• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Human Stages of Development

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Greetings.
We human beings develop through stages common to other human beings as we grow from babies to full adults. We may develop to different stages at our personal ‘end points.’ The stages have been studied and classified and tests have been developed to determine the stage of development to which one has progressed. (There is a web site where you can get the test but there is a significant charge.) Bill Harris has given us a good write-up of the stages as defined by Piaget and then at the following address extended the discussion based on work by Loevinger and Harvard Grad Dr. Cook-Greuter. These latter focused on the development of one’s sense of self rather than on merely cognitive development.
http://www.centerpointe.com/blog/2008/03/05/making-sense-of-who-you-are/

[Harris continues detail discussion at the following:
http://www.centerpointe.com/blog/2008/03/10/everything-is-relativeright/
http://www.centerpointe.com/blog/2008/03/24/the-strategist-the-highest-expression-of-the-individual-me/
http://www.centerpointe.com/blog/2008/04/07/the-magician-no-longer-just-an-ego-in-a-bag-of-skin/
http://www.centerpointe.com/blog/2008/04/28/beyond-the-separate-self-the-unitive-stage-of-development/]

Discussion of the stages here would make this OP too long but, to give an idea, here is a greatly condensed list of recommended terms by Harris: “…I would suggest thinking of them, in general, as archaic (essentially, babies and people who are completely dependent), preconventional (those who don’t yet understand the laws of cause and effect and the general “ways of the world”–children), followed by conventional, postconventional, and unitive.”

Please look over descriptions of these stages at the given web site(s) according to your own interest and if you wish address one or more of the following questions or make any comment:

What stage of development do you consider right for you?
Do you think there is a relation between our stage of development and our religious view and concept of God?
If not you, have you known someone that has developed to the ‘unitive’ stage?
Do you consider the ‘sense-of-self’ of the various stages to be reality or just something created by the mind?

Regards,
a..1

Last edited:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member

Hi,
I had a quick look at the links, but I'm supposed to be studying so I didn't read them all the way through :)
I'm not sure about stage theories of development. I think they're a bit of a blunt instrument. I think they rest on a domain general conceptualization of development and I'm not inclined to agree with the idea of domain general development. I think people develop in domain specific ways that don't fit with global concepts like stage theories.
But I'm a long way from figuring it out properly.

Do you consider the ‘sense-of-self’ of the various stages to be reality or just something created by the mind?

I think this is one of the hardest questions of all. I do believe in the self but I haven't even nearly got to grips with that either

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
I look forward to your final answer.:) (Just watched an add on the game show 'who wants to be a millionaire' where only the 'final answer' counts.)

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

This is the trickiest of questions, you know :)

Do you think there is a relation between our stage of development and our religious view and concept of God?

Definitely. To younger children God is above all a provider and a source of unquestioned security. More mature people tend to think of God as someone whose wishes should be understood and cooperated with, or as a symbolic concept.

If not you, have you known someone that has developed to the ‘unitive’ stage?

I believe that pretty much everyone has flashes of insight that create such a state of mind, yes. And that nearly everyone falls down from such state fairly quickly. But it does vary a lot, due to lots of factors both personal and environmental.

Sense of self is always a mental ilusion.

Incidentally, I would like to mention that Ken Wilber has a few books that dwell heavily on this matter.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Thank you for responding, Luisdantas. Your answers are worthy of note. Your comment on Ken Wilbur is appreciated and interesting. Bill Harris and Ken Wilbur know each other and have done some activities together. They have an online discussion on Eckhart Tolle.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
My pleasure, Autonomous. And thanks for the info about Bill Harris and Ken Wilber. I did not know that.

Are you aware of Spiral Dynamics? It is a language that Wilber uses a lot to describe these things.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I've only read the unitive one... but it seems to veer from psychology to spirituality...

