• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Human Hallucination normal?

Sententia

I was listening to free thought radio and heard the cuttlefish, octupus, squid etc evolved their eye in a different process then most other creatures.

Humans actually have a blind spot in their normal vision. To make up for this our mind just makes up what it thinks should be there and displays that to you. We hallucinate what we think is probably there.

Obviously this is not a perfect design. Other animals don't have this problem. You can test out your blindspot with a few optical illusions:

Blind Spot and "Filling-in" phenomenon

Then when your bored have a look at this
Denton vs Squid; the eye as suboptimal design. - The Panda's Thumb

:)

meogi

Yep. Although it doesn't just 'make it up,' but blends it in with whats around it. And the blind spot is continually moving... your brain makes a LOT of assumptions about what's where and why. Especially moving objects.

My brain can make some pretty interesting assumptions. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
When I was about 12, I saw a ghost. It was very very real at the time. However a group of us had just finished playig Ouija, and we were all hyper worked up. I was shaking with fright (I am sure one of the group had been cheating), and saw a white figure pass through the wall.
Was it real? Was it heck. My state of mind was tense, I was worked up, and scared...my brain filled in the rest.
Yep. hallucination is all too real. It is a pity that so many take these experiences as true.
I didn't thankfully. In fact it probably began my personal ascension to the complete atheist and paranormal disbeliever I am today :)

Jeremy Mason

Yep. Although it doesn't just 'make it up,' but blends it in with whats around it. And the blind spot is continually moving... your brain makes a LOT of assumptions about what's where and why. Especially moving objects.

My brain can make some pretty interesting assumptions. :)

:D It sure has got a reputation for good times. Unfortunately, it has scared the crap out of some people who were not mentally ready for it's abilities.

I like the movie What The Bleep Do We Know. Perception and reality can and often are quite different.

Last edited by a moderator:

logician

The brain under tremendous stress, or drugs, can easily hear and see things that are not there. I have experienced this, but recognized it for what it was.

Heneni

Miss Independent
When I was about 12, I saw a ghost. It was very very real at the time. However a group of us had just finished playig Ouija, and we were all hyper worked up. I was shaking with fright (I am sure one of the group had been cheating), and saw a white figure pass through the wall.
Was it real? Was it heck. My state of mind was tense, I was worked up, and scared...my brain filled in the rest.
Yep. hallucination is all too real. It is a pity that so many take these experiences as true.
I didn't thankfully. In fact it probably began my personal ascension to the complete atheist and paranormal disbeliever I am today :)

Playing ouija board hey? Did the marker move or not?

we actualy never stop halucinating since we keep filling in the blind spot with colour

Heneni

Miss Independent
Of course. But I suspect cheating. Just like on any game of Ouija where the marker does move... :)

How sure are you about your suspicions? Very sure..sort of sure...not sure at all?

That ouija board....is a bummer. How many times did you play it?

Heneni

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Basically all vertebrates have the blind spot, eyes developed by inverts don't have this problem. It has to do with how the optic nerve is wired to the eyeball.

Indeed, invertebrates have the best eyes on the planet. When God was handing out body parts the inverts got the top pick in that category.
The mantis shrimp has by far the best eyes on the planet.

wa:do

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
How sure are you about your suspicions? Very sure..sort of sure...not sure at all?

That ouija board....is a bummer. How many times did you play it?

Heneni
Possibly more than 100 in my younger days. All good fun, although these days I wouldn't waste my time on such frivolities. Give me a couple of beers and a sci-fi DVD instead :)

Sententia

Not for those with epilepsy....

But if you want to see an example of hallucination...

Neave Strobe ...like dropping acid, but not

Quite Trippy. hehe.

More fun:
11brain2axx__1231575167_0544.jpg

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I hallucinate quite a lot while I sleep!!

And this blind spot thing isn't really hallucinating... it's covered by your other eye ;)

If your left eye can't see it for the blind spot, your right eye will. And vice versa. It's not until you cover up one eye that you can "see" the blind spot.

Sententia

And this blind spot thing isn't really hallucinating... it's covered by your other eye ;)

If your left eye can't see it for the blind spot, your right eye will. And vice versa. It's not until you cover up one eye that you can "see" the blind spot.

Here is a filling in illusion. You can look with both eyes on this one... your mind should clean up the image and make the smudges go away unless you stop staring at the center and check again hehe..

fi1.jpg

Sententia

If you get bored you can try the ganzfeld experiment... it is quite cool.

I had a period of very crazy dreams by setting my alarm to a station of pure static. It was accidental and I was late to work a lot but good waking dreams. ;)

leahrachelle

I was listening to free thought radio and heard the cuttlefish, octupus, squid etc evolved their eye in a different process then most other creatures.

Humans actually have a blind spot in their normal vision. To make up for this our mind just makes up what it thinks should be there and displays that to you. We hallucinate what we think is probably there.

Obviously this is not a perfect design. Other animals don't have this problem. You can test out your blindspot with a few optical illusions:

Blind Spot and "Filling-in" phenomenon

Then when your bored have a look at this
Denton vs Squid; the eye as suboptimal design. - The Panda's Thumb

:)

That is so cool :)) I really like the X one