• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Humans Carry More Bacterial Cells than Human Ones You are more bacteria than you are you, according

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
What fascinates me the most about this is that it means that we could be more accurately described as a colony, or microcosm than as an individual.

apophenia

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What fascinates me the most about this is that it means that we could be more accurately described as a colony, or microcosm than as an individual.
No, that's all wrong!
We're each a single organism, & we use our "human privilege" to dominate & exploit powerless innocent organisms.

Amleth

antitheist
No, that's all wrong!
We're each a single organism, & we use our "human privilege" to dominate & exploit powerless innocent organisms.

Yes, that's mostly right!

Except that the dominance & exploitation go both ways, and there's great power in great numbers, and there can be no innocence without possibility of guilt.

Still fascinating though..

(apologies in advance if I don't get the quoting correct)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, that's mostly right!
Except that the dominance & exploitation go both ways, and there's great power in great numbers, and there can be no innocence without possibility of guilt.
Still fascinating though..
(apologies in advance if I don't get the quoting correct)

I try to ignore the fact that these organisms get benefit from me....that would mean symbiosis. I prefer to feel like the lord & master over my pitiful serfs.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
This has been known for quite some time, but old news can be fun news nevertheless.

Not sure what this has to do with "believing" in evolution, though. It moreso poses philosophical questions of identity and self.

shawn001

This has been known for quite some time, but old news can be fun news nevertheless.

Not sure what this has to do with "believing" in evolution, though. It moreso poses philosophical questions of identity and self.

Of course all those organisms evolved with us along the way.
Lets take Lice for example, because they found out somethings about our evolution with Lice.

Head-scratching puzzle: What lice have to say about human evolution

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/08/health/08iht-lice.4842725.html?_r=0

Lice Reveal Clues to Human Evolution

Lice Reveal Clues to Human Evolution

The viruses into our genome

20 Things You Didn't Know About... Viruses
The one with its own satellite, the ones that made you, and the Mama of them all

"14 In fact, scratch the whole concept of “us versus them.” Half of all human DNA originally came from viruses, which infected and embedded themselves in our ancestors’ egg and sperm cells."

20 Things You Didn't Know About... Viruses | DiscoverMagazine.com