned, Gaea has simply always been here.

I do not "believe" there are gods. I believe that gods are that which a person or culture deems worthy of worship. The things I deem worthy of worship are so self-evident and obvious that to say I "believe" in them doesn't really make sense.

Better question - why do humans project value judgements like "bad" and "good" onto reality when things simply are what they are? "Bad" things happen to "good" people because some human decided to label the thing as "bad" and the person as "good." Nothing more, nothing less.

Ideally, they rot and are recycled into the land, sea, and sky. Unfortunately, many humans engage in cultural practices that disrupt this natural cycle.

We don't. We can only know what some individual values and whether or not something is or isn't consistent with said values.
You and I have tangled on this before.
But I just don't see your beliefs and world view as religious.
They are altogether toooooo reasonable.
Tom

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Those same questions were asked already.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You and I have tangled on this before.
But I just don't see your beliefs and world view as religious.
They are altogether toooooo reasonable.
Tom

Which is pretty normal once you get outside of the so-called "religious mainstream." One of these days, more and more folks will realize that religion doesn't equate to dogmatic institutions. What really gets me is that it doesn't even equate to that within the religious demographics so often faulted for having those characteristics Oh well.

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't think the how, matters. I think the real question is 'why'.
I don't know if there is a "God", or even what a "God" would entail. But I do choose to believe that a "God" of my own understanding does exist, because I find that my experience of life is better for it.
Lots of things happen to everyone. What I label "bad" or "good" is relative to my own very limited understanding of existence. And the same goes for everyone else. So the truth is that none of us really know what's bad or good beyond our own way of thinking.
The physical matter is redistributed into other things. The unique energy ... no one knows.
We don't. We each must choose for ourselves how we define our moral imperatives. I choose love, forgiveness, kindness, generosity, and compassion.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Which is pretty normal once you get outside of the so-called "religious mainstream." One of these days, more and more folks will realize that religion doesn't equate to dogmatic institutions. What really gets me is that it doesn't even equate to that within the religious demographics so often faulted for having those characteristics Oh well.
Sorry.
I live in southern Indiana, also known as fundamentalist Christian society. And I am a gay, long married, non-theist.
It's the religious world I live in. And I am stuck with leaders like Governor Mike Pence, "Christian, conservative, and Republican in that order".
Pence spent years opposing marriage. I took that a little personally. To me, that's religion. Forcing people to do things your way, because "God said...". Even when He didn't.

You are not what I mean by theist. Your world view is not what I mean by religion.
You are too sensible and rational to be a theist, in my opinion.
Tom