Life to the Unitive is a temporary eye-blink of separation from the ground of being from which all things emerge. And, the Unitive is aware that this separation, this taking of a human form, is a choice.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
I've only read the unitive one... but it seems to veer from psychology to spirituality...
Greetings Emu. Thank you for taking the time to check out the unitive stage and give your observation. The veering you sense may come from the way Harris writes of the stage - he is heavy into Enlightenment - and language is insufficient for this stage imo. Perhaps spirituality aspects are intertwined with the stage at this level. The unitive stage is likely to result from development through spirituality but, in my understanding, it is a psychological state and profile with a perspective of self and world (with corresponding criteria) that an individual may have and that can be identified through tests in a repeatable fashion.

If you have interest and can afford any more time for this subject your observation after reading about another stage, say one of the conventional ones instead of the post conventional unitive, would be of interest.

Regards,
a..1

Last edited:

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
...Are you aware of Spiral Dynamics? It is a language that Wilber uses a lot to describe these things.
Wanted to thank you, LuisDantas, for Spiral Dynamics and the Wikipedia link. Took a look at it but will have to do more study to understand.

Would it be fair to say that SD differs from what Harris describes by having a 'person/culture' human nature emphasis throughout time whereas Harris' descriptions are specifically for the individual development from birth through life with a sense-of-self focus. From the little bit of info available in WP, the Harris Unitive stage would seem to be compatible with the Turquoise sacrificing self-interest human nature phase. Some principles are common to both - for example, Each new model includes and transcends all previous models.

Another interesting fact - upon checking the web site of Dr. Cook-Greuter where one can be tested one discovers that the Dr. is a founding member of Ken Wilber's Integral Institute. Incidentally, the test costs $325 minimum.

Regards,
a..1

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Would it be fair to say that SD differs from what Harris describes by having a 'person/culture' human nature emphasis throughout time whereas Harris' descriptions are specifically for the individual development from birth through life with a sense-of-self focus.

I don't think there is that much difference, really. Although it is true that SD has been extended to encompass also the emphasis that you attribute to it.

From the little bit of info available in WP, the Harris Unitive stage would seem to be compatible with the Turquoise sacrificing self-interest human nature phase. Some principles are common to both - for example, each new model includes and transcends all previous models.

In Wilber's usage at least the Unitive Stage is called the "Second Tier" and is itself divided in various colors. The first Second Stage color would be yellow (integrative), followed by Turquoise (holistic) and presumably other colors that are yet so rare as to not be quite understood yet.

These links may perhaps be of use.

Ken Wilber Online: The War In Iraq
Levels of Development

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Yes, those two links are very useful in understanding Wilber's Integral approach and levels. Enjoyed them - thanks. In relation to the OP, it is interesting to note from Wikipedia that Wilber's conception of the level is clearly based on several theories of developmental psychology; among these are Piaget's theory of cognitive development and Jane Loevenger's stages of ego development. Dr. Cook-Greuter is noted for work based on Loevenger's stages but for extending the stages. The Harris reference in the OP is based on these theories also.

Incidentally, why do you think there is so little interest in this subject here in RF? Is it because most posters are first tier and those few that are second tier don't need to? Ken Wilber states, "....which are called first tier, each of which believes that its value system is the only true, correct, or deeply worthwhile value system in existence."

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Well, more than 90% of all people are first tier. I believe RF actually has a higher-than-average incidence of second-tier people, because people who are certain to hold the one true view are less likely to want such close interaction with other worldviews.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Greetings, LuisDantas. Do you have a good link where one can find a thorough explanation of the second tier turquoise?

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
To be frank, I don't think it is quite possible to have a good explanation of turquoise with text alone.

I've found these two brief descriptions, however:

Dr. Don Beck: The Never-Ending Upward Quest
Ken Wilber: The Integral Vision (essay)
Greetings Luis. Finally was able to read these links - also good ones to take one up through second tier turquoise.

Here is an interesting note - Ken Wilber and Andrew Cohen are already working with third tier (indigo or coral). Third tier combines the highest stage with the highest state - the latter being more like the highest point in my op and including living a transpersonal and non-dualistic sense of self. Here is the article posted by Rolling_Stone in another thread. Andrew Cohen & Ken Wilber in dialogue: The Leading Edge of the Leading Edge