• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am a SJW

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
This definition really piles it on, but you'll get the idea.....
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=social justice warrior

I'd say it's someone who advocates for their own brand of social justice,
but does so in a dysfunctional over-the-top way.

I'm told (didn't know myself) that it stands for social justice warrior. It's an online community term.

GROUP HUG!

Ehhm...

I see. Word by word meaning, it sounds like a compliment to me. Oh well, the West never ceases to amaze me!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
GROUP HUG!

Ehhm...

I see. Word by word meaning, it sounds like a compliment to me. Oh well, the West never ceases to amaze me!
Idioms work that way, ie, the literal meaning of the individual words don't apply when arranged together.
Examples: "jungle bunny", "red neck", "tree hugger", "rain maker", "getting to first base"
In all languages, idioms can be difficult to recognize & interpret.

Arabic must have them too.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Idioms work that way, ie, the literal meaning of the individual words don't apply when arranged together.
Examples: "jungle bunny", "red neck", "tree hugger", "rain maker", "getting to first base"
In all languages, idioms can be difficult to recognize & interpret.

Arabic must have them too.

Yes, we have idiots too.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
GROUP HUG!

Ehhm...

In essence, it SHOULD be. But the people who throw it out there couldn't be more insulting when they say it.

We western folks are pretty weird ourselves. We behead folks behind closed doors instead of in a public square. Strange, no? ;)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Pretty much, yes. Mandi was saying that the games aren't sexist at all, and I just pointed out that they do have sexist stereotypes in them which isn't some secret. Pretty much every stereotype is in those games, which is kinda the point.

I don't know if they necessarily use sexist stereotypes all that often, though.
In San Andreas you have Catalina, who is very........"passionate." She loves CJ but is very much a violent crazy person, much like every single other character in the game who helps CJ.
CJ's sister, Kendl isn't a bad representation either and I'm not entirely sure what stereotype she's supposed to be. A 90s girl? She's no ghetto hood rat, nor is she a stereotypical black woman. She's intelligent, independent, strong willed, feisty, doesn't take any ****, has leadership qualities and is talented at running a business. She pretty much makes CJ financially successful in the later parts of the game and runs his chop shop. Though she's not above leaning on her brother's violent tendencies to protect her honor when she is hurt.
I suppose you kidnap that lady in IV. But even she is no push over and fights you tooth and nail all the way. You have Roman's girlfriend and Elizabeta, who are not really sexist stereotypes. Maybe race stereotypes?
V pretty much uses all the stereotypes in can possibly cram in. All the while mocking them through various dialogue. And even then, the closest sexist portrayal is probably Micheal's daughter. But even that is more "spoilt brat princess."
Then Franklin's ex, who is the catalyst for his step up in crime in order to impress her. She's no stereotype. She's clearly intelligent, values loyalty (she tells Frank to save his best friend) and is strong willed.

As for strippers and hookers, the game doesn't encourage you to visit strip clubs in order to have sex. You can do that if you desire, but where I live you actually can literally do that (we have legal brothels.) So really, isn't the franchise as sexist as one wants it to be? I mean ultimately? It probably leans on racist stereotypes more than sexist ones. At least the later ones. I can't remember Vice or Liberty City Stories very well though.

Last edited: