• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I abandoned jesus, nomore trinity, and here's how it happened

Super Universe

Defender of God
do i detect suspicions of intent?
come on... this is his journey....he's allowed to go on one, isn't he?

Does anyone do anything without intent?

If a man is angry because his digital map device failed him and has stranded him in a strange place, should I not help him find his way if I can?

We all need assistance at times. Whether we use it or disregard it is up to the individual.

Xchristian

...no more of the jesus you thought you knew of...

in the famous debate between prof. Ehrman and Dr. Evans, in the dialogue part, I think I can find you it if you want. Evans asks prof Ehrman this questin:
if new discoveries come up with the originals, would you then believe?
the answer was definitely yes.

(same here) ... a god who took the trouble to put all those books together and can't even find a proper unified translation for each language, or keep its originals (he did with the Pharaohs you know?) so people can check out the faith, or even make us comprehend the trinity, or at the very least answer the famous question:
[Mk 8:27][ 27 ... , saying unto them, Who do men say that I am?]
a question that divided the church into more dominations than Jesus had hot meals in his whole life, what is the answer?
one nature? two nature?
one will? two wills?
nestoros? athnasius?
the end of Mark from Mark 16:9 onwards .. of the book? or not?
the woman who was caught in the act in John, how about that?
1John5:7 .. part of? not part of?
which one is apocrypha? and which is not?
how did they choose those 27 books? ...

The jesus I know? ... come on .. there's only ONE jesus. (but we don't know him)

Xchristian

Anyone patiently waiting for the "you just had a bad childhood" argument? Anyone? :shrug:

:angel2:

had plenty of that, they all suggested a monk was the reason
(please don't ask for any details, it's well known in all churches what happens with deprived men and children) but however I have been so lucky, I always went with dad to the church and when confessing, I had my dad waiting outside, just in case.

Xchristian

Does anyone do anything without intent?

If a man is angry because his digital map device failed him and has stranded him in a strange place, should I not help him find his way if I can?

We all need assistance at times. Whether we use it or disregard it is up to the individual.

I appreciate your help and I told you, you were partly right, so no grudges there.

Super Universe

Defender of God
I do employ plenty of statistics for my PhD now, would you like to put 5 euro on a statistic that says more than 50% of the new testament is miracles (only)
Actually, Dr Ehrman says there was a source called the signs source underlying the gospel of john.
Actually, John said:
[Jn 21:25][ 25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books that should be written.]

It seems he was fed up with making up miracles, he said I have zillion more, but I have not got enough ink or server-space to tell you about them!

Can I wager 13,000 Italian lire instead?

There were many other things which Jesus did, the OT left out His entire life before He began His mission but they were mostly very human, without many miracles.

Jesus was raised in a typical Jewish home. He played with the other kids. He attended Jewish school as required of all boys of the time. He helped around the home and helped His human father with his woodworking business. Jesus also spent time with other relatives where He learned to fish. Jesus became the head of the family and business when his human father was killed in a workplace accident.

I could tell you more but I guess you find statistics to be more interesting.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Mr. Xchristian,

I'm somewhat familiar with Mr. Ehrman and his school of thought and I basically agree with what he says. The development of Christianity had many problems. Jesus is left then as a mis-quoted mystery. I applaud your decision to leave the fundamental, conservative Christian school of thought.

At this point you feel liberated to have left this school of thought. However at this point you are just pointing out what you DON'T believe and why. Some day you will ask, as we all do, what DO I believe about our existance. And then you might want to consider Liberal Christianity, Eastern thought (Hinduism/Buddhism; there's been a lot of wise spiritual masters in India (IMO)), etc....These are philosophies not subject to the criticisms Mr. Ehrman raises about evangelical Christianity.

I am curious about your miracle talk in the Coptic tradition. Do you believe paranormal things have occured in the tradition? (I'm not asking how these should be interpreted or how they should effect our beliefs. I'm just asking if the physically paranormal occurs in Coptic tradition in your opinion.)

Thanks,

Xchristian

Jesus was raised in a typical Jewish home. He played with the other kids. He attended Jewish school as required of all boys of the time. He helped around the home and helped His human father with his woodworking business. Jesus also spent time with other relatives where He learned to fish. Jesus became the head of the family and business when his human father was killed in a workplace accident.

I sincerely hope I am not being sarcastic, and if you feel that I am, then I apologise in advance.
what you quoted sir is from the gospel according to "Super Universe".

I told you before, in order to understand jesus you have to make up a new gospel, prof Ehrman said it, and I now believe in this guy. In Ehrman I trust!

it's impossible to know jesus, ... (should answer this)

Originally Posted by waitasec
...no more of the jesus you thought you knew of...)

a good christian has to make a jesus who learnt at school (he created the teacher, mind you? and before the teacher, Jesus was) but yet he had to learn to fish.

as for:

Jesus became the head of the family and business when his human father was killed in a workplace accident.

[Lk 8:2][ 2 and certain women which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary that was called Magdalene, from whom seven devils had gone out,]
[Lk 8:3][ 3 and Joanna the wife of Chuza Herod’s steward, and Susanna, and many others, which ministered unto them of their substance.]

I thought he was dependent on women for his expenses according to Luke, however now I learnt he was a businessman in this new gospel!

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Signs and wonders are played up big in the Bible. Creation in six days? Who cares? A world-wide flood? I don't care one way or the other. The sun standing still? A walking stick turning into a snake? I don't care because every religion has its miracles. What is important to me is how religion can and does change a person's life. But what do you do when your religion stops making sense?
I'd love my religion to have a guy like Jesus. "Believe in me and I'll do the rest. Just follow these simple rules." How come those rules and believing are so complicated? It's not easy to reconcile Christianity with anything. I've read several books by Jews on what they believe. The devil, original sin, personal salvation, even hell weren't in the index. Where did these ideas come from?
I'm in this empty place between wanting to believe, but not buying into any one religion. I do have a hole in my heart that needs to be filled, but I'm not going to fill my brain with religious concepts that don't make sense. Christianity is great and feels great and I know people can come up with almost reasonable explanations on why it's true. Like you, I can't force myself to believe anymore.
I've read several of Bart Erhman's books. Another good book is by John Loftus. He has this thing he calls the outsider test of faith. It's has to do with how a person from one religion can easily point out the flaws in the religion of somebody else. But, what happens when you take an honest look at your own? If you take off the blinders, you can see those same type of flaws in your own.
My life has been more of an insider test. I joined different religious groups and tried to believe in them the best I could. They all worked while I was believing and all quit working once I started doubting. I think there is a greater truth we're heading for, at least I hope so, and that we are all part of discovering what that truth is.

al-amiyr

hello all,

I am ever so glad to have found this forum, I am the son of an Egyptian coptic priest, having been born in a family which is extremely christian, I have been learning about religion more than I learnt about mathematics, which is a shame really, but it happened.

the Egyptian coptic church is most concerned with miracles, everything is miracles, exorcism, people flying, saints appearning on top of churches .. load of that ...

I went to some country in Europe, only the admins call tell where that is at the moment, and I hope they keep it a secret for my safety's sake.

I have been trying to stay in the bosom of jesus of nazareth all my life, till I sat watching a debate between distinguished professor Bart Ehrman and a pastor called Craig Evans, it's on youtube, you can find it there.

the first time around I just watched a bit of Ehrman, my nerves couldn't stand watching the guy turning my beloved jesus into shreds, and the whole of Evans' rebuttal and every word he said.

It was too much on my nerves, oh Jesus, please do something ...

then I watched another of a bloke called Licona against Bart Ehrman, same again, no Ehrman, just Licona.

then I went to Egypt and visited a monastery in the desert, and sat with a learnt monk, I showed him the film on my laptop, he couldn't bear hearing even the bits Mr Ehrman had to say, and said this is evil, this is satan, this is blasphemy, and threatened to tell my dad, so I left the monastery, told myself leave that out.

As I came back here, I disconnected my internet, just in case Mr Ehrman jumps into my browser, ... that's safer.

I had a couple of agnostic friends, I told them I am moving to another city.

Having buried my head in the sand for 3 months now, I kept looking in the newspapers, no news about lightening striking North Carolina and hitting Mr Ehrman.
No news about Mr Ehrman suffering lebrosy or any uncurable diseases.

Actually it's the other way around, it's the pope of Alexandria that contracted Herbes and died a very painful death.

I thought that's it, I will make prayers myself so we get rid of this person, that didn't work either.

so I opened the book and restored internet, checked what Mr Ehrman had to say, and tried to reconcile it, and had a lot of hope from a contributer on this forum, but still what Mr Ehrman says is exactly spot on.

I actually now can come up with new theories, I can prove that Satan is god from the new testament, I can prove St Judas the Escariot is god, it's so distorted you can make it say whatever you want just twist a few words here and there.

So, I am decided now, NO MORE JESUS, no more lies, let's face it, Mr Ehrman destroyed christianity beyond repair.

Dear Xchristian I think it was most unfortunate for you to have done what you have done. Why did you not first look into removing all the false things that have been said and done in the name of Jesus (the distinguished (D+) in this world and the world to come). I think that you have made a grave error which you are also going to come to regret very greatly. I still do think that you have not fully denied. Look at things from another angle.

Xchristian

Mr Ananda
I hope you are well, and thank you ever so much for your comment.
I am extremely busy doing my PhD at the moment, I would like to put a couple of hours a day in meditation and knowledge seeking to learn about the subcontinental faith(s), however I am not too sure if you have been in the shoes of a middle-eastern person trying to engage in a conversation with a person from India, Pakistan or Bangladesh, are you aware of how protective they are and how they don't welcome people into their faith?
I don't see a problem learning about sikh or hindu or even Islam but it will take time, as I am heavily involved now in putting the score right with my studies first.

I am curious about your miracle talk in the Coptic tradition. Do you believe paranormal things have occured in the tradition? (I'm not asking how these should be interpreted or how they should effect our beliefs. I'm just asking if the physically paranormal occurs in Coptic tradition in your opinion.)

I think the paranormal is a concept one resorts to when the 'normal' don't work.
there's enough 'normal' in this world to convince anyone of great things.
what's the point making up miracles or even performing miracles if real life is more tasteful and easy and more enjoyable?

loverOfTruth

hello all,

I am ever so glad to have found this forum, I am the son of an Egyptian coptic priest, having been born in a family which is extremely christian, I have been learning about religion more than I learnt about mathematics, which is a shame really, but it happened.

the Egyptian coptic church is most concerned with miracles, everything is miracles, exorcism, people flying, saints appearning on top of churches .. load of that ...

I went to some country in Europe, only the admins call tell where that is at the moment, and I hope they keep it a secret for my safety's sake.

I have been trying to stay in the bosom of jesus of nazareth all my life, till I sat watching a debate between distinguished professor Bart Ehrman and a pastor called Craig Evans, it's on youtube, you can find it there.

the first time around I just watched a bit of Ehrman, my nerves couldn't stand watching the guy turning my beloved jesus into shreds, and the whole of Evans' rebuttal and every word he said.

then I watched another of a bloke called Licona against Bart Ehrman, same again, no Ehrman, just Licona.

then I went to Egypt and visited a monastery in the desert, and sat with a learnt monk, I showed him the film on my laptop, he couldn't bear hearing even the bits Mr Ehrman had to say, and said this is evil, this is satan, this is blasphemy, and threatened to tell my dad, so I left the monastery, told myself leave that out.

As I came back here, I disconnected my internet, just in case Mr Ehrman jumps into my browser, ... that's safer.

Having buried my head in the sand for 3 months now, I kept looking in the newspapers, no news about lightening striking North Carolina and hitting Mr Ehrman.

Actually it's the other way around, it's the pope of Alexandria that contracted Herbes and died a very painful death.

I thought that's it, I will make prayers myself so we get rid of this person, that didn't work either.

so I opened the book and restored internet, checked what Mr Ehrman had to say, and tried to reconcile it, and had a lot of hope from a contributer on this forum, but still what Mr Ehrman says is exactly spot on.

I actually now can come up with new theories, I can prove that Satan is god from the new testament, I can prove St Judas the Escariot is god, it's so distorted you can make it say whatever you want just twist a few words here and there.

So, I am decided now, NO MORE JESUS, no more lies, let's face it, Mr Ehrman destroyed christianity beyond repair.

In my opinion, Bart Ehrman basically dissected the information from the Bible itself and showed the contradictions and inconsistencies which many other Christian scholars know and admit but refuse to reject and further come up with more convoluted reasons to accept it as what it is. That's why common Christians never find out about it. The fact is that the Qur'an stated it all (of course without going into the level of details) 1500 years back ...

Note that Muslims don't reject Jesus(pbuh) rather reject the authenticity of the modern day Bible.

The Quran confirms Jesus(PBUH)'s virgin birth (a chapter of the Quran is entitled 'Mary'), and Mary is considered the purest woman in all creation. We also believe that during his prophetic mission Jesus (PBUH) performed many miracles. But we don't believe him to be the Son of God and Muslims don't focus on the physical miracles as much as some Christians do.

This is what the Qur'an says about Jesus(PBUH) :
"The similitude of Jesus before Allah(God) is as that of Adam; He created him from dust, then said to him: "Be". And he was." (Al-Qur'an 3:59 )

"O People of the Book(Jews & Christians)! Commit no excesses in your religion: Nor say of GOD aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) a messenger of GOD, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in GOD and His messengers. Say
not "Trinity" : desist: it will be better for you: for god is one GOD:
Glory be to Him: (far exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belong
all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah(God) as a
Disposer of affairs. " (Al-Qur'an 4:171 )

"And behold! GOD will say: "O Jesus the son of Mary! Didst thou say unto men, worship me and my mother as gods in derogation of GOD'?" He will say: "Glory to Thee! never could I say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, thou wouldst indeed have known it. Thou knowest what is in my heart, Thou I know not what is in Thine. For Thou knowest in full all that is hidden.
Never said I to them aught except what Thou didst command me to say, to wit, 'worship GOD, my Lord and your Lord'; and I was a witness over them whilst I dwelt amongst them; when Thou didst take me up Thou wast the Watcher over them, and Thou art a witness to all things. " (Al-Qur'an 5.116-117)

"And because of their saying, `We killed Messiah Jesus, son of Mary,
the Messenger of God'- but they killed him not, nor crucified him,
but the resemblance of Jesus was put over another man (and they
killed that man), and those who differ therein are full of doubts.
They have no knowledge, they follow nothing but conjecture. For
surely they killed him not (Jesus, son of Mary). But God raised him
(Jesus) up unto Himself. And God is ever All-Powerful, All-Wise"
(Al Quran 4:157-158).

"So woe to those who write the "scripture" with their own hands, then say, "This is from Allah ," in order to exchange it for a small price. Woe to them for what their hands have written and woe to them for what they earn." (Al Qur'an 2:79)

Finally, that is why it says in the Qur'an : "Do they not consider the Qur'an (with care)? Had it been from other Than Allah(God), they would surely have found therein Much discrepancy." (Qur'an 4:82)
That is the ultimate litmus test, if the book is from God, it shouldn't have any discrepancies.

Peace.

