• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I am a good parent . . . . "

Good parent or not?

• Good parent

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Bad parent

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Knucklehead

Votes: 17 73.9%

• Total voters

Skwim

Veteran Member
screen-shot-2012-06-12-at-10-15-39-pm.png

So, good parent or not?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
He's good for buying him a lot of stuff, but for trying to "make him choose straight" he's bad... I chose knucklehead

Rakhel

Yosi and I have voted...knucklehead. Idiot would work, too. But then so would "manipulated fool."

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I wish I could have chosen both knucklehead and bad parent.

He's a knucklehead for thinking his son has a "problem" simply because he's gay.

He's a bad parent for not only refusing to accept his son for who he is but also for trying to bribe the kid into pretending to be something he's not.

On top of that this allows for an easy avenue for the kid to manipulate his parents: "What you're not going to buy me a new car even though my old one works just fine? well then maybe I'll just 'go back to being gay' again"

It's parents like this that make me think every person who is, wants to be, or is about to become a parent should be legally required to take classes in parenting and in child, adolescent, and teen psychology so that it's less likely for children to be forcibly saddled with morons like this. ugh.

/rant

Me Myself

Back to my username
I really want to believe he is just playing with people with that story, but I know that humans can truly be that idiotic and I cry POE.

Without that option, knucklehead sufficed.

cablescavenger

So, good parent or not?

To me the mans views on homosexuality or whether his son should be homosexual are irrelevant since it is just opinion, and his son I am sure will not change his own opinion, but will enjoy the free computer :)
In that sense the parent is probably not the brightest.

The real crime is one of trust. I think taking sensitive issues that belong to family and friends and then discussing it with others is a betrayal of trust, discussing it on the internet with strangers is just stupidity.

There is an old saying "Never wash your dirty linen in public". No good comes of it.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
This parent is more than a knucklehead, in my opinion - this is terrible parenting, period. All the way around.

On top of all the other obvious things that others have pointed out, they are publicly ridiculing their son. That jumped out at me as probably the most offensive part of the whole picture.

Keep your stupid family drama off Craigslist. Damn. And turn off the all that reality TV you're obviously watching while you're at it.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I went looking for it on craigslist and couldn't find it.

Skwim, did you find it on craigslist yourself or did you come across just the pic?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

Skwim, did you find it on craigslist yourself or did you come across just the pic?
It may have expired or been removed. Did you try Snopes?

Skwim

Veteran Member

I came across it on a news source, but it looks like the ad has been pulled.

ScreenShot032.jpg

But HERE is an original source.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I don't think anyone has enough information on this guy to make a fair assessment as to whether or not he is, overall, a "good" or "bad" parent.

Further, you don't know whether or not this is fact or fiction - as you're pulling this from the web. We can only draw assumptions from what we're provided with. These are my assumptions and opinions based upon what's provided in that short snippet of a listing...

His problems with his son's sexuality are unfortunate, but, he hasn't revealed why he feels this way and that's important. A therapist would need to uncover WHY he feels the way he does. Therapy is the ideal option for both Dad and son. Son shouldn't be "changed" or be made to feel like he should change to adapt to his father's struggles with acceptance of homosexuality.

I don't feel comfortable labeling Dad as a BAD parent. He seems like a person that needs help and direction dealing with the issue, if he wants for his son to flourish and he wants to have a healthy, positive relationship with his son.

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't think anyone has enough information on this guy to make a fair assessment as to whether or not he is, overall, a "good" or "bad" parent.

His problems with his son's sexuality is unfortunate, but, no one knows where he's coming from in terms of having issues with this. The family needs therapy. Son shouldn't be "changed" or be made to feel like he should change to adapt to his father's struggles with acceptance of homosexuality.

This certainly isn't uncommon and it doesn't make Dad a BAD person. It makes Dad a person that needs help and direction dealing with the issue, if he wants for his son to flourish and he wants to have a healthy, positive relationship with his son.
Maybe he is a good person, but he's still a bad parent for a) trying to bribe his son with shiny toys, and b) being dumb enough to let sonny boy run roughshod over him with the bribery.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Maybe he is a good person, but he's still a bad parent for a) trying to bribe his son with shiny toys, and b) being dumb enough to let sonny boy run roughshod over him with the bribery.

Though I'm inclined to agree with you on points a & b, I have to acknowledge my own discomfort in labeling a man that I don't know, a bad parent, without a full understanding of his character and how he's parented his child throughout the years.

Naturally, my first impressions have mirrored those of most on this thread. If there's truth to what he's posted, there are problems that I can't relate to as a parent and I would sincerely hope for the emotional health of all involved, that therapy is sought.

Again - we're not given but so much to go on. "Bad parent" is a very strong label. I'd be deeply hurt if someone labeled me a bad parent, knowing so little about me.

On the other hand, I wouldn't dream of posting something so asinine on craigslist.

Last edited: