• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am curious as to how you explain . . .

musicman17

How does an atheist explain the existence of matter? I have never heard someone explain this first-hand.

Without a "first mover" of some sort, how does anything exist. I look around be and see the decay of matter. Matter is not eternal, it must have had an origin. So how would an atheist explain this dilemma?

:confused:

Runt

Quantum physics has the answer. Yes, matter can be created and destroyed, but that which matter is composed of-- energy-- is infinite. It can neither be created nor destroyed, only changed from form to form; therefore no God created it. So, in truth, you shouldn't be looking at matter and asking "Who created it", but looking at energy and wondering how energy "becomes" matter.

In a vaccuum there is still energy, even though it is supposed to be a space lacking in energy or matter. Out of this energy particles continually emerge and disappear, more so if additional energy is added. So what does this tell you? That matter is essentially a great quantity of energy (which explains why the atom, when split, releases so much energy).

musicman17

I am not very well versed in quantum physics so I want to make sure that I am understanding you completely. Are you saying that matter is eternal, or rather that it has always existed?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I'm not an Atheist, but I think sometimes it's OK to say, "I don't know" to questions that we really have no way of knowing. We can make guesses and theories, or look to religion and mythology to explain things we don't understand. But sometimes those explanation don't make sense. So, "I don't know"... and that's OK. :)

Runt

I am not very well versed in quantum physics so I want to make sure that I am understanding you completely. Are you saying that matter is eternal, or rather that it has always existed?
Neither. I am saying that ENERGY is eternal, and matter is a finite FORMATION of energy.

i.e. <------------(energy)---------(brief formation of matter)------------(energy)------------->

Runt

Yup.

The First Law of Thermodynamics states: "Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only changed from form to form."

Allan

Energy and Matter appear together, A pattern or geometry is layed out and everything appears.

When a person uses true faith they are connecting with the manifestor and sustainer of everything.
The above is my understanding.

Some work is being done on Star Trek type teleporting of matter. The scientist discussing it said they have positive results but anything that it could be used for in its simplest form is 30 years away.
The matter doesn't travel and the particle appears faster than the speed of light could travel once the pattern is the same as the disappearing particle.
It is as though a new object is replacing the old one in a far off position.

Allan

I have thought about this and it was part of the insight I had and that is the planet as it moves is continually being created in its new position.

There is an inertial type of effect where the energy field and gravity is slightly out of center with the mass at the point of manifestation so it is propelled along. Light playing a part keeping the propulsion effect prescribing the arc around the sun.

Master Vigil said:
So god is energy. Taoism!! Wow, with the right terms, all thoughts can become one.
That depends on your definition of "god". If "god" is an intelligent being, then no, energy is not god.