Xchristian

Dear Xchristian I think it was most unfortunate for you to have done what you have done. Why did you not first look into removing all the false things that have been said and done in the name of Jesus (the distinguished (D+) in this world and the world to come). I think that you have made a grave error which you are also going to come to regret very greatly. I still do think that you have not fully denied. Look at things from another angle.

I appreciate your contribution, thank you ever so much.
I am working currently on a project to reconstruct the historical jesus, perhaps he was a good Jewish faith healer that was promoted upwards somehow.
The Telmud doesn't help much, Islam is a no-go area for me, but will try exploring it, perhaps there was a good person behind all this.

al-amiyr

I appreciate your contribution, thank you ever so much.
I am working currently on a project to reconstruct the historical jesus, perhaps he was a good Jewish faith healer that was promoted upwards somehow.
The Telmud doesn't help much, Islam is a no-go area for me, but will try exploring it, perhaps there was a good person behind all this.
That is what I consider a sign of intelligence. I believe in all the Books. Have studied all of them but the peoples became divided over it and then everything became confused. That is why the world is in a state of confusion if if they do not want to admit it.

Super Universe

Defender of God
I sincerely hope I am not being sarcastic, and if you feel that I am, then I apologise in advance.
what you quoted sir is from the gospel according to "Super Universe".

I told you before, in order to understand jesus you have to make up a new gospel, prof Ehrman said it, and I now believe in this guy. In Ehrman I trust!

it's impossible to know jesus, ... (should answer this)

a good christian has to make a jesus who learnt at school (he created the teacher, mind you? and before the teacher, Jesus was) but yet he had to learn to fish.

as for:

[Lk 8:2][ 2 and certain women which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary that was called Magdalene, from whom seven devils had gone out,]
[Lk 8:3][ 3 and Joanna the wife of Chuza Herod’s steward, and Susanna, and many others, which ministered unto them of their substance.]

I thought he was dependent on women for his expenses according to Luke, however now I learnt he was a businessman in this new gospel!

What I quoted is something I made up? Actually it's from the Urantia Book, published in the 1950's. Explains Jesus from before birth, birth, childhood, on His mission, and even after.

The problem is that you think you are farther along in Jesus theory than the rest of us. All the time you spent studying two thousand year old ideas took you backwards, now you have to catch up.

You thought Jesus was dependant on Herod's business manager; Susanna for income? What it says is that Jesus took His twelves disciples, along with some women, and among the women was Susanna; and many others who were contributing their resources to support Jesus and His disciples. It doesn't say the many others were only women.

The disciples collected donations from the public when Jesus spoke. The disciples used the money to pay for and distribute bread and water to the public during these gatherings and the disciples also used the money to support Jesus and their mission.

Something you're probably not aware of, one of the disciples was in charge of finances and he actually spent his entire life savings in support of Jesus. None of the other apostles ever knew that, but Jesus knew.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Mr Ananda
I hope you are well, and thank you ever so much for your comment.
I am extremely busy doing my PhD at the moment, I would like to put a couple of hours a day in meditation and knowledge seeking to learn about the subcontinental faith(s), however I am not too sure if you have been in the shoes of a middle-eastern person trying to engage in a conversation with a person from India, Pakistan or Bangladesh, are you aware of how protective they are and how they don't welcome people into their faith?

I don't see a problem learning about sikh or hindu or even Islam but it will take time, as I am heavily involved now in putting the score right with my studies first.

Can't say I have experienced what you talked about as being a middle-eastern person. I am a white-American; isn't the internet great that we can converse together, I love it!! But I've been to India on pilgrimmage and understand your point. However 98% of what I've learned about Indian spirituality comes from reading and the internet not from individual people. So once you complete your PhD with flying colors you'll have more time.

I think the paranormal is a concept one resorts to when the 'normal' don't work.
there's enough 'normal' in this world to convince anyone of great things.
what's the point making up miracles or even performing miracles if real life is more tasteful and easy and more enjoyable?

Thank you for the above but it didn't quite answer my question. I wasn't here asking just about your opinion on miracles. Do you believe miraculous things physically occur in the Coptic tradition that don't fit into the western scientific atheist-materialist world-view?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member

and I think he made the right call.

Xchristian

What I quoted is something I made up? Actually it's from the Urantia Book, published in the 1950's. Explains Jesus from before birth, birth, childhood, on His mission, and even after.

Dear Mr Universe
I have pre-booked your permission to speak freely, and never meant it that way.
all I meant is those events in the contribution, whether that's your own making or quoted from the 'Urantia' are all not in the new testament. They are what people hope that Jesus was, but not necessarily what he was. I gave an example which you corroporated below, have a look please:

You thought Jesus was dependant on Herod's business manager; Susanna for income? What it says is that Jesus took His twelves disciples, along with some women, and among the women was Susanna; and many others who were contributing their resources to support Jesus and His disciples. It doesn't say the many others were only women.

You talked about him being financially independent and actually doing business in carpentry, but in reality he was dependent on women to subsidise his existence. I didn't want to say that the first time around as for a lot of people it's actually insulting for a man to live off women's labour, espicially if they included ... (fill the space yourself)

The disciples collected donations from the public when Jesus spoke. The disciples used the money to pay for and distribute bread and water to the public during these gatherings and the disciples also used the money to support Jesus and their mission.

come back my good friend, let's not get carried away, jesus could feed 5000 with a loaf of bread [bibilical fact] , and he was dependent on women [bibilical fact] why make up another jesus who was rational?

Something you're probably not aware of, one of the disciples was in charge of finances and he actually spent his entire life savings in support of Jesus. None of the other apostles ever knew that, but Jesus knew.

pity .. I have it on good authority that this is not the case, let's see:

[Jn 12:4][ But Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples (the one who was about to betray him), said,]
[Jn 12:5][ "Why was this perfume not sold for three hundred denarii and the money given to the poor?"]
[Jn 12:6][ (He said this not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief; he kept the common purse and used to steal what was put into it.)]

So he WAS known, and he WAS a good person,
I will assume you were right, blind my eye to my knowledge, fine.
How did you know what all the diciples didn't know? ..
only jesus knew, how comes you know? ..
I had a very good Jesus myself, till Mr Ehrman taught me to read again.

The problem is that you think you are farther along in Jesus theory than the rest of us. All the time you spent studying two thousand year old ideas took you backwards, now you have to catch up.

I am not, I am just stuck to the books, they're old alright, but another jesus will most likely be more disasterous than the one the scribes made up.

thanks

Xchristian

I love it!! But I've been to India on pilgrimmage and understand your point.

if I get anywhere near the subcontinent, I will end up in an island very near you, called Guantanamo, I am sure you know about it [no pun intended]
I know of a Brazillian that got shot in the tube (subway for you) in the UK because he looks middle-eastern, a Bengali in the UK got shot by the police, planes that were stopped because an Arab knelt to pick a toothpick, .. etc

It's not that easy, honestly, not for us anyway, perhaps they welcome white people, for obvious reasons, but Arab-looking? .. not a chance.

You know in Egypt, I have seen women being dragged to the monastery and put in prisons, some of them were given mind breaking drugs, and some got killed, would you believe it if I told you Egyptian monks are keeping lions to scare some who have left jesus to another faith (that includes catholicsism)

Do you believe miraculous things physically occur in the Coptic tradition that don't fit into the western scientific atheist-materialist world-view?

to be honest I have seen loads of miracles, some are holograms, appearances of Mary, some are prolly genuine, to do with ghosts and that, my end product is very frightening, the whole concept has become blurred.
whether by western standards or even children's imagination.
Coptic church depends so much on terrorism by way of miracles that you fear for your dear life, and can't rationalise things anymore.

otokage007

hello all,

I'm always amazed by christians that born hardcore christians and somehow they manage to get out of christianity. That's quite an impressive merit.