• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am back

Maija

Namaste - Vanakkam- Namashkar

I am back on RF, back and ready to learn and read more in the Hindu DIR.
Some of you might remember me, to others I may be a new name..

I guess I had a moment where I felt I was seeking for so long, but the more I sought to take in, the more questions I had and the less I felt I knew. In the end I felt I should return to my roots, this didn't last long.

It reminds me a bit of this saying:

“Only two kinds of people can attain self-knowledge: those who are not encumbered at all with learning, that is to say, whose minds are not over-crowded with thoughts borrowed from others; and those who, after studying all the scriptures and sciences, have come to realize that they know nothing.”
― Ramakrishna, Sayings of Sri Ramakrishna

So, perhaps that saying is not accurate, but for me it became a truth, the underlined part. Granted, I was doing way too much reading of too many sorts of texts, now I would like to go back and focus on only texts pertaining to SD, like the Rig Veda and I know a certain person who speaks highly of the Tirukkural :) .. Perhaps a good translation of these will be recommended.

I've read a few copies of the Gita and in highschool sections of the Upanishads and I enjoyed them all.

Why I came back:

Without talking negatively about any previously explored faiths, I felt like they no longer for lack of a better word, filled me in the same way (think water on a hot day)- not only that there were aspects that I could not come into agreement with. If one wishes, I can go into this in private PMs, but I do not wish what could be construed as negatively about a faith that has worked for others.

I also found it really difficulty to focus on a path of my past without my mind wanting to remember my sweet Svayam Bhagavan, my heart naturally wanting to sing songs to Him. In the end I felt, why am I fighting this?

I only wanted to feel that closeness to Hari that I felt before. In the past months- I felt like I was living in a world of halal/haram or permissible/prohibited but was not as happy. This is not a fault of the religion, but I think more of a symptom that this path was not for me.

It is with happines and humility that I come back to this section in the RF.

Much love and warmth!
Om Namo Narayanaya

:rainbow1:

(I hope this post does not offend or aggravate anyone :eek: )

Maija

Namaste,

Can you really "come back"? Weren't you here all along?

M.V.

That's a good question, I just didn't realize it. I've been looking for myself all over but not within. This is a good start!

Hi, happy to see you around again!

Time to catch up, illy! Us seekers have ups and downs, huh? In truth it's all up, but downs for me are the questions without answers.

Hello and welcome back.

Thanks, Odion and StarryNight for the welcome :)

:meditate:

Vinayaka- I'm going to check out that link later on tonight when I have my quiet time..

Jain-ji, I look forward to your posts always very introspective and filled with things I didn't know. :bounce:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Namaste,

"Where" were you, beforehand? Just asking. You don't have to answer it. Praised be Lord Shri Vishnu.

M.V.

EDIT: Have you thought about having a Shuddhikarana conducted or any other purification ritual for your re-initiation? Just a thought, no biggie, bro.

Last edited:

Maija

मैत्रावरुणिः;3432169 said:
Namaste,

"Where" were you, beforehand? Just asking. You don't have to answer it. Praised be Lord Shri Vishnu.

M.V.

EDIT: Have you thought about having a Shuddhikarana conducted or any other purification ritual for your re-initiation? Just a thought, no biggie, bro.

Namaste,

I never thought of that, but it's a good idea...another reason I would love a temple near by. How does one perform a shuddhikarana, friend?

Where was I?

In a vulnerable place without answers.

Maybe others here have experience uncertainty in life, fear and vulnerability. There is a 'certainty' in which some Abrahamic religions can guarantee you salvation. While some people believe that there are many paths to God-many don't and when you are in fear you want certainty not probability.

Now I am not running away anymore from my love for Sri Krishna Govinda. In a way, I'm coming out, knowing that God would never lead me astray.

I don't believe that God would guide any heart who sought Him to a place He did not desire that person to be.

Me Myself, Hare Krishna, Hare Rama.

:p

Your sister,
Maija

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Namaste, Maija-ben:

I never thought of that, but it's a good idea...another reason I would love a temple near by. How does one perform a shuddhikarana, friend?

Shuddhikarana is an initiatory ritual; it doesn't really "validate" anyone's conversion, since conversion isn't a rudimentary, authentic concept within the many schools of Hinduism. But, it is purificatory and that is why I brought it up. A nearby temple and priests within that temple could probably help you out.

But, no worries. You are far from a temple nearby in your vicinity. Furthermore, it isn't a priority. It seems that you are currently exploring Vaishnavism and you may not be staying fulling, for other paths may arise that may answer your questions in a better manner. Therefore, there is no pressure from me and I doubt that there is any from other Hindus regarding your Hindu-ness. I hope Vaishnavism can answer your questions in the manner that you desire.

Maybe others here have experience uncertainty in life, fear and vulnerability. There is a 'certainty' in which some Abrahamic religions can guarantee you salvation. While some people believe that there are many paths to God-many don't and when you are in fear you want certainty not probability.

My opinion wouldn't matter. Do what feels right for you. This is your own journey after all. But, I, and I am sure others as well, are here to provide our insights and experiences from our own Hindu sects (Shākhā-s). The only real advice I can give you, is to let go all of your past Abrahamic influences. Everything. All of it. And, arise from that cloudy, misty past into a completely different universe.

Me Myself, Hare Krishna, Hare Rama.

Jai Shri Ram. Jai Shri Krishna.

Your sister,
Maija

Please forgive me, Maija-ben. I have a horrible habit of not looking at the right part of the screen where there are signs for one's gender. I seem to be doing this mistake a lot. I hope you can pardon my infringement.

Your Bhrātā/Bhrātri/Anuj (brother),
M.V.

Maija

Namaste, friend !

Shuddhikarana is an initiatory ritual; it doesn't really "validate" anyone's conversion, since conversion isn't a rudimentary, authentic concept within the many schools of Hinduism. But, it is purificatory and that is why I brought it up. A nearby temple and priests within that temple could probably help you out.

I could certainly always use purification. In the mean time I hope to do some deep meditation and then yoga (I've been eating far too well today :sarcastic )

It seems that you are currently exploring Vaishnavism and you may not be staying fulling, for other paths may arise that may answer your questions in a better manner. Therefore, there is no pressure from me and I doubt that there is any from other Hindus regarding your Hindu-ness. I hope Vaishnavism can answer your questions in the manner that you desire

About Vaishnavism, certainly there are many aspects that seem a natural fit. The Trimurati certainly makes sense from a Catholic aspect (childhood) and also very consistent with my upbringing are japa malas (rosary and Islamic prayer beads).

Bhajans make me cry when I'm alone, I feel like I'm pouring my heart out in the most natural way. I was never a good "prayer," my mother (first guru! :) always told me that you should never get into the habit of advising God..it stuck. Mantras, especially the mahamantra has been stuck in my head on and off for probably about a year.

These are all currently things that appeal to me. I do need to become more knowledgeable and so off to Barnes and Noble (online) I go for a copy of the Upanishads.

My opinion wouldn't matter. Do what feels right for you. This is your own journey after all. But, I, and I am sure others as well, are here to provide our insights and experiences from our own Hindu sects (Shākhā-s). The only real advice I can give you, is to let go all of your past Abrahamic influences. Everything. All of it. And, arise from that cloudy, misty past into a completely different universe.

I look forward to the support, the good conversations and positive nature here. I leave you all with much of my warmth tonight. You are all so kind and full of gentle words.

Please forgive me, Maija-ben. I have a horrible habit of not looking at the right part of the screen where there are signs for one's gender. I seem to be doing this mistake a lot. I hope you can pardon my infringement.

No harm.
:p

M.V.[/QUOTE]

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram maija ji :namaste

Namaste - Vanakkam- Namashkar

I am back on RF, back and ready to learn and read more in the Hindu DIR.
Some of you might remember me, to others I may be a new name..

good to see your return :)

Why I came back:

Without talking negatively about any previously explored faiths, ...

dear maija , no need to worry if by trying other paths you then find your true path then these explorations have been worthwhile .

I also found it really diff
iculty to focus on a path of my past without my mind wanting to remember my sweet Svayam Bhagavan, my heart naturally wanting to sing songs to Him. In the end I felt, why am I fighting this?

Ah ha , ..they do not call him 'All Atractive ' for nothing :)

I only wanted to feel that closeness to Hari that I felt before. In the past months- I felt like I was living in a world of halal/haram or permissible/prohibited but was not as happy. This is not a fault of the religion, but I think more of a symptom that this path was not for me.

It is with happines and humility that I come back to this section in the RF.

Much love and warmth!
Om Namo Narayanaya

(I hope this post does not offend or aggravate anyone )
no need to feel that this might cause offence I am sure we are all only happy :namaste

I have a small gita verse for you to remember ......sri krsna is saying , ....

'' those who worship Me with exclusive devotion, meditating on My transcendental form '', '' to them I carry what they lack, and I preserve what they have.''
ch 9 ...v 22 .

so here krsna is saying do not worry , simply'' worship me'' , ''meditate upon me'' , he is saying that all one need do is rely upon him with love and faith , and here he is promicing that he will be your support and your refuge , he will preserve and increase your faith .

some times I think we can all think that we need to work too hard learning texts , performing rituals and being the kind of hindu that we are seeing when we observe others , but in this chapter krsna is saying, what ever you do simply ''do it as an offering unto me'', then he is saying he will protect and nurture you .

so sweet , so amazing :) ..... so you can just take your time , meditate upon the lord that is all he requires :namaste

ah then there is my favorite verse , ...

''Being freed from attatchment fear and anger , being fully absorbed in me , taking refuge in me , many persons in the past became purified by knowledge of me , and thus they atained trancendental love for me '' ch 4 ...v 10 :namaste

so also there is no need to seek purification , just meditate , with out presure , let krsna carry you :namaste

with best wishes sister ji

मैत्रावरुणिः;3432877 said:
Namaste, Maija-ben:
....I have a horrible habit of not looking at the right part of the screen where there are signs for one's gender. I seem to be doing this mistake a lot...
M.V.

Get your peripheral vision checked, bro:D

Dear Maija
I will recommend (hate the word though) that you "get hold" of Hanuman. After all we dont want to keep making lines in the sand, throughout our lives. Hanuman makes one Hindu. It is a simple fact, though no one tells out this!

Some say Hanuman is Rudra, but then he contains Vishnu's narasimha within himself, some say Hanuman is this or that. Hanuman is Hinduism.

One can start her journey with the rock solid support of Hanuman, but when the journey is finally complete, in this life or other, one finds Hanuman only. The journey is not of salvation, but of immortality. No guaranties, no comforts, no assurances here, on this journey, beware:)

p.s.: A Hindu may belong to any sect, but his faith in Hanuman is a constant. In RgVeda (IMO) his equivalent is AsviniKumar, and also Murugan down south.

pranam

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Get your peripheral vision checked, bro:D

Dear Maija
I will recommend (hate the word though) that you "get hold" of Hanuman. After all we dont want to keep making lines in the sand, throughout our lives. Hanuman makes one Hindu. It is a simple fact, though no one tells out this!

Some say Hanuman is Rudra, but then he contains Vishnu's narasimha within himself, some say Hanuman is this or that. Hanuman is Hinduism.

One can start her journey with the rock solid support of Hanuman, but when the journey is finally complete, in this life or other, one finds Hanuman only. The journey is not of salvation, but of immortality. No guaranties, no comforts, no assurances here, on this journey, beware:)

p.s.: A Hindu may belong to any sect, but his faith in Hanuman is a constant. In RgVeda (IMO) his equivalent is AsviniKumar, and also Murugan down south.

pranam

Namaste,

Bajrang Bali Ki Jai!

M.V.