• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Humanism

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I'll start by saying I thought humanism a bunch of self-inflating garbage.

I guess I really didn't know that much about it. So from a site I found.

Some basic tenets,
Humanistic psychology begins with the existential assumptions that people have free will:
People are basically good, and have an innate need to make themselves and the world better:
People are motivated to self-actualize:
The subjective, conscious experiences of the individual is most important:
Humanism rejects scientific methodology:
Humanism rejected comparative psychology (the study of animals) because it does not tell us anything about the unique properties of human beings:

https://www.simplypsychology.org/humanistic.html

Can't really say there's anything here I'd disagree with so maybe I ought to reevaluate my previous opinion. :shrug:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Some basic tenets,
Humanistic psychology begins with the existential assumptions that people have free will:
People are basically good, and have an innate need to make themselves and the world better:
Humanism rejected comparative psychology (the study of animals) because it does not tell us anything about the unique properties of human beings:

Can't really say there's anything here I'd disagree with so maybe I ought to reevaluate my previous opinion. :shrug:
This is the humanistic approach to psychology, not humanism per se.
eg Humanism looks to science as a basis; contrary to "rejects scientific methodology."

"looking to science rather than revelation from a supernatural source to understand the world."
- Humanism - Wikipedia

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

I did not know much about it, and I thought that they were humane people

Some basic tenets,

Thank you for sharing. That sounds quite positive

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Some basic tenets,

As a secular humanist, I would quibble a bit with the definition above, but I agree on the large strokes.

MNoBody

excepting that "human" as a term needs to be defined less vaguely....just to be able to tag an "ism" onto that don-key;)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
This is the humanistic approach to psychology, not humanism per se.
eg Humanism looks to science as a basis; contrary to "rejects scientific methodology."

"looking to science rather than revelation from a supernatural source to understand the world."
- Humanism - Wikipedia

However, what science seems to leave out is a qualitative factor. I think this means to humans quality is as important as quantity. Somethings science can't evaluate like the conscious experience of fear or love.So even though we can't quantify love it is still a factor in the human experience worth investigating.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
excepting that "human" as a term needs to be defined less vaguely....just to be able to tag an "ism" onto that don-key;)

Well, there's more to look at. I just know some people identify with humanism.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Well, there's more to look at. I just know some people identify with humanism.

Off the cuff, I'd say that my definition of secular humanism would be something like: SHists believe that we are largely in charge of our own destiny, that we can solve our problems for ourselves without "help" from supernatural beings, and that religion should be kept separate from governments.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Some basic tenets,

I haven't looked into humanism too deep myself, though I didn't find it objectionable yet.

What I question is the placement of this OP. Isn't humanism a philosophy? Do you regard it as a religion?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I haven't looked into humanism too deep myself, though I didn't find it objectionable yet.

What I question is the placement of this OP. Isn't humanism a philosophy? Do you regard it as a religion?

:shrug:

I think there is a trend (among Theists) to see a lot of secular philosophies as religion. It doesn't bother me if folks want to call it a religion, not that important IMO.

Heyo

Veteran Member
:shrug:

I think there is a trend (among Theists) to see a lot of secular philosophies as religion. It doesn't bother me if folks want to call it a religion, not that important IMO.
You have posted this under "General Religious Debates" instead of under "Philosophy". It is a religious debate now.
But I agree that it isn't that important. Humanism can have the effect of an ersatz religion - but it doesn't have to. (The early) humanism was thought of by religious people and one can have a religion and be a humanist at the same time.
Though not a secular humanist. I have the feeling that secular humanism means atheistic humanism to most.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Well, I am religious and a secular humanist, so I deal with humanism as secular; it allows for religion as long as it is private. Humanism is not atheistic per se.

I can "translate" my private religion to general secular humanism, so no. It doesn't have to be atheistic.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Some basic tenets,

There is nothing on that list that I disagree with.
I believe that people have free will.
I believe that humans have unique properties that differ from animals.
I believe that people are basically good, and have an innate need to make themselves and the world better.
The fact that not all people behave that way does not mean they were not born with that potential.
Baha'is believe humans were born good, not born in sin inherited from Adam and Eve.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Off the cuff, I'd say that my definition of secular humanism would be something like: SHists believe that we are largely in charge of our own destiny, that we can solve our problems for ourselves without "help" from supernatural beings, and that religion should be kept separate from governments.

I'd add that some people that seem to be basically secular humanists (ie. me) don't necessarily identify as such. Call it fear of group labelling, or something. But the basic tenets of humanism make sense to me.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Unfortunately, I have not seen any evidence for that.

You need to meet better people...
(I certainly get that it's not universal, but I know plenty of people who do see try to improve both themselves and the lives of those around them.)

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
@Nakosis

I don't know where you got the idea that humanism rejects scientific method.

This was what was stated in the link I provided.

Rogers and Maslow placed little value on scientific psychology, especially the use of the psychology laboratory to investigate both human and animal behavior.
Humanism rejects scientific methodology like experiments and typically uses qualitative research methods. For example, diary accounts, open-ended questionnaires, unstructured interviews and unstructured observations.
Qualitative research is useful for studies at the individual level, and to find out, in depth, the ways in which people think or feel (e.g. case studies).
The way to really understand other people is to sit down and talk with them, share their experiences and be open to their feelings.

IOW there is more to being human than quantitative studies.

It's like going to the doctor and they ask what your pain level is 1-10. I never really know how to answer that